What are you guys storing your media on?

Performance has to match the task at hand. A server that's sole job is to store videos and music doesn't need to be high performance, making it far easier to choose the right option. Write-once, read-many usage patterns don't need fast write. If people need production servers and/or a server that does both, then I think all the things mentioned are good options as well.

I can't believe nobody has suggested ZFS yet!
Many people use ZFS because it protects against data corruption. That is actually the only reason I use ZFS, the other is just icing on the cake: performance, gratis, snapshot, easiness of administration, etc.

If you are going to store media only, then data protection is not that important. It does not really matter if a few pixels change colour in one frame. So data corruption protection is not important in this media server case. So the main reason to use ZFS does not apply in this scenario.

If you do not care about your data, then you dont have to run ZFS. That is the reason no one has suggested ZFS in this media server thread. I think.

Sure, I heard about people that got silent data corruption on one disk in a raid-5, and later another disk crashed. So they inserted a new disk and repaired the raid. When the raid encountered the data corruption, it could not continue to repair the data and the whole raid was lost. But if you use raid-6 the chance of this occuring is less. Thus, use raid-6 on a media server. (Or just use ZFS.)

wd 2 tb hard drive. Looking to get another to mirror. I never thought I would have enough data to justify such a big drive. LOL

wd 2 tb hard drive. Looking to get another to mirror. I never thought I would have enough data to justify such a big drive. LOL

I hear ya. I have a 2TB WD elements drive on my WDTV Live and it's getting full. Storing movies at 100% quality is costly on hard drive real estate. I may have to move to a redundant NAS...

I hear ya. I have a 2TB WD elements drive on my WDTV Live and it's getting full. Storing movies at 100% quality is costly on hard drive real estate. I may have to move to a redundant NAS...

Are you guys kidding? I eat 2 TB drives for lunch. I ordered a 3TB WD for $130 the other day.

Back