What are you doing with your hardware if you stopped mining?

klippel

Limp Gawd
I stopped mining after the ETH event. I have sold several of my GPUs, but i have an 8 bay 2400W mining rig that is just sitting around now. What are you guys doing with your stuff? And is there a place to sell/buy gear for mining specifically? I am working on getting 100 posts so i can sell on this site, but i dont see a lot of mining rigs for sale these days.

I was planning to keep my cards in the hopes of another coin coming along.. however a new generation of cards had higher MSRP and allowed me to sell the cards i was sitting on for 80% so i opted to get most of my money back. I kept the 6600xts for future gaming rigs, friends, family, etc. Kept a 6900xt powercolor for myself :)

I see a lot of rigs being sold locally and showing them mining eth. Not entirely sure why, other than to scam. Sorry, off topic.

I sold everything. You could always use the rack and remaining cards for Distributed Computing. The forums has a team.

motqalden Gillbot

I see a lot of rigs being sold locally and showing them mining eth. Not entirely sure why, other than to scam. Sorry, off topic.

I sold everything. You could always use the rack and remaining cards for Distributed Computing. The forums has a team.

motqalden Gillbot
Praying on people who dont pay attention to the news likely who still think mining will make them rich.

Depending on what hardware you have you could try out machine learning stuff. Running someone else's models on your computer doesn't take much power and can be done on a regular desktop, but if you want to create your own models based off your own dataset it's pretty GPU-intensive. I invested into a mixture of CPU + GPU mining and I have a lot of spare pci-e lanes I'm not taking advantage of, so I was thinking of using ribbon cables instead of risers and organizing my GPUs a little better to get into that more (having everything as a single type GPU per rig seems to keep things simple). The only other thing I'm concerned about is that my network connections between computers are slow and running on old switches, so I'd probably want to upgrade all that as well which could get pricey.

Depending on what hardware you have you could try out machine learning stuff. Running someone else's models on your computer doesn't take much power and can be done on a regular desktop, but if you want to create your own models based off your own dataset it's pretty GPU-intensive. I invested into a mixture of CPU + GPU mining and I have a lot of spare pci-e lanes I'm not taking advantage of, so I was thinking of using ribbon cables instead of risers and organizing my GPUs a little better to get into that more (having everything as a single type GPU per rig seems to keep things simple). The only other thing I'm concerned about is that my network connections between computers are slow and running on old switches, so I'd probably want to upgrade all that as well which could get pricey.
That is a neat idea. What would you be using ML for?
And i can attest to just how pricey upgrading the network can get...i just bought a Unifi Dream Machine SE and now on top of that i need to get 10gb cards, SFPs and new cables for my servers which sucks. Luckily my desktop has built in 2.5gb but with nothing else that speed, it doesnt do me any good currently.

The machine learning is interesting...not sure how or what to do or annnything.

I first upgraded my personal PC and my son's to 3090/80.

Then I put my 1080ti in my emby box.

Then I box everything else up and it is in my basement...not sure what to do with it. Two are on waterblock, so pretty niche.

That is a neat idea. What would you be using ML for?
And i can attest to just how pricey upgrading the network can get...i just bought a Unifi Dream Machine SE and now on top of that i need to get 10gb cards, SFPs and new cables for my servers which sucks. Luckily my desktop has built in 2.5gb but with nothing else that speed, it doesnt do me any good currently.
I'd probably do AI art stuff at first, but would also be interested in whatever else is easy to setup and does cool stuff. Chatbots like gpt3 still suck IMO so I wouldn't bother with that, especially since I don't want to get into the coding side of things, but I'd love to train an algorithm like someone did recently for the Joe rogan AI podcast but with a different person and create something like a more advanced version of the old Arnold soundboards we used to play with.

I’ve been casually checking on NiceHash posts to see what the next long shot coin is (if they’ll pay, it must have promise). Still on the sideline, though. I’ll always have big compute due to my PC gaming addiction (and my sons) - so any cool use case is welcomed!

motqalden Gillbot
Very much this. You can still claim some crypto while doing it but it won't be at an initial profit. However, I find that running it during cold months can both subsidize the heat bill a little bit while still contributing to science. I am also hopeful for a new coin to switch my cards to when something pops up but my cards getting too old now.

Very much this. You can still claim some crypto while doing it but it won't be at an initial profit. However, I find that running it during cold months can both subsidize the heat bill a little bit while still contributing to science. I am also hopeful for a new coin to switch my cards to when something pops up but my cards getting too old now.
I just realised I tagged the wrong person. You were who I meant to. Fat fingers!

Back