What are you doing now?

Thomas R

Weaksauce
Only a view weeks I'm folding with my 4P rig.
Your help was great to get my rig chrunching.

Now, with the New constellation of benchmarking the ppd, I'm demotivated and will end folding.

What will you do?

Last edited:
Buy more GPUs, thing will change back and forth. Don't put all your money into one type of system. Go with which system give you more ppd/$ in the long run, where $ is cost of electricity and components. You need to be good in financial management otherwise you will be broke.

Its not like the 4P is going to lose anything the way they are talking about doing it, its one Beta WU so I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet and abandon the whole thing. Don't lose your motivation, that is still an awesome machine and anything helps. How do you think people folding on old C2D machines making 2000 PPD feel?

I think you are jumping the gun.

The new GPU units are not even out of beta.
4P is still a very good folder
4P can do math that GPUs can't
4P can work on WU way larger than any GPU can

PG can't ignore those facts. If they do, people will shut down their 4Ps, like you. Thus loosing valuable resources.

What will you do?

Continue to fight the good fight.

The fight is a worthy fight.

The foe is more powerful than any one of us. We must fight together to slay the dragon.

Continue to fight the good fight.

The fight is a worthy fight.

The foe is more powerful than any one of us. We must fight together to slay the dragon.

I will continue to fight the beast with each machine or component whatever it might be. The beast took my wife's mom from her when she was in seventh grade. We met in high school and I was never able to meet her.

I will fight on in her name.

How do you think people folding on old C2D machines making 2000 PPD feel?

I'm folding by my Self with two C2D machines. I know how much points are to make with this small cpu's.

@Kendrak
PG ignors many things and facts.
I don't believe that we 4P rig folder's have enough power again nVidia, so that PG must pay attention to us.

@Pocatello
If two GTX680 can do how much ppd as my 4P rig, I think my rig can do more in another project.

After reading the gromacs 4.6 release notes, I'm hoping that the hybrid CPU/GPU mode will be implemented, then try 2P with dual GPU :cool:

It must be time for electric companies to raise rates again. That must be why Stanford is lowering points again. As electricity goes up, points go down equally. That way we are paying more for less of nothing. I have noticed that my phenom II x6 1075T has been slowly loosing points. In the middle of this summer I was pushing 13k PPD. Now I am lucky to make 10K PPD. I have the same feeling as you, if they keep reducing my nothing, then I might as well only fold while I am on my computer.

I don't rage quit...
I will fold on.
While I don't agree with the current evaluation of the beta wu.
I will not run and hide. I will make a case with the others as to why I think things should be a certain way but ultimately PG will go the way PG will go.

I think many are jumping the gun... and there is much the folders can do.
but for now be patient while the beta team does their job and helps mold the production values.

I'm building my first 4P albeit with older hardware but if I need to I will find a way to budget for a decent gpu or 2 other than my GTX-460.

I don't rage quit...
I will fold on.
While I don't agree with the current evaluation of the beta wu.
I will not run and hide. I will make a case with the others as to why I think things should be a certain way but ultimately PG will go the way PG will go.

I think many are jumping the gun... and there is much the folders can do.
but for now be patient while the beta team does their job and helps mold the production values.

Exactly. I'm on the beta team and I readily tell PG what needs to be told. Way too soon to make any conclusions about where the final point assessment will be. I have a 4P as well as 11 GPUs. I loooooove me some points, but at the end of the day, my 200+ million points plus £5 will buy a cup of fancy coffee.

What I'm really aiming for is that my 150,000 WU will make an impact on diseases that have made my family's lives short and painful. Rage quit? Hell no. I'm here to slay the beast.

Stay the course, make an impact, change history, be a part of it.

Fold on.

Almost one month since I built my dedicated 2P rig and joined the [H]orde. Most units I have been folding 24/7 (8101) appear to focus on influenza virus. This project is 1 340 422 atoms, which is far beyond what single GPUs can do (100 00 - 200 000 atoms).

Hopefully the beta team's feedback will be taken into account and Stanford will build a QRB system in which we have thanks to new GROMACS increasing points for :
1/ GPU/SMP 5x projects : same TPF, same points - faster TPF, more points
2/ GPU/SMP 20x projects : same TPF, same points - faster TPF, more points
3/ Bigadv SMP... and maybe one day multiple GPU through SLI : same TPF, same points - faster TPF, more points

As highlighted in tear's analysis (see http://http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1725242), this kind of 5x/20x setup would ensure "equal points for equal work" but not stable PPD for a given hardware depending whether 5x/20x projects are picked up.

However, with a good assignment algorithm and projects running on GPU and SMP (that still needs to happen !), it may be possible to mix 5x/20x assignments to give a fair "12,5x average" to single GPUs/ single CPUs available, then fastest hardware shall be more rewarded. Then multiple CPUs and later SLI GPUs would get higher rewards thanks to bigger number of atoms they can fold faster.

Just speculating here. :D

But it would be a fair incentive for both single CPUs and GPUs folders, and hardware enthusiasts running multiple CPUs and multiple GPUs.

Until it gets clearer... fold on !!!

Exactly. I'm on the beta team and I readily tell PG what needs to be told. Way too soon to make any conclusions about where the final point assessment will be. I have a 4P as well as 11 GPUs. I loooooove me some points, but at the end of the day, my 200+ million points plus £5 will buy a cup of fancy coffee.

What I'm really aiming for is that my 150,000 WU will make an impact on diseases that have made my family's lives short and painful. Rage quit? Hell no. I'm here to slay the beast.

Stay the course, make an impact, change history, be a part of it.

Fold on.

+1

GPU or 4P, i'll still be building systems.

I will keep folding in general but may cut down on some of the SMP folding I do at home. This is due to electricity costs, and I would just want to move towards a more efficient method of folding (power-wise). If the points end up being really big for GPU's, I may try and see if I can get a hold of a few fermi cards to fold on, some of them can be had for not too spendy. I can also fold on the GPU (680m/Kepler) in my laptop. I really wish they came out with a fast AMD core, you know to put the true power of GCN to use.. I have two 7970's that would love to fold...

If they could truely make it worth while to fold on AMD cards then I have 5 HD5850 I would put to good use for them. But doing all SMP folding on my computers net better points.

Instead of panicking and buying hardware I'm going to build one of these.

In other words, nothing

Last edited:
I will keep folding in general but may cut down on some of the SMP folding I do at home. This is due to electricity costs, and I would just want to move towards a more efficient method of folding (power-wise). If the points end up being really big for GPU's, I may try and see if I can get a hold of a few fermi cards to fold on, some of them can be had for not too spendy. I can also fold on the GPU (680m/Kepler) in my laptop. I really wish they came out with a fast AMD core, you know to put the true power of GCN to use.. I have two 7970's that would love to fold...

Don't forget about the DC Commandos. Those 7970s could do some nice work with BOINC.

I also agree.

Don't panic!

dontpanictowel.jpg

It helps to have a towel.

Don't forget about the DC Commandos. Those 7970s could do some nice work with BOINC.

Yeah, I have done some crunching for BOINC, but most of those projects don't really appeal to me that much.

That is, how the situation looks for me:
I can´t believe, that two GTX680 with a core-clock from 2,2GHz (2 x 1,1GHz) can do the work at the same time as my 4P rig with 160GHz.
I´m not a technician, but my sense speaks to me and it say´s -- no way!
If GPU´s are so much better than CPU´s, why do we not use GPU´s as the better CPU´s?

For the case that it is reality that GPU suggests CPU, my investment in this 4P rig was a big error and I´m angry about.
There are much enough folders with nVidia-GPU´s.
Perhaps I can do better work with my rig in another project as F@H.

That is, how the situation looks for me:
I can´t believe, that two GTX680 with a core-clock from 2,2GHz (2 x 1,1GHz) can do the work at the same time as my 4P rig with 160GHz.
I´m not a technician, but my sense speaks to me and it say´s -- no way!
If GPU´s are so much better than CPU´s, why do we not use GPU´s as the better CPU´s?

For the case that it is reality that GPU suggests CPU, my investment in this 4P rig was a big error and I´m angry about.
There are much enough folders with nVidia-GPU´s.
Perhaps I can do better work with my rig in another project as F@H.

I will buy the 4P off you if you are that unhappy.

Back