What are you buying in the bear market?

Andrew_Carr

2[H]4U
I'm thinking the 3xxx series will be kind of like the 1xxx and have one more bull-run left in it before they're obsolete, especially with the gimped memory bus on the 4xxx series, so I've kept my cards for now. Not sure if I'll pick up more while they're cheap or see what next gen comes along with. What are you guys looking at? I was thinking of picking these things people are unloading for cheap now:

-Titanium ATX PSUs (~$200 for a evga T2. I've had a few server PSUs burn-out so I'm moving away from those).
-Server cases (5.5 - 6U @ $130/ea now. Space inefficient but easy to setup).
-Maybe some older x3d Ryzen chips when they get cheaper. They're twice as efficient as other ryzen chips at raptoreum so I think long-term they'll be worth it.
-Always on the look-out for older HPC server cases. These are the most space-efficient that I've found (12 GPUs @ 4U) and usually have all the remote management, platinum PSUs, etc. stuff that you want, but sometimes the prices are insane for a barebones case. Hoping that the AMD epyc based ones will become available cheaply soon.

Where are you seeing the $130 6U server cases at? I'd definitely be in the market for a few of those.

Where are you seeing the $130 6U server cases at? I'd definitely be in the market for a few of those.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353868577672
Just click watch on anything you're interested in and eventually they'll send you an offer for a ~10% discount. These ones are well-built and fit perfectly in a server rack, but being 5.5U you might have trouble with massive GPUs (not sure on 4xxx series, but the larger 3xxx series can be annoying). The 6U ones here aren't built from as high quality of metal and they're much more of a snug fit in server racks so they're a pain in the ass to install, but they're easier to fit larger cards in. The 6U ones are easier to reverse the fans on so you have the PSU and GPU heat exhausting all in the same direction. The 5.5U you could do that as well, but the back is wide open so if you put them in backwards it could be a bit tricky with being too accessible to kids, etc. that might walk into the server room.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353868577672
Just click watch on anything you're interested in and eventually they'll send you an offer for a ~10% discount. These ones are well-built and fit perfectly in a server rack, but being 5.5U you might have trouble with massive GPUs (not sure on 4xxx series, but the larger 3xxx series can be annoying). The 6U ones here aren't built from as high quality of metal and they're much more of a snug fit in server racks so they're a pain in the ass to install, but they're easier to fit larger cards in. The 6U ones are easier to reverse the fans on so you have the PSU and GPU heat exhausting all in the same direction. The 5.5U you could do that as well, but the back is wide open so if you put them in backwards it could be a bit tricky with being too accessible to kids, etc. that might walk into the server room.

Should the 4xxx series fit well in the 6U case? I'm thinking of building a rig for F@H and something like that would be perfect

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Should the 4xxx series fit well in the 6U case? I'm thinking of building a rig for F@H and something like that would be perfect
I think they probably would. There's two parallel bars to hold the GPUs in place and you can lower the bottom one for more clearance. There's screws on all four sides to keep the top cover on and then screws for the parallel bars to adjust/lock those in place and I usually have to keep the top cover screws off on the sides and alternate keeping the bar screws off (so ie. Front Left is on, Bottom Left is empty, Top Left is off, Bottom left is on from a top-down view) and wiggle the case into a rack to get it installed. Power supply clearance is also not great since they're short cases. So a couple normal sized ATX PSUs fit fine, but a 1600W EVGA PSU I'm pretty sure won't with a normal ATX motherboard installed (I only have a couple inches of remaining space between the PSU and motherboard in my cases)

I think they probably would. There's two parallel bars to hold the GPUs in place and you can lower the bottom one for more clearance. There's screws on all four sides to keep the top cover on and then screws for the parallel bars to adjust/lock those in place and I usually have to keep the top cover screws off on the sides and alternate keeping the bar screws off (so ie. Front Left is on, Bottom Left is empty, Top Left is off, Bottom left is on from a top-down view) and wiggle the case into a rack to get it installed. Power supply clearance is also not great since they're short cases. So a couple normal sized ATX PSUs fit fine, but a 1600W EVGA PSU I'm pretty sure won't with a normal ATX motherboard installed (I only have a couple inches of remaining space between the PSU and motherboard in my cases)
Thanks for the info!

No more cheap Chinese eBay mining cases for me. I spent $200 on one and it’s near worthless. Metal is super thin and weak.

I bought a rosewill server case off Newegg and it was like a luxury piece compared to that Chinese no name junker case I bought off ebay. To be fair it’s not the exact case you recommend here and I bought it like three years ago, but it’s of similar design and layout. So I issue a caution for someone who might think they are all the same. If Andrew found a particularly solid one… go with that to be safe.

Been out of the game for a long time, but what are you guys mining?
Dynex seems interesting, but won't** flip my Nvidia Amp card farm on for under 500 profit a month. Kaspa is another interesting one in terms of power consumption, but, the price is underwhelming.

https://www.hashrate.no/gpus be the current place to guage things.

Edit, necro bump for the lads

Last edited:
Back