What are the PCI-E x1 slots for?

PCIe 1x devices.

Eventually PCI (the bigger older usually white slots) will go the way of ISA. Just like PCI and ISA existed on MB's at the same time for a while, PCIe and PCI are both supported for now. But eventually no one will make PCI devices anymore and PCIe 1x is the replacement for lower bandwidth devices.

==>Lazn

^ yep. A good current example of devices "making the move" is network adapters. A gigabit network card can completely saturate the entire pci bus (which is also a gigabit bus) so a pci gigabit card is never going to actually get close to real gigabit speeds. So pci-e gigabit network chips now exist to get higher throughput.

There are also some pci-e raid controllers since, once again, 133 MB/s could easily be saturated by a high-end raid setup.

Also, the new PPU (Physics Processing Units) will have PCIe 1x compatibility as well.

DangerIsGo said:
Also, the new PPU (Physics Processing Units) will have PCIe 1x compatibility as well.

I actually heard that the fastest PhysX chips might take advantage of PCI-Ex4.

I tried finding a PCI-e faq.. but here's a question I have about PCI-E

Are "greater" slots backwards compatible to "lesser" cards?

I've got an EVGA SLI NF4 motherboard.

It has, physically, from top to bottom

1 PCI-E x1
1 PCI-E x8
1 PCI-E x16
1 PCI-E x8
and
PCI legacy
PCI legacy
PCI legacy

Slots in it.

Lets say I pop my single PEG-16 card into the PEG-16 slot

and I want to buy 3 PCI-E x1 raid controllers [just a hypothetical]

Can I put two of them in the x8 slots? i.e.

can I have

Pci-e x1 raid card [in pci-e x1 slot]
pci-e x1 raid card or hell, network card, sound card [in pci-e x8 slot]
pci-e x16 video [in pci-e x16 slot]

my pci video cap card in PCI slot
my old IDE raid card in pci slot
my old scsi card in PCI slot

Malogato said:
I tried finding a PCI-e faq.. but here's a question I have about PCI-E

Are "greater" slots backwards compatible to "lesser" cards?

I've got an EVGA SLI NF4 motherboard.

It has, physically, from top to bottom

1 PCI-E x1
1 PCI-E x8
1 PCI-E x16
1 PCI-E x8
and
PCI legacy
PCI legacy
PCI legacy

Slots in it.

Lets say I pop my single PEG-16 card into the PEG-16 slot

and I want to buy 3 PCI-E x1 raid controllers [just a hypothetical]

Can I put two of them in the x8 slots? i.e.

can I have

Pci-e x1 raid card [in pci-e x1 slot]
pci-e x16 video [in pci-e x16 slot]

my pci video cap card in PCI slot
my old IDE raid card in pci slot
my old scsi card in PCI slot

Yes, you can put a 1x card into a 16x slot. (or any other PCIe slot)

==>Lazn

Hey, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has stuffed a PCI-E x8 RAID card (areca 1220, 3ware 9550, etc..) into the x16 Pci-express "for Graphics" 16 lane slot?

Is there any real difference in these slots, or am I good to go?!

Binkt said:
Hey, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has stuffed a PCI-E x8 RAID card (areca 1220, 3ware 9550, etc..) into the x16 Pci-express "for Graphics" 16 lane slot?

Is there any real difference in these slots, or am I good to go?!

In this thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=913228&page=3

UICompE02 said:
"Actually, now that I think about it, I have tested with one of these guys: http://www.hp.com/workstations/pws/xw9300/

It's an nVidia/AMD thing with dual x16 SLI slots. I was able to use my PCI-E x8 cards in either or both slots without a problem. I don't know how this chipset is different from a standard nForce4, however. Though, they are based on the same design."

But keep in mind, it probably will not work in a normal SLI slot, as when it is in SLI mode and each slot is in 8x mode, it is not quite normal 8x PCI-E the two slots are "synched." So it should work in the new SLI-16 motherboards, and on nForce Pro boards that have two 16x slots like the K8WE.

==>Lazn

I find this amazing that people still ask this. The Obvious answer is they will be the replacement for Legacy PCI cards.

personally i want tv tuners to move to PCIe already. Same with sound cards.

but currently only network and raid cards are avail.

Lazn_Work said:
PCIe 1x devices.

Eventually PCI (the bigger older usually white slots) will go the way of ISA. Just like PCI and ISA existed on MB's at the same time for a while, PCIe and PCI are both supported for now. But eventually no one will make PCI devices anymore and PCIe 1x is the replacement for lower bandwidth devices.

==>Lazn
LOL! "Lower bandwidth" should be taken with humor since PCIe 1x is still faster than AGP 8x (I think 8x or if not it's 4x)

vmerc said:
LOL! "Lower bandwidth" should be taken with humor since PCIe 1x is still faster than AGP 8x (I think 8x or if not it's 4x)

PCI-E 1x = 250MB/sec

AGP 8x = 2.2GB/sec

AGP 4x = 1.1GB/sec

So nope.

==>Lazn

Lazn_Work said:
PCI-E 1x = 250MB/sec

AGP 8x = 2.2GB/sec

AGP 4x = 1.1GB/sec

So nope.

==>Lazn
WTH? I must have been smoking something then. Still 250MB/sec is not bad for "Low Bandwidth"

I'll have to go look at that Intel graph that was talking about PCIe again.

Back