What are the flag ship dual sim phones?

The Lurker

Fully [H]
I am wanting to get a dual sim phone to replace my personal LG G2 and work Lumia 950. Right now the One Plus 3 looks like its the best deal but I question the quality of their software since they had a falling out with CM.

Who else makes a dual sim phone of similar quality?

Edit:

The list so far:
Samsung Galaxy S7 Global
LG G5 International (H860N)
Sony Xperia X Performance
One Plus 3
One Plus X
Asus Zenfone 3
ZTE Axon 7
Huawei P9

Last edited:
None of the US/Snapdragon based S7s support dual-SIM and only some of the Exynos/international S7s support it, I think.

The Oneplus 2 from last year is the other other phone that I know of that support dual-SIMs.

Not a flagship per-se, but the ZenFone 3 deluxe has flagship specs and supports dual sim, same goes for the ZTE Axon 7.

The biggest problem with the international GS7 is no VoLTE or Wifi calling through T-Mo. But it performs way better than the GS7 Snapdragon 820 variants because Samsung handicapped them for some strange reasons. And rooting is also possible for the Exynos too. Another problem is no Samsung Pay.

As for the OnePlus 3, it doesn't look like we are getting timely updates.
The ZenFone 3 Deluxe is packed with crap. Until there's more development in the custom development community, I wouldn't get this phone.

So what I'm most looking towards is ZTE Axon 7. According to ZTE, in the US, they will release it with pure Google Android.

P.S. If the HTC 10 was a dual sim phone, my search would have been over.

The biggest problem with the international GS7 is no VoLTE or Wifi calling through T-Mo. But it performs way better than the GS7 Snapdragon 820 variants because Samsung handicapped them for some strange reasons. And rooting is also possible for the Exynos too. Another problem is no Samsung Pay.

The ZenFone 3 Deluxe is packed with crap. Until there's more development in the custom development community, I wouldn't get this phone.

So what I'm most looking towards is ZTE Axon 7. According to ZTE, in the US, they will release it with pure Google Android.

Tired of the iPhone already?

Makes sense that the international version wouldnt have Wifi calling, its implemented at the software level. No VOLTE, is a strange omission. It has Band 12, which is Tmo's volte band. Honestly, I could live without wifi calling. Are you sure about the volte?

I can live with slow updates from the manufacturer I just dont like some of the reviews saying OxygenOS is half baked. Despite the phone having a good developer community I would prefer to get away from custom roms. I have been tolerant of bugs and shit when I was younger, today, I need my phone to work all the time.

I forgot about the Axon 7, thanks for the reminder.

I agree, if the HTC 10 was Dual sim I would be done looking too.

Last edited:
How about the Sony Experia X Performance?

Xperia X Performance

Sony Xperia X Performance - Full phone specifications

http://dl-developer.sonymobile.com/documentation/whitepapers/Xperia X Performance Dual_WP_2.pdf

Sony Xperia X Performance vs. ZTE Axon 7 vs. Samsung Galaxy S7 - GSMArena.com

Its small, but not Z5C small. Its got the 820. Its got a 23mp camera. IP68 rated. Finger print sensor. Android that should be close to stock with Sony's tweaks. Dual Sim. Supports more bands than the Axon 7, Battery is small, but Sony's seems to get away with small batteries and great battery life.

its a toss up, this or a S7. I just dont like Samsungs bloatware. But the hardware is undeniable.

Last edited:
Interesting. But if it's $699, I dunno about that. And how does Sony do updates?

There's a rumor (yes, a rumor) that suggests the iPhone 7 will be dual sim capable. If this is true, I'm sticking with iOS. (Mostly cause apps just run smoother.)

iPhone 7 May Keep Headphone Jack And Support Dual Sims

I can't. My wife has one and I hate everything about it. But thats another topic.

Im going to wait for pricing on the Xperia x, then decide. I like that its small, like the s7. Axon 7 is to big for me.

Maybe the next nexus will support dual Sim, seems to be a trend.

If both the iPhone and Nexus go dual sim, it's going to make deciding on this very hard. But I like having to make that choice.

Pro of iOS is that apps just run smoother; games especially lag and choke on Android due to Androids battery-wasting multitasking.

Pro of Nexus/pure Android is that goddamn iOS is annoying on so many levels... (But apps run smoother on iOS)

I dont play games on my phone so I dont have that problem. However, all the annoyances of iOS is enough to keep me away. I just hate the way it works.

I'm not touching EMUI ever again. (My old dual sim phone is a Huawei).

You guys act like it's horrible, which it is not... I am hoping someone over at XDA ports a straight up 6.0 ROM with some of the P9 Plus apps though. The notification menu, dialer & the camera app would be nice.

I'm not acting like it's horrible. It IS horrible. In its defense though, still better than TouchWiz... Referring to EMUI

Last edited:
CHANG3D

Apparently ZTE are real dicks when it comes to giving the community access to the bootloader and no one has managed to crack the previous gen phone.

Thoughts?

Apparently ZTE are real dicks when it comes to giving the community access to the bootloader and no one has managed to crack the previous gen phone.

Thoughts?
I was checking out XDA and the chinese forums. It's definitely rootable and could get custom ROM & recovery. But bootloader unlock is one thing. Not getting the code to the kernel is another.

ZTE did say they will go full pure Android in the US. They might be doing that for some "security" concerns by certain US politicians (whether real concern, asking for bribes from ZTE, or receiving bribes from others, I have no idea). So I do hope, due to this "security" reason, ZTE will go full open-source for the US version.

The Official Response to Unlocked Bootloaders:
"We're listening."

Official US announcement:
"#IndependenceDay"

Last edited:
I was checking out XDA and the chinese forums. It's definitely rootable and could get custom ROM & recovery. But bootloader unlock is one thing. Not getting the code to the kernel is another.

ZTE did say they will go full pure Android in the US. They might be doing that for some "security" concerns by certain US politicians (whether real concern, asking for bribes from ZTE, or receiving bribes from others, I have no idea). So I do hope, due to this "security" reason, ZTE will go full open-source for the US version.

The Official Response to Unlocked Bootloaders:
"We're listening."

Official US announcement:
"#IndependenceDay"

I dont know where you read that its rootable. The Axon Pro wasnt and without a bootloader that can be modified there is no way to get root permissions to the system partition. The progression is: Bootloader -> Recovery -> SuperSu.

As far as them saying they are "listening", IMHO thats just lip service. Its better than saying "no" before the phone is out and creating an uprising.

I hope i'm wrong though. I like to be pessimistic and then pleasantly surprised.

You're missing half of the story with the Axon Pro. The Axon Elite, essentially the same phone as the Axon Pro but with less impressive hardware, is what sold well in China, The Elite is the one with the development community. (Nobody bought Axon Pro.) With the Axon 7 getting this much interest, I'm pretty sure that hackers and tinkers will not let us down. Whether ZTE will imitate HTC more by offering official unlocking is another thing.

I hear (almost typed that wrong, you ass.. ha ha) that the government is blocking lots of ZTE imports due to spying concerns, and this is the reason why there is a delay. ZTE posted on FB in a message to a question that it's coming to the US in mid-July. But they also at a twitter message that said #IndependenceDay but removed it later. So I don't know if we could trust that answer.

I hear (almost typed that wrong, you ass.. ha ha) that the government is blocking lots of ZTE imports due to spying concerns, and this is the reason why there is a delay. ZTE posted on FB in a message to a question that it's coming to the US in mid-July. But they also at a twitter message that said #IndependenceDay but removed it later. So I don't know if we could trust that answer.

Axon 7 Landing Page

Available for Pre-Order today for $400 with free folio case.

Back