what are the disadvantage of Enable Fast Boot on Gigabyte Motherboard?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I have done it once. And the DEL key during boot up does NOT get me to the BIOS screen. Gigabyte said I have to eject the battery in order to go back to the BIOS screen.

But if there is a way to work around it, I would like to enable fast boot.

Meanwhile, in this CNET article, this guy said he can get his PC to boot up in 75 ms. If I enable fast boot, I think the best I can do is 7 sec.

Getting a Windows PC to boot in under 10 seconds

My MSI board boots up stupid quick with fast boot enabled... but it's prone to MCE BSODs so I leave it off and it still boots up more than fast enough for me.

However, with fast boot on, the only way I get into the UEFI settings is to tell Windows to boot the system to it. You'll have to have Windows 8 or higher for that though.

what's MCE again?

and why would you get BSOD? Ultra Fast Boot, Fast Boot is at the machine level, we haven't get to the windows software part yet.

On the BIOS, even at Legacy, it gives me the option of Ultra fast, and Fast, and I wasn't using UFEI

You're using UEFI regardless of whether you booting Legacy or not. Legacy is just a compatibility module that emulates a more traditional BIOS so non-UEFI aware OS's can still function.

MCE = machine check exception. I get the BSOD while Windows is loading. Fast boot skips a lot of hardware initialization and testing steps, opting instead to use previously saved settings and assuming the hardware will still be set up as expected, to make booting faster. Apparently, something in my set up is not quite right without proper initialization, so I get an MCE when Windows tries to interact with that hardware during boot.

I forgot how to do it exactly as I'm not in front of a Win 10 computer but it does have an option to 'boot into BIOS' in one of the recovery/restart menus.

Holding shift when you click restart is what you're looking for. This is applicable to Windows 8 and Windows 10.

On my MSI board, the Fast Boot utility has an option to reboot into BIOS.

You're using UEFI regardless of whether you booting Legacy or not. Legacy is just a compatibility module that emulates a more traditional BIOS so non-UEFI aware OS's can still function.

MCE = machine check exception. I get the BSOD while Windows is loading. Fast boot skips a lot of hardware initialization and testing steps, opting instead to use previously saved settings and assuming the hardware will still be set up as expected, to make booting faster. Apparently, something in my set up is not quite right without proper initialization, so I get an MCE when Windows tries to interact with that hardware during boot.

In the days when UFEI wasn't invented, then Legacy is just Legacy. Regardless, to be fair, most PC doesn't change hardware much. So if it uses the saved setting of the prev. boot up, it should be fine.

Anyhoo, my boot up time is about 8 sec. How many sec. do you shave off w/ ultra fast boot?

In the days when UFEI wasn't invented, then Legacy is just Legacy. Regardless, to be fair, most PC doesn't change hardware much. So if it uses the saved setting of the prev. boot up, it should be fine.

Anyhoo, my boot up time is about 8 sec. How many sec. do you shave off w/ ultra fast boot?

So are you talking about a board that is pre-UEFI then?

With MSI Fast-boot enabled, and as long as I didn't get a BSOD, I was booting to the log on screen in less than 5 seconds. That's with a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, though.

I don''t use MSI. And I would never use Samsung. There are other members here who lost their Samung SSD and Magician can't even find it. It's like the Intel 8 MB bug. A 1 TB SSD becomes 100 MB

I don''t use MSI. And I would never use Samsung. There are other members here who lost their Samung SSD and Magician can't even find it. It's like the Intel 8 MB bug. A 1 TB SSD becomes 100 MB

They only person I keep seeing say anything about this bug is you. Can you provide any links, because a search is showing nothing. (BTW, there is no 950 Pro 1TB drive yet)

So one person who was running a 3 year old device with a very old firmware version had a failure and got it RMA'd is proof enough for you that Samsung makes junk despite selling millions of SSDs with few people having any issues? Come on now.

You said 1TB SSDs are becoming 100MB bricks, that's what I wanted to see proof of, not one-off cases of defects that have been long since fixed by the manufacturer.

There is far more than 1 members. I randomly pick that one because the hardforum search engine shows that one at the top of the search

Back