What are the differences between Asus and MSI BIOS? (Z790)

TV2

n00b
Both use AMI BIOS. Is anyone here familiar with both?

I'm planning a Z790 build currently. Pro rig.
I've narrowed it down to the Asus Prime Z790-A Wifi and the MSI Pro Z790-A Wifi.
Both boards are essentially the same. The MSI board has a couple of extra ports and better audio codec. Leaning in that direction.
The last few builds are all Asus and I am very familiar with an Asus BIOS.

IMO, the MSI bios is cleaner, easier to use for most users.
The ASUS bios has a tons of settings that for most users don't matter. However my main gripe with the Asus bios is that i find myself backtracking a lot to find specific settings after a few months of not using it. Where as when i was using my previous MSI board i didn't do it as much.

Another thing that you can think about is how much time are you spending in your bios. I'd be more interested in features an reviews from owners about the boards. Maybe look at Z690 boards as they tend to be a bit cheaper and maybe you can get a higher tier board or save some cash.

Thanks for that. That is basically what I had heard: that the Asus BIOS was better for overclocking because of all the extra settings.
But since this is a pro rig for my office (with the capability to do some gaming when I need to "work late") I'm not going to be doing much overclocking, so a cleaner, simpler BIOS would be fine in this case.

It's strange that MSI does not have the BIOS settings in the manual for download on their website. Are they in the paper manual in the box?

I upgrade my main rig on a schedule - every 4 years or so. I jump on whatever platform is current at the time.
Old main PC become Office PC #2, old #2 becomes the server, the old server gets sold off for parts.

Think on my x299 it had a max of 3-5 pages of bios settings, so if it's still the same you're better of looking at some online OC tutorials on Youtube.
But considering that most hardware is maxed out and at most you have to change 3,4 settings for 24/7 OC. Not tacking into consideration LN2 and such.

Also, if i remember correctly, the manuals can be downloaded and you can check there.

That's the thing with MSI. The manual for the motherboard available for download does not contain the usual BIOS setting pages.
And I saw somewhere that they don't ship a paper manual with their boards anymore. I don't know if that is true - I will find out on Friday. (I've seen a lot of things posted about MSI that turned out not to be true - and that's on vs sites too.

I found this video of a Z690 BIOS that satisfies me as far as having all the usual settings needed:
_

I haven't gotten a board with bios settings in the manual in several years, I think the last one was the X299 Dark and after that EVGA stopped putting manuals in the box. Asrock still puts some in theirs I think but is probably the only one.

I haven't gotten a board with bios settings in the manual in several years, I think the last one was the X299 Dark and after that EVGA stopped putting manuals in the box. Asrock still puts some in theirs I think but is probably the only one.
And you can't rely on it, because the BIOS options can change with updates. Maybe not so much for the Z790, as 13th gen the end of the line for that chipset. I have an Asrock X470 and the current BIOS settings and layout are very different from what's in the 4 year old manual.

Back