What are the chances Asus makes a Threadripper 3 workstation board?

HiGhGuY

n00b
Looking to do a new high end build primarily as workstation around 1st of the year. For CPU, it will either be an Intel i9 10980XE or Threadripper 3. Will decide after the production parts are in reviewers hands and benchmarked/compared.

If I end up going with the i9 I'd for sure get the Asus WS x299 Sage board (assuming it's compatible). Ideally I'd like to see a board just like that with the appropriate socket/chipset for Threadripper 3.

However, I'm not so sure such a board will be available. Looking at Asus's current/previous gen AMD boards, its curious that they offer a workstation board for AM4 Socket which is more suited to gaming, and they don't offer a single workstation board for TR4 socket which is more suited to workstations.

I'd think pretty good. They make a WS board for X570 which they didn't offer before in X470/X370, so they seem to be taking new generation AMD CPU's serious as workstation CPU's.

TR boards are workstation class in general. They will most definitely have the new TR40 boards at release too.

TR boards are workstation class in general. They will most definitely have the new TR40 boards at release too.
I don't know if I'd agree with that. Asus Pro and Prime series are more budget tiers, TUF series is like mid to high end as far as components without all of ROG's "bells and whistles", and ROG is obviously their flagship tier. All those boards are geared toward gaming, then there is the WS (workstation) series which is like a second flagship tier but geared towards workstations as opposed to gaming. Asus's WS series tends to have the most features and the most I/O and are just as good if not better for overclocking than ROG boards. They also skip the gamer aesthetic, which is why IMO, they are much better looking. The 2 leaked Asus Threadripper 3 boards are Prime and ROG series. I am specifically interested in Asus WS series.

wow op was really saving that first post.
Haha. This message board like many others you have to be a registered member to view attachments, including pictures, unless the poster puts them inline. I've experienced this very frequently. You do a google search, which leads you to a message board, and what you're looking for you expect to see a picture, and the poster has attached pictures, but not put them inline so the only way you can see them is create an account. I am surprised that I've never actually posted here, but I guess between here, toms hardware, overclockers, etc. I've just tended to post elsewhere out of familiarity.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. Asus Pro and Prime series are more budget tiers, TUF series is like mid to high end as far as components without all of ROG's "bells and whistles", and ROG is obviously their flagship tier. All those boards are geared toward gaming, then there is the WS (workstation) series which is like a second flagship tier but geared towards workstations as opposed to gaming. Asus's WS series tends to have the most features and the most I/O and are just as good if not better for overclocking than ROG boards. They also skip the gamer aesthetic, which is why IMO, they are much better looking. The 2 leaked Asus Threadripper 3 boards are Prime and ROG series. I am specifically interested in Asus WS series.

What makes it wkkstn class are power delivery and validation requirements. That they marketed some of the boards to enthusiasts doesn't change the requirements that all the boards had to meet. That said, it was never a great gaming platform even though some were marketed that way.

If these are the prices nobody will buy them. X299 are at much better price and X399 are deprecated. The TRX 40 are leaked at Intel server class motherboards when they are low X399 kind. And mind that AMD will also release much much more expensive TRX 80 series.
If AMD wants to kill his TR series, he needs to put that kind of price on their motherboards. AMD needs to obtain and average 300$ on a TRX 40 motherboard and put the 3960X @ no more than $1000. If they fail to do that people will drop TR to Ryzen ou Intel HEDT class workstation.

What makes it wkkstn class are power delivery and validation requirements. That they marketed some of the boards to enthusiasts doesn't change the requirements that all the boards had to meet. That said, it was never a great gaming platform even though some were marketed that way.
Workstation class means good ECC RAM and powerfull CPU and GPU. Highend Ryzen 3000 are already workstation class, when even X299 lacks ECC. You need C422 chipset and Xeon on LGA2066 to have ECC. This is about 30% more expensive without any other gain.

Mind that the leaked prices are in AUS $. Not quite the same as US $ (70%) and they are used to higher prices than in the US and also resellers propose prohibitive prices for first owners.
So the TRX40 motherboards will be at standard X399 price about one month after they are on sale. This for sure. Just like the X570 are dropping close to X470 prices now even if the thing is a little bigger.
There is no difference in TRX40 and X399 as far as I can tell except probably PCIe 4.0 support. Maybe registered ECC RAM support but I won't bet on it.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Also be aware that TR 3 on TRX40 will max at 32 cores and probably quite good frequency close to AM4 family but huge TDP for the 32 cores. TRX80 and 64 cores will be something else.

Mind that the leaked prices are in AUS $. Not quite the same as US $ (70%) and they are used to higher prices than in the US and also resellers propose prohibitive prices for first owners.
So the TRX40 motherboards will be at standard X399 price about one month after they are on sale. This for sure. Just like the X570 are dropping close to X470 prices now even if the thing is a little bigger.
There is no difference in TRX40 and X399 as far as I can tell except probably PCIe 4.0 support. Maybe registered ECC RAM support but I won't bet on it.
Good catch.
The roo-fuckers get slaughtered on hardware pricing for a western country, so I'd definitely expect much lower prices in USA.

I've been disappointed by the TR40x boards which have been announced to date.

All those delicious PCIe lanes, and all of them seem to just have four 16x slots. Some fo the Gigabyte boards also have a 1x slot in addition to these, but still, What a waste.

I'd like to see a board with the following configuration:

1.) 16x (for GPU)
2.) Blank (will be covered by GPU anyway)
3.) 8x
4.) 8x
5.) 8x
6.) 8x

+ Two 4x M.2 slots

That's 56 lanes.

I'm not sure how many lanes the Threadripper chipset uses If it's 8, then that's 64 lanes right there. If it is 4 lanes like x570, then throw in another m.2 slot, maybe the last one can be switchable with two slots. 4x mode if only one m/2 drive is populated. 2x mode if both are populated.

I've been disappointed by the TR40x boards which have been announced to date.

All those delicious PCIe lanes, and all of them seem to just have four 16x slots. Some fo the Gigabyte boards also have a 1x slot in addition to these, but still, What a waste.

I'd like to see a board with the following configuration:

1.) 16x (for GPU)
2.) Blank (will be covered by GPU anyway)
3.) 8x
4.) 8x
5.) 8x
6.) 8x

+ Two 4x M.2 slots

That's 56 lanes.

I'm not sure how many lanes the Threadripper chipset uses If it's 8, then that's 64 lanes right there. If it is 4 lanes like x570, then throw in another m.2 slot, maybe the last one can be switchable with two slots. 4x mode if only one m/2 drive is populated. 2x mode if both are populated.

Exactly. I'm not sure about other manufactures, but for Asus, What your describing is basically what you'd be getting with one of their "WS" series boards.

Back