what are the actually capabilities of a HTPC?

ignitionxvi

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,

I've seen and heard a lot about HTPC's, but i'm not totally sure what you can do with them. Can you record TV shows? Play DVD's/CD's? Anything basically "introducing" HTPC's would help.

this list of uses will depend on the hardware and software you use, but for the most part you can do all of the following without a big hassle.
watch tv
record tv
play DVDs
play VCDs
play divX movies
play games
surf the web
read email
play MP3s or any other music
play CDs
view pics
etc

HTPC's main functions are to replace things like recievers, DVD players, TiVo's and the like. Basic things like recording TV shows, playing DVD's and MP3's are what most people want out of their HTPC's. It also helps matters if your HTPC is low profile or fits aesthetically in with the rest of your home theater setup.

So, what OS would you run on it (media Center edition?) and how do you make it run as keyboardless as possible? Or is Linux also a popular system for HTPCs?

I use my HTPC for playing DVD's and Divx movies and that's it.
I haven't sat down and watched regular TV in a long time, too many stupid shows, no real substance.

WS6 said:
I use my HTPC for playing DVD's and Divx movies and that's it.
I haven't sat down and watched regular TV in a long time, too many stupid shows, no real substance.
I used to watch TechTV.... not any more :( :mad:

pbXassassinX1524 said:
I used to watch TechTV.... not any more :( :mad:

I used to watch that channel as well. When I do watch TV, it's usually the History Channel, Discovery Channel, and TLC but TLC has too many of those stupid shows on it now.

pbXassassinX1524 said:
So, what OS would you run on it (media Center edition?) and how do you make it run as keyboardless as possible? Or is Linux also a popular system for HTPCs?
Media Center Edition is only available if you buy a system with it preinstalled (or illegaly download it). You can use windows xp with various software like girder for using a remote control and myhtpc or xlobby as an interface. Some people use MythTV on a linux platform.

If you have legitimate access to the MSDN downloads it is legal to download Media Center. Otherwise as stated you have to buy it with a system.

Back