What are some old games to play on my outdated PC?

Signal

Limp Gawd
I've never been much for playing games on PC because I've always bought all the consoles and handhelds each generation so that has kept me more than busy enough. Well, long story short, I moved into a new apartment, my computer is now in the living room, and instead of playing PSP/DS when my girlfriend is watching something boring (real wives of wherever, entertainment news, etc.), I'd like some games to play on my PC.

My computer is ancient because I just use it for surfing the internet and preparing documents/presentations and it was never too slow for those tasks. Specs (don't laugh :)): P4 3.0GHz, 4GB ram, ATI HD2600XT, wired Xbox 360 controller that I can use, and I have a 1080p 24" monitor.

These are the PC games I have played:
Starcraft & Brood War
All the Warcraft games/expansions prior to 3
Fallout 1 & 2
Half-Life

I'm looking for good single-player games and, while I will play some of the better ones, FPS games are probably my least favorite. I was thinking about getting the GTA Trilogy because I wanted to replay them and some of the mods look like they would make going back to them more fun than on PS2. Warcraft 3 also looked like something I'd like since I enjoyed the previous games. Other than that, I was hoping to find some better ideas on here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :).

Thief: The Dark Project
Thief: The Metal Age

Total Annihilation

Go here:

http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10171/

and click on the green label "Click Here to see your system's performance"

Then once it has run, from the dropdown menu below your results select "Can I run these games? Click to find out," and try out various older games. It'll tell you if you can run 'em.

I think you might have enough to play Left4Dead, which would be a fantastic choice (especially since you can get it for like $10 on steam).

Battlefield 1942 w/ Desert Combat mod.
Maayybe BF2, but don't expect a smooth framerate if everything's set to 'High'.

Simcity 4 and Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 will run well, too.

Deus Ex,
The first few total war games (Rome and the first Medieval for sure)
Sim City 4 & Rush Hour are fantastic
Evil Genius (just picked it up on a Steam sale...) RTS in the same vein as Dungeon Master - you build the evil layer all the good guys are trying to break into.
X-com (the whole series is available through Steam and or Good old games) depending on just how far back you want to go.
Anything from Introversion games (Defcon, Darwinina, Uplink)
Anything from Popcap games (Peggle, Plants vs Zombies)
Civilization IV might run OK, but you may have troubles with the larger maps.

If you're a Diablo hack and slash guy, Torchligh and or Titan Quest (Get Frozen Throne expansion pack)

Or there's probably about 100 neat little indie games out there on Steam and others that would run fine and cost $5 or $10 a shot. (Defense Grid, Flotilla and Gratuitous Space Battles top my steam indie list right now).

Your computer isn't ancient. You can play all games on low settings.

Funny how everyone lists FPSs.

Morrowind
Oblivion
Fallout Tactics/3
Starcraft 2
Warcraft 3
Diablo 1/2
Heroes of Might and Magic
Knights of the Old Republic

If you want OLD games
X-Com
Betrayal at Krondor
Myst

If you want to lose your girlfriend
World of Warcraft

With the way EQ2 is (not) optimized, you could probably run it pretty well!

But aside from that, someone suggested Thief 1 and 2 and I agree ENTIRELY with that recommendation. Thief 2 was just outstanding.

Also, Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed would be a nice addition. I remember buying a Voodoo 3 GPU because I wasn't able to run it!

Superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Meat Boyyyyyyyyyyy (I love hearing the introduction to that game)

this is assuming that by old you meant not graphically demanding which I believe is a safe assumption considering the other suggestions.

"Total Annihilation"

based on what you have played before, this game is great fun. Just about any computer will be able to run it.

Some people even play it online still on War-Zone. (game was released back in 1996)

Think of it as starcraft but with tanks and planes.

Warcraft 3 expansion - The Frozen Throne.

It still has a huge and very active online community. Get into some of the custom maps. The WC3 custom map editor is miles beyond SC or WC2's custom maps. There's a ton of variety, and many of them are so well-made that you wouldn't know that it was some random guy making it and not Blizzard. Most of the good custom maps are for the Frozen Throne expansion pack, but you can pick up the pair for cheap.

If you like RPGs definitely check out the Baldur's Gate series and Torment, especially Torment. I would recommend checking out GOG.com if you haven't yet.

Original Call of Duty and the expansions. I know FPS ain't your favorite but this stuff is good.
(Before they borked it)

Freelancer

I bet Portal would do OK in fact Source, the HL2 engine, actually plays and scales pretty well and I think it was released with the x800 series in mind so your 2600 should do fine which is why some have mentioned HL2 and L4D and so on. But L4D is multiplayer-centric game.

Defense Grid: The Awakening

If I think of more I'll come back.

If you like RPGs definitely check out the Baldur's Gate series and Torment, especially Torment. I would recommend checking out GOG.com if you haven't yet.

Especially since there's a huge 30% to 50% sale going on there. I'm picking up Divine Divinity for $2.99.

if you've got a fast internet connection then i suggest you try OnLive

alot of people don't think its a good idea, but i think its pretty cool. It works great and ive used it to play a few different games while trying to decide if i want to buy them from steam. it also works really good with a 360 controller and you can make an account for free and then play 30 min of each game (as many times as you want)

if you've got a fast internet connection then i suggest you try OnLive

alot of people don't think its a good idea, but i think its pretty cool. It works great and ive used it to play a few different games while trying to decide if i want to buy them from steam. it also works really good with a 360 controller and you can make an account for free and then play 30 min of each game (as many times as you want)

+1 this works on my netbook.

if you try and like WC3 single player, try spell force platinum. i picked it up for like $1.25 last christmas on steam. i have about 80hr in to it and only 2/3 done with the game. it is a mix of single player RPG and RTS. it is just a little more in depth then WC3. zones are more like D2, not WC3 style. one huge world not just 12 missions in a row you can go back and revisit the previous areas. main story and side quests.

watch out for the steam christmas sale this year lots of older games for cheap.

I think your system could run pretty much anything up to 2005 @ max settings.

Start googlin'

+2 Onlive.

Get the Myth: Total Codex cds if you can find them (Amazon, Ebay). Seriously good story and production. Not available on GoG :(

You'll need to update Myth II after installation and before running the game. Info here:

http://projectmagma.net/

Temple of Elemental Evil

++ and on sale at GoG for $6.99 - maybe a bit high for this title but it's a great game if you like D&D RPGs.

[edit] Check that, $4.19 for ToEE, nice at the price. This is one of the few older games I'll go back and play from time to time.

Max Payne 1 & 2

Unless you hate 3rd person view...

Definite +1 for this.

The original Max Payne is a brilliant game with a highly compelling narrative. Way better than its sequel imho. I played it through again about a year ago and it's aged extremely well. The gameplay is timeless and the graphics work well for it.

Seriously, if you're in any way into PC gaming you have to go play Max Payne. Dirt cheap off steam and will run very well on your system with max settings.

RPGs:
Fallout
Fallout 2
Morrowind
Arcanum
Temple of Elemental evil
Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the old republic 2
Planescape Torment
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Diablo 2 (more action RPG)
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Oblivion

Puzzle:
Myst
Riven

RTS:
Warcraft 3
Dawn of War
Rise of Nations
Age of Kings
Starcraft
Homeworld 2

Other:
Batman Arkham Asylum
Mechwarrior 3
Xwing Vs Tiefighter
Freespace 2

FPS:
Farcry
Half life 2
Half life
Half life Opposing Force
Doom 3
Prey
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Max Payne (3rd person shooter)
Max Payne 2 (3rd person shooter)
Battlefield 2
Crysis
Borderlands

Newer games you should be able to play on lower settings. I played Crysis with a 7800gtx which was a generation earlier then your card.

edit: sorted by genre for ease of viewing.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Star Trek: Starfleet Command gave me hours of enjoyment! The sequel is good too but almost impossible to find, I bought a copy off Ebay years ago but the serial number didn't work. But definitely try the first one.

Back