What are some good value x670e motherboards, or boards with good features in general?

$5 cheaper at Amazon and B&H
Best Buy, too. Just was pointing out that MSRP isn't that much higher.

Better off buying a "cheaper" board. I'm using the ASUS B650-F STRIX and it's awesome for the bucks. I worried about the audio on that TUF board. Thanks to the Micro Center combo my decision was made for me before I went and spent like $700 on a board, lol.

Best Buy, too. Just was pointing out that MSRP isn't that much higher.

Better off buying a "cheaper" board. I'm using the ASUS B650-F STRIX and it's awesome for the bucks. I worried about the audio on that TUF board. Thanks to the Micro Center combo my decision was made for me before I went and spent like $700 on a board, lol.
The F Strix does have the Savitech AMP for the front panel audio. But otherwise, the difference between the S1220A and the ALC4080 is mostly their interface. The ALC4080 is a USB interface. The capabilities and sound quality of the two chips, is otherwise very similar. and you would probably be hard pressed to notice a difference if you used the back panel ports on those two boards.

The F Strix does have the Savitech AMP for the front panel audio. But otherwise, the difference between the S1220A and the ALC4080 is mostly their interface. The ALC4080 is a USB interface. The capabilities and sound quality of the two chips, is otherwise very similar. and you would probably be hard pressed to notice a difference if you used the back panel ports on those two boards.
Good to know. I just knew that audio was on my X670E Gene and I like it. I read reviews complaining about lower end boards and their audio so I sought out a similar (or better) sound setup as my Gene.

EDIT: dude...thanks to you I realized my HD Audio header on the mobo wasn't connected. It was half on. LOL. Man, oh man.

Last edited:
If people need a roundup of several x670e boards, TechSpot did a great review of them. Especially money is the features table at the end.

https://www.techspot.com/bestof/amd-x670-motherboards/

VRM Temps:
2023-02-07-image-p.webp

"A few things to note. Any temperature below 80c is to be considered very cool, VRM temps only start to become a concern when they exceed 90c, and even then there's still 10-20c worth of headroom before most boards will thermal throttle. Below 80c is very safe and will never present an issue, so all X670 boards are well within safe limits.

We should also stress that there's no difference between a board running at 56c and one at 67 or even 76c, performance will be identical assuming the same operating parameters -- frequency and timings. Therefore, you wouldn't say purchase the Aorus Master over the Taichi because the Gigabyte board's VRM ran 4c cooler."

Features List:
TechSpot-mobos.png

If people need a roundup of several x670e boards, TechSpot did a great review of them. Especially money is the features table at the end.

https://www.techspot.com/bestof/amd-x670-motherboards/

VRM Temps:
2023-02-07-image-p.webp

"A few things to note. Any temperature below 80c is to be considered very cool, VRM temps only start to become a concern when they exceed 90c, and even then there's still 10-20c worth of headroom before most boards will thermal throttle. Below 80c is very safe and will never present an issue, so all X670 boards are well within safe limits.

We should also stress that there's no difference between a board running at 56c and one at 67 or even 76c, performance will be identical assuming the same operating parameters -- frequency and timings. Therefore, you wouldn't say purchase the Aorus Master over the Taichi because the Gigabyte board's VRM ran 4c cooler."

Features List:
View attachment 547709
Ok, so using this list; I'd you had $400-500 to spend on a board, which one would you pick?

I purchased one that fit my needs, which is the Asus TUF Gaming Wifi for $330. My needs are:

1. Gaming/office PC
2. Support further drop-in upgrades in the future (thus AMD instead of Intel)
3. PCI5 for GPU and Storage
4. At least two m2 slots, but only one needs to be PCIE5
5. Heatsinks on VRM
6. Dependable brand (lower end Asrock I'm looking at you)
7. Wifi
8. Audio Line In, Center, Rear for my Z-5600 speakers

That last one is critical, and not on the features list. I am not paying $300+ for a board and still needing to go buy a pci bracket or some bs for the audio. Some boards only have optical out, and those add compression. The huge number of sata drives/usb ports isn't important for me, nor is having anything other than a single PCIe x16 slot.

Your needs/wants may vary

$200 off for open box? shit thats great. I would contact Asus and get it in writing that their warraunty would still apply

I am really waiting for benchmarks on the new 3D chips to make my decision. Depending on what they look like, I may go 13900k.

$200 off for open box? shit thats great. I would contact Asus and get it in writing that their warraunty would still apply
I don't worry about Micro Center. They back their stuff. It says manufacturer warranty applies. I reserved it. My final AM4 build will get it!

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 10.06.24 AM.png

EDIT: just picked it up - what a score. Brand new and sealed, still! Guy said the warehouse dudes sometimes do that when they can’t find it in inventory.

F5B3BD53-E783-4179-9422-DEA5696B8878.jpeg

66EE6A03-4F6E-43B7-9A51-FEF3FCB262BB.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't worry about Micro Center. They back their stuff. It says manufacturer warranty applies. I reserved it. My final AM4 build will get it!

View attachment 549641

EDIT: just picked it up - what a score. Brand new and sealed, still! Guy said the warehouse dudes sometimes do that when they can’t find it in inventory.

View attachment 549666

View attachment 549667

Listed as incomplete yet it's sealed, that's great. I tried to get one at Microcenter back in January and they told me they only got a few in the initial shipment, looks like my local store has 2 on hand now and another open box. They were probably all in the same shipment that Amazon used to fulfill my order.

Speaking of sexy ass boards, im really happy with how this Asus TUF 670x wifi turned out. The thermaltek (sp?) secure frame turned out well too. This is only for ease of paste cleanup, has nothing to do with bent cpus etc...Already have the cpu, secure frame, ram, nvme installed and its not even in the case

PXL_20230220_030326474.jpg

Speaking of sexy ass boards, im really happy with how this Asus TUF 670x wifi turned out. The thermaltek (sp?) secure frame turned out well too. This is only for ease of paste cleanup, has nothing to do with bent cpus etc...Already have the cpu, secure frame, ram, nvme installed and its not even in the case

View attachment 550413
Which frame is that? Looks great! I have one more AM5 build to do (X670E ProArt with 7900X) so maybe I’ll pick that up.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Frame:
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...BKZM72Z8&psc=1&ref_=pd_basp_bia_rpt_ba_s_1_sc

It's a product in search for a solution. For Intel, it's great for 12/13th cpus that warp or bend. AMD has no such problem, but it is great since the 7000s cpus IHS have wired ass designs and aren't square. This means paste gets everywhere and is a bitch to clean up
Cheaper. And includes good thermal paste.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BML41P4D?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From my experience with open box at MC they didn't note it was open box or anything on receipt.

Back