what are some good os/ network monitoring tools?

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
that monitor if the servers are up or down and network connections are up and running

I hope cross platforms - windows, linux
just wondering
and even better if it is cheap or free :eek:
thanks in advance

spiceworks seems to be good, getting ready to deploy that in one of my test environments. I have also used Zenoss. We use solar winds but that is purchased.

We use AlienVault with a customized kernel. It's Open Source Linux and when properly configured, works wonders. We found so many security holes in our network with AlienVault. Spiceworks is garbage in comparison.

We use AlienVault with a customized kernel. It's Open Source Linux and when properly configured, works wonders. We found so many security holes in our network with AlienVault. Spiceworks is garbage in comparison.

thanks btw should I be putting this in the network sections or will os section do?

Networking & Security would be better. PM a mod - they'll move the thread.

Spiceworks is alright if you have no money, but if you have money you should go with LANsweeper. It's like Google for the network & AD.

I am about to try some of these solutions myself. I was about to deply Nagios but I am only a beginner in Linux and I fear that it's going to be a pain to properly configure.

I was about to download Spiceworks, any people with experience with it? Is it a long bumpy road to implement?

Sitescope is the product I'm familar with - it isn't free, but works well and is very powerful. I actually was thinking you meant local system tools when I clicked on the title rather than system monitoring tools.

I am about to try some of these solutions myself. I was about to deply Nagios but I am only a beginner in Linux and I fear that it's going to be a pain to properly configure.

I was about to download Spiceworks, any people with experience with it? Is it a long bumpy road to implement?

It's not difficult to implement, but it's filled with unnecessary fluff. The fact that it's Free.99 makes it appealing though.

PRTG has a free version, though you only get up to 20 sensors. However a commercial license is worth it IMO.

Back