What are some cheap SFF ddr3 systems that support ecc buffered registered ram?

chris89

Weaksauce
I have an HP Pro 6305 SFF system which I'm wondering if it supports ecc if not others?

AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3, FM1) Buffered Registered ECC support?

maybe a used dell sff work station but for normal custom built there are none that i can think off. why are you trying to put together something so old?

Need something that's under $100 preferably $75 or less shipped but that supports ecc registered buffered ram.

All i could find was a z230-z240 with xeon quad cores with ecc support for a good low price on ebay. I do all my shopping on ebay mainly.

I prefer AMD though so idk...

The reason is we are trying to build an ultra cheap gaming rig and ecc reg buffered ram is way cheaper than unbuffered non ecc ram.

thanks

let me know what low profile gaming card you find, that doesnt need power and is only $15

$20.99 shipped for 2x AMD Radeon HD 7570s which are just 1gb sure but its 128 bit GDDR5 and they can use CrossfireX.

We only plan on stick with dx11 games max at lowest details, 720p and don't plan on hardcore gaming.

What do you think?

PS - Does the motherboard have 2x x16 pcie slots? yes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175635968441

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
oh you want old ass mid 2000s gaming. putting all of this info into the op probably would have made this quicker...
sure jam one of those into the single pcie slot. you might want to contact the seller and see if they have the card that came out of it, ask them to put it back in for an even $75.

https://ebay.to/3Kgo3YS

heres one it just needs an ssd and some video card of some kind and an operating system.

what do you think?

That one doesn't take registered RAM, only unbuffered.

It will probably do ECC.

I am not aware of small boards taking registered DDR3. For DDR4 there are various Xeon-D options.

he doesnt need to worry about the ram, it comes with 16GB so "cost saving" isnt needed.

he doesnt need to worry about the ram, it comes with 16GB so "cost saving" isnt needed.

But then you are subject to the usual desktop limitations wrt maximum amount of RAM. The whole point about registered RAM is that you can have more of it.

But then you are subject to the usual desktop limitations wrt maximum amount of RAM. The whole point about registered RAM is that you can have more of it.
16gb on a ddr3 based system playing old ass games is plenty.

There are no am4 systems in your budget which support buffered ecc ram, so you can give up on that. Think am3 is the same, but could be wrong. There are some which "support" unbuffered, but may or may not detect and correct errors.

For a bit (possibly a lot) more, embedded epic systems may support buffered ecc. There's also some other arcitecture chips (arm, etc) which may, if you are open to that option.

There are no am4 systems in your budget which support buffered ecc ram, so you can give up on that. Think am3 is the same, but could be wrong. There are some which "support" unbuffered, but may or may not detect and correct errors.

I have 2 Gigabyte AM4 systems running with unbuffered DDR4 ECC. I know it works because I got some bad modules and they reported into the OS just fine. But again, this is limited to 128 GB of RAM.

I have an HP Pro 6305 SFF system which I'm wondering if it supports ecc if not others?

AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3, FM1) Buffered Registered ECC support?

Your 6305 might support ecc udimms depending on processor support. A lot of times HP won't list what a system can do simply becuase it was never tested.

As far as ecc reg systems, check this out and it should point you in the right direction:
https://www.greenpcgamers.com/upgrade-guides/

Thanks. I may purchase a Z230 SFF with Xeon E3-1230 v3 with ECC support stating 32gb max ddr3 but I wanna throw 2x sticks of 32gb ddr3-1866, even know it'll probably only run at 1600 which is certainly obvious, will it handle 2x sticks of 32gb each, 64gb total? Possibly 128gb total down the road? I mean if the sticks exist shouldn't they be supported like AMD systems would even know they said AMD systems would only support 8gb max, I ram 16gb no problem on a DDR2 system. Thanks

Thanks. I may purchase a Z230 SFF with Xeon E3-1230 v3 with ECC support stating 32gb max ddr3 but I wanna throw 2x sticks of 32gb ddr3-1866, even know it'll probably only run at 1600 which is certainly obvious, will it handle 2x sticks of 32gb each, 64gb total? Possibly 128gb total down the road? I mean if the sticks exist shouldn't they be supported like AMD systems would even know they said AMD systems would only support 8gb max, I ram 16gb no problem on a DDR2 system. Thanks
So if you really want to go down this road, I'm not sure about the e3 v3, but I know the e5-2630l v1 in an hp z420 will support 256GB of ECC LRDIMMs--because that's what I have in mine. :D The stock power supplies on these are pretty beefy and you can add a gpu and have a nice little powerhouse. 10 sata ports and a full tower case makes a nice nas setup as well. The best part is these are relatively cheap and the 32GB DDR3 LRDIMM modules can be found as cheap as 20c/gb. Hope this helps!

Screenshot_2024-01-31-08-57-52-98_4d38fce200f96aeac5e860e739312e76.jpg

I don't know how strictly intel hardware follows their specs wrt memory, but that's what the intel ark page says about the e3-1230 v3

View attachment 631701

I don't know how strictly intel hardware follows their specs wrt memory, but that's what the intel ark page says about the e3-1230 v3
A lot of times the bios and chipset makes more of a difference than the cpu. I actually got lucky on my z420 discovery as it is only supposed to take ecc udimms and no rdimms of any kind. I just happened to try an LRDIMM module because I had nothing else that I could test them in, and it booted and passed memtest. Shattered the stock specs of max 32GB ECC UDIMMs too.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Back