What are scariest characters in games?

Most terrifying characters in games are...

• Total voters
Alien in Alien:Isolation, the randomness and ease of ithem killing me, made me go nuts, the inability to kill them just made the encounters more and more scary as you progressed. Really a masterpiece of a game.

Not a character, but the first Silent Hill on PS1 (1999) was scary stuff. I remember playing it in a dark room and was spooked.

The alien in alien isolation was scary but honestly I thought the Android robots were worse.

Also, when in a few of the labs in the STALKER games, some of the mutants were terrifying.

I think atmosphere and sound play a more important role than the specific character used:

Subnautica is hands down the scariest game I've played! But maybe I don't like deep water and what lurks in the unknown.

Alien: Isolation was pretty well done, I will admit, there were times the sound was so good, I had to regather my composure before continuing, it wasn't necessarily the Xenomorph or Androids.

Hi All,
Alien Isolation for me has to be the scariest game I've played. As previously mentioned, the atmosphere is phenomenal. It truly captures the 1979 Alien movie atmosphere. I highly recommend playing it on Nightmare with headphones in the dark for a truly immersive & intense experience.

Anything from Silent Hill has not been mentioned enough.

Edit: Also Fatal Frame!!!

Though the invisible water creature in Amnesia also got my heart racing. Nothing like running from something you can't see yet can hear splashing behind you.

For anyone who hasn't played Phasmaphobia yet, though, its atmosphere and design is pretty fun! You get pretty spooked when the lights start flickering and you know you need to find a closet...

I can say that, bar none, the most I've ever been afraid while playing a game was Doom2, the Cyberdemon. Remember, this was back in the days before the internet for most people, so running around a level and suddenly hearing those stomps...well, you had no idea what that was, but you knew that you were about to get wrecked. And sure enough, there's this mfer with a rocket arm.

Great times. I remember running into that thing the first time while playing across a null modem cable with a friend. Middle of the night, tired and hyped up on sugar and caffeine.

I can say that, bar none, the most I've ever been afraid while playing a game was Doom2, the Cyberdemon. Remember, this was back in the days before the internet for most people, so running around a level and suddenly hearing those stomps...well, you had no idea what that was, but you knew that you were about to get wrecked. And sure enough, there's this mfer with a rocket arm.

Great times. I remember running into that thing the first time while playing across a null modem cable with a friend. Middle of the night, tired and hyped up on sugar and caffeine.

That's funny! A friend of mine was playing, and it may have been the Cyberdemon actually. He started mousing faster and leaning over in his chair to get a bit further away, and ended up falling out of his chair. :D It was definitely one of the bigger boss characters in either Doom or Doom 2. :D

end of thread, nothing else tops this

Play this game in the dark with headphones on after your whole family goes to sleep.

Attachments

• F.E.A.R.-PC.jpg
    F.E.A.R.-PC.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Suffering had the only characters of any video game I ever played that actually gave me nightmares. I remember waking up many times after dreaming of being chased by these nasty bastards...

the-suffering_1.jpg

Scariest moment in a game was when I was playing FEAR 2 and in the game there was an empty room with an ambush.

As the ambush started, all the lights in the game went dark, AND at the same exact moment, the main ceiling light bulb in my real room blew out.

I was like, "yo, this is some next level shit, wtf"

Cyberdemon in Doom 1 the first time you encounter it. Romero also used it right in Map 6 of Sigil. The footsteps when you can't see it are terrifying.

Last edited:
The Alien in Alien Isolation had me shitting my pants many many times. It's easily my favorite horror game of all time but I am a huge Alien fan so I may be a little biased.

The Spitters from L4D1 and 2 creep me the hell out. That long neck.......

And the half man half scorpions from Serious Sam.

First time playing The Last Of Us and those damn clickers and;
lol i'll admit it... my son hounds the hell out of me to play Emily Wants To Play on his HTC Vive and I get sick at my stomach at every time that lil bitch pops up out of no where in that dark ass house while I'm stumped down in the corner of a room
:LOL:

For me it's dinosaurs. Especially in ARK... I stop for a moment to check my inventory or to craft something and out of nowhere a dino will be eating me while I'm still alive.

Speaking of babies, what about the Cherubs from Doom 3? I think they were cut out of the BFG release for some reason.

I think atmosphere and sound play a more important role than the specific character used:

Subnautica is hands down the scariest game I've played! But maybe I don't like deep water and what lurks in the unknown.

Alien: Isolation was pretty well done, I will admit, there were times the sound was so good, I had to regather my composure before continuing, it wasn't necessarily the Xenomorph or Androids.
Couldn't agree more. Some of the scariest set pieces in games for me were a combination of the whole environment, not just the monsters themselves. This is why Dead Space and Silent Hill are two of the scariest series, for me. Dead Space 2 and Silent Hill 2, in particular, are nonstop with the creepy locales that will have you looking over your shoulder in real life. The former is the only game that ever truly creeped me out to the point that I would get uncomfortable while playing it for more than an hour. The hospital and basement complex under the boathouse in Silent Hill 2 still give me nightmares.

Back