What are scariest characters in games?

Most terrifying characters in games are...

• Total voters

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
Taco was trying to watch a movie about ghosts and couldn't get past like 20 minutes because ghosts were really scary. Now I thought if a movie cn be scary, I would imagine a game, where you cn interact and part-take cn make it even more scary! What makes you most afraid?

Taco take on this: ghosts are scary because they cn move unpredictably, move through walls and appear out of nowhere nd cnt kill them!👻😯

Zombies less scary, predictable, usually slow too. Taken out with four shotgun shells or one throwing knife. Meh..

Girls with guns, yeah imagine killing ellie's dog nd she catches you? 😮😮😯

So, what's shecires?
This..
ghosts.jpg
This..
latest?cb=20170619190340.jpg
Or?
1125.jpg

Fear of the unknown like Five nights with Freddy was basically the last virtual game to freak me out. Jump scares and flickers of light.

Last edited:
The Necromorphs from Dead Space were pretty scary.

Also, The Creeper from The Suffering: Ties that Bind was a scary SOB. Most of the enemies from both of The Suffering games are intense and horrifying.

Eddie Gluskin from Outlast Whistleblower is up there as well.

Then, the Xenomorph from Alien: Isolation.

Games like Soma or Amnesia, might be scary, but, those games are more story driven and I don't find myself scared while playing them. I'm not truly fearing for my in game life.

the Titanite Demons in Dark Souls 1 always creeped me out in terms of their design and movement...

The zombies/imps eyes in Doom 3.....when that was released I had some really good freakouts and hated those damn eyes....the eyes...

Last edited:
The creepy things in uncharted 1 on the sub. Mostly cause it was pitch black in there and the sounds.

The crazed masked guys from Condemned.

Ooh, yeah. The mannequins were creepy, that game was well done.
Sucks the sequel was console only, and, they never made more. I wonder if the IP is still up for sale?

I didn't find ravenholm scary in HL2, it was just another level, never understood the fuss about it. It's one of the more relaxed levels of the game.
I didn't find it overly scary, but it was certainly VERY cinematic, had some quite interesting sequences, crazy what's-his-name running around the rooftops, plenty of saw-blades to shoot at the enemies. It was dark, and a very well thought out level IMO.

It's not out yet, but a lot of the things in Atomic Heart look (if not overtly frightening) at least scary in more thought-provoking ways. Can't wait to play that game.

That thing that chases you in Amnesia: Dark Descent. Alien from Alien: Isolation. The Bear in Condemned 2. Basically, anything you can't bullet sponge and need to hide from.

There's something to be said for the inmates in Outlast and the cultists in Outlast 2. It's always kinda scary when you have no means to defend yourself and being spotted is a game over 75% of the time. At the same time, it's honestly frustrating that your character won't even try to fight back. Some kind of flailing kick or punch that can free you half the time or something.

That thing that chases you in Amnesia: Dark Descent. Alien from Alien: Isolation. The Bear in Condemned 2. Basically, anything you can't bullet sponge and need to hide from.

Oh, that reminds me of SOMA. (I haven't actually played the Amnesia games even though I own them.) The things in SOMA are pretty scary, especially since you can't really do much other than hide from them. The audio and visual effects for them are just right too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall the original Alone in the Dark game making me jump good a couple times but it was more the element of surprise than a scary character. The reaper leviathans in Subnautica were pretty freaky looking but again the only time they disturbed me is when I would turn around and find one right in my face all of a sudden that I didn't even know was around.

Outlast generally. Nope wrapped on nope.

Especially when you wear headphones and constantly have the dog or partner sneaking up on you.

I picked 'ghosts' in the poll, but I would say maybe monstrosities with shapeshifting capacities. And QUICKLY moving creatures with stealth (like those in the end levels of F.E.A.R.).
Or invincible mo'f*ckas like the tall unkillable necromorphs in the end stage of Dead Space 2 (and through DS3). They creeped the freaking life out of me and I just wanted to rush through the places of encounter fast as possible. (I always like to 'house-clean' whenever I'm playing survival horror games, or generally, so those might be the worst enemies.)

Uh, hello, System Shock 2 had giant invisible spiders. You had to listen for them.

My second favorite game of all time! And the hybrids telling you how sorry they were to be bashing your head in! I found it more disturbing than scary, but still spot-on.

It’s funny but as cheery as Ultima Ascension generally was, I found its spiders a bit more scary.

The best though were Doom 3’s. You could hear them clicking in vents as you’re slowly crawling through them.

I picked 'ghosts' in the poll, but I would say maybe monstrosities with shapeshifting capacities. And QUICKLY moving creatures with stealth (like those in the end levels of F.E.A.R.).
Or invincible mo'f*ckas like the tall unkillable necromorphs in the end stage of Dead Space 2 (and through DS3). They creeped the freaking life out of me and I just wanted to rush through the places of encounter fast as possible. (I always like to 'house-clean' whenever I'm playing survival horror games, or generally, so those might be the worst enemies.)

Alma was pretty scary breakdancing across the floor at you, or appearing as you climb a ladder. :D

if it is in a video game than maybe fear. above the ladder made me jump.

not sure in real life what is more scary, russian roulette or just mutilating yourself.

Back