What are folks using for thermal paste these days?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by heelix, Apr 18, 2017.

1. heelix

heelix [H]ard|Gawd

Just finished off my last tube of Artic Silver, after having ordered several big tubes a few years back. What is the current 'goto' thermal paste for builders these days? (Took me way too many years to burn through what I had).

2. Shadohh

Shadohh Gawd

I am using Noctua NT-H1, Its atleast 3 years old, still works great.

ChoGGi and wirerogue like this.
  3. Bandalo

Bandalo [H]ard|Gawd

Another vote for the Noctua paste...works well, cheap, and seems to be in the top-tier on all the roundups.

4. Xaeos

Xaeos [H]ardness Supreme

If you're talking about "standard style" thermal pastes (ie no adhesive, not the kind that are full on metal plates that need to be "melted on" a la Indigo Xtreme), the new top of the line is apparently Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Right below that are some of the older top spot holders such as Gelid GC Extreme and Prolimatech PK-3. There are also some of the solid offerings from Noctua, IC Diamond, ShinEtsu, ArcticCooling MX-4 and plenty of others that have long been on the market. Most of these are fairly inexpensive and easy to work with and in many cases the difference between one past or another may be within 1 or 2 degrees or less.

Hell, the Kryonaut, GC Extreme, PK-3, and Noctua can be found on Amazon for between $8-15, so its pretty affordable to go for it!

5. Susquehannock

Susquehannock 2[H]4U

Shin-Etsu x23-7783d on CPUs.

Arctic Silver 5 on automotive ignition coil packs.

6. GlacierNine

GlacierNine [H]Lite

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the generally-accepted KOTH these days, albeit it's not very widely distributed.

There's also the Coollaboratory liquid stuff, and Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, if you want to deal with their hard-to-apply nature and definite safety disadvantages.

Also mentioned earlier was the crazy EKWB Indigo Extreme - it's literally a metal with a low melting point and an applicator. you run your CPU to it's thermal throttle to "reflow" it evenly across the CPU die and then it solidifies again. It won't melt again under normal use and is, apparently, pretty crazy good at what it does.

7. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Ask Kyle for his pick. :p

8. Emission

Emission 2[H]4U

Arctic Cooling MX-4. Relatively inexpensive, easy to spread, great performance.

9. silent-circuit

silent-circuit [H]ardForum Junkie

10. kyriptic

kyriptic [H]Lite

I normally use arctic silver 5, but this time around going to try out MX-4. Not really expecting much difference though.

11. Mr. Bluntman

Mr. Bluntman [H]ardness Supreme

Arctic Silver Ceramique/Ceramique 2. Works just as good as (or slightly better than) AS5 but non conductive. With an application on my GTX 960 2GB the average boost clocks in the most intensive titles are up by a good 30-50MHz. Just from changing the paste. The best part is the price. ~$7 for a 25g tube of the stuff. That's a whole lot of applications.

These fancy liquid metal TIMs are way beyond my needs. :cat:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  12. Outlaw85

Outlaw85 Limp Gawd

Been using Arctic Silver's Arctic Alumina for a couple years now after switching from Arcitc Silver 5.

13. Nebulous

Nebulous Gawd

AS Ceramique & Noctua NT-H1. Both work really good.

14. arestavo

arestavo Gawd

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for the jobs that I want the best, long lasting TIM for, and ICDiamond that was leftover from a few years back for backup systems.

I'll never use another liquid metal TIM after I had two different applications of Coollabratories Liquid Ultra dry out after ~9 months. Temps went up ~10C on my old laptop's 3920XM, and they went up 20C on my old 3930K - both well into the 90C range which was not acceptable.

15. Napoleon

Napoleon Gawd

gave my tube of AS5 to a friend and bought a giant tube MX4 to try out. I was using IC Diamond 7 for my CPU but it's hard to apply and I want to start messing around with GPU cooling; I figure might as well give the MX4 a try, especially since I've been ripping my waterblock off more and more often

16. WhoBeDaPlaya

WhoBeDaPlaya [H]ard|Gawd

ICD for fancier builds, MX2/4 for standard builds, Kraft singles for hobo builds ;)

17. Pandur

Pandur Limp Gawd

Been using Noctua NT-H1 for years now. It's still performing excellent.

18. NukeDukem

NukeDukem [H]ard|Gawd

I recently used GELID GC Extreme for both my 7700k and my 1080 Ti. Easy to apply, great thermals, would spread again!

19. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|Gawd

Using THermal Grizzly Hydronaut on mine right now, based on all the reports and tests I've seen, Kryo does beat it, but it's a small amount for a pretty large price jump imo.

Everyone elses junk gets Xigmatek PTI-G4512, works good and can be had on sale for really cheap.

20. Gulvan

Gulvan n00bie

Ive only used arctic silver 5, lol. Aint broke, dont fix it.

21. GlacierNine

GlacierNine [H]Lite

You're posting this on a forum where people routinely take razorblades to hundreds of dollars in CPUs that aren't broken, solely to be able to cool them better. Are you lost?

rgMekanic likes this.
  22. wizzi01

wizzi01 Gawd

You areally posting in a thread asking for an opinion. Dude gave his opinion. Are you lost?

23. GlacierNine

GlacierNine [H]Lite

Calm down you sanctimonious dunce, it was said in jest.

24. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Noctua NT-H1. IC diamond when I can get it.