What are best options for Intelligent PDUs 208v w remote ethernet power cycle mgtment

acesea

Limp Gawd
I've seen a lot of companies like APC, Eaton, Avocent/Cyclades make PDUs and have product lines that offer remote power on/off features over networks. I've worked on some units in the past and wasn't too impressed at the implementation of the remote administration features. Probably because they were older pdus that didn't have builtin webservers but instead used rs232 back to kvm ip switches that had ethernet and webgui's for basic control and for more features additional software and licenses were required.

A project we are working on now requires purchasing several 208v pdus that can be 0 or 1u and its prefered they all be from the same company and product family so we need to find the most appropriate solution.

If it makes any difference the UPSs at the project are current generation Eaton and we will be installing the ip network cards and vibs in esxi that will allow the UPSs to communicate with vmware. Are there any pdus that can also extend features into vmware?

We can purchase refurbished gear on fleabay and if there are compelling reasons for it we can also buy new. What should we look at on the market today and on the features and performance versus cost spectrum what features do you particularly recommend for intelligent pdus?

Thanks

Last edited:
Let's open this discussion up to higher voltage.

Anyone here have recommendations on 208v 1 or 3 phase and 480v 3 phase PDUs for larger distribution that has some intelligence we can communicate with? For example metering, amp load, snmp, alerts, anything? What are commonly used in datacenters nowadays?

Last edited:
Emerson may be one to take a look at as I've heard good things about them. Sadly 90% of the stuff I deal with is DC powered so I'm not much help.

We use Baytech PDUs in my lab. They have a decent webui and work very well. We also use their RPS products for remote site power and console. We use vertical PDUs in the lab as that makes for a cleaner and neater rack. Horizontal PDU just don't work as well IMHO once you start populating your racks. We tossed all the APC horizontal power from our local lab in favour of the BayTech gear.

Back