What Anti-Virus software Do you use?

logan1

Gawd
I an looking for a good reliable alternative to norton antivirus and firewall. All suggestions are welcome.

thanx
john

NOD32, Kaspersky for AV
ZoneAlarm for firewall

This is what I use after being mollested by Norton. The pain can finally heal. *Sniff*

Nod32 for AV
Kerio (now sunbelt)+WRT54G for firewall.

There's a bunch of threads on this same topic, if you search for them, you'll find a LOT of NOD32 users around here. It's as light on the ram as it gets, and very effective. It's like the polar opposite of Norton.

Concerning Norton, while it may be popular to pick on the big guys, try uninstalling it sometime. You'll understand why it's so hated. Oh, and bring the dynamite.

NOD32 has so many things to configure in order to be thorough, which might confuse novice users. Otherwise it's an excellent program.

Oldie said:
Nod32 for AV
Kerio (now sunbelt)+WRT54G for firewall.

There's a bunch of threads on this same topic, if you search for them, you'll find a LOT of NOD32 users around here. It's as light on the ram as it gets, and very effective. It's like the polar opposite of Norton.

Concerning Norton, while it may be popular to pick on the big guys, try uninstalling it sometime. You'll understand why it's so hated. Oh, and bring the dynamite.

I use the same exact setup, with the addition of ProcessGuard.

NOD32 for myself...

AVG Free edition for the computer I build/fix

The new Kaspersky AV 2006 version has shown results as good as NOD32 if not better. It also has a higher malware detection rate and is even lighter on resources. I've been using the 30 day trial and i dont have any complaints.

NOD32 for an Anti Virus, due to the great on access protection while still leading all of its competition in the lack of resources department.

+

Windows SP2 Firewall w/ Hardware firewall which takes care of all of my "all ways running" protection.

Other stuff I run scans with include:

Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ewido Anti-Malware, and eTrust Pest Patrol. I also use the MVPs host file, IESpyad, and Spyware Blaster. All of the above with up-to-date signatures and definitions. And of corse, MS Updates.

This setup has keeps me free of viruses, spyware, etc etc

Got rid of NAV on four of my machines at home and I am running AVG Free edition. It seems to provide decent protection, and I like the small footprint it takes for memory and process', but I wonder just how secure it is? I am open to suggestions for a 3rd party non retail (McAfee, Norton, et all) solution.

-E

MrE said:
Got rid of NAV on four of my machines at home and I am running AVG Free edition. It seems to provide decent protection, and I like the small footprint it takes for memory and process', but I wonder just how secure it is? I am open to suggestions for a 3rd party non retail (McAfee, Norton, et all) solution.

-E

My suggestion, NOD32 or AVG (what you have).

MrE said:

-E

An antivirus alone wont make a system secure. It only deals with viruses and trojans and things of that nature once they arrive on the system. It doesn't protect you from something getting in. I would suggest a good software firewall like Kerio or ZA and learn how to lock your system down. Kaspersky has a really great security suite with their new 2006 AV which provides a firewall and spyware detecter and things of that nature if your looking for an all-in-one type product.

BitDefender.

i've think i have tried everything on the market.

BD has been fine.had issues with the firewall so i'm using windows firewall.

McAfee Enterprise 8 (AV)
Zone Alarm Security Suite (Firewall w/built-in av and spyware remover)
BEFW11S4 (Wireless B router with 4-port switch, locked down with 128 bit WEP)

All free............ :eek:

burningrave101 said:
An antivirus alone wont make a system secure. It only deals with viruses and trojans and things of that nature once they arrive on the system. It doesn't protect you from something getting in. I would suggest a good software firewall like Kerio or ZA and learn how to lock your system down. Kaspersky has a really great security suite with their new 2006 AV which provides a firewall and spyware detecter and things of that nature if your looking for an all-in-one type product.
No worries there. I have Microsoft's Defender, Spybot Search and Destroy, Lavasoft's Adaware Plus edition as well as my router's firewall AND MS's firewall built into WinXP.
If anything gets past that, I have a current build of Ultimate CD built and ready to go.

-E

The two best ones i use is nod 32 and spysweeper. Both are excellent. I tried all the common ones like norton pccilian and panda and they are all flaky one way or another. Either they screw around with my system or the interfer too much. Nod 32 is by far the least system intensive and the best that catches things.

MrE said:
No worries there. I have Microsoft's Defender, Spybot Search and Destroy, Lavasoft's Adaware Plus edition as well as my router's firewall AND MS's firewall built into WinXP.
If anything gets past that, I have a current build of Ultimate CD built and ready to go.

-E

None of those protect you from outward bound traffic. The hardware firewall and MS firewall protects against the traffic coming in but you can't monitor whats being transmitted out from your computer.

Oh...it is that tiem of the week again........

Avast
Symantec Corp 10

An antivirus alone wont make a system secure.

Sure, with a firewall, and some other applications that ARNT running all the time and you just use for periodic scans. You will fine. I like how you speak for everyone.

It only deals with viruses and trojans and things of that nature once they arrive on the system. It doesn't protect you from something getting in.

They make on access protection for a reason, it is'nt the most thourough because they need to conserve resorces, but it does protect you.

I would suggest a good software firewall like Kerio or ZA and learn how to lock your system down.

A hardware firewall will do a much better job then that.

Kaspersky has a really great security suite with their new 2006 AV which provides a firewall and spyware detecter and things of that nature if your looking for an all-in-one type product.

Do you really need something to be constantly on the look out for adaware/spyware? If your smart about what your doing, you dont need something constantly checking everywhere you go and everything you open for every type of "bad-ware" out there.

The hardware firewall and MS firewall protects against the traffic coming in but you can't monitor whats being transmitted out from your computer.

If your computer is clean, then you should'nt need to be monitoring what is going out of your computer, because there is'nt anything going out that shouldnt be.

burningrave101 said:
None of those protect you from outward bound traffic. The hardware firewall and MS firewall protects against the traffic coming in but you can't monitor whats being transmitted out from your computer.
I also have a program running called Privx that checks any and all requests from the HOST to the outside world. It also updates on a regular basis (weekly)

-E

What I use:
Full version of NOD32
Full version of ProcessGuard

Software firewall I'm just using windows firewall, I might check out some other one someday though (not ZA, I don't like that one at all)
and for spyware, I just use Spybot Search and Destroy, and AdAware. But spyware isn't a problem for me now.. in 3 months I didn't get any spyware, only some that was considered not a threat.

You really should check out NOD32, and if you want you can use the free version of processguard, but full version offers a lot more.

Read this thread for some good info
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1017161&page=1&pp=20
specifically, check out what Ice Czar has to say. Very good posts on page 2. You can learn a lot from him.

oh, and icedigger on these forums sells NOD32 liscences for $35.

Back