What AMD CPU will give me the fastest OC ?

Mixman

Gawd
I am looking for the CPU that will give me the fastest speeds through an OC (on air) lets say under $500.

what about just on stock cooling?

in the other thread people are saying opterons run quite hot

if you have a budget of $500, you can get a 146 and have $250 left over for water cooling ;)

wahoyaho said:
what about just on stock cooling?

in the other thread people are saying opterons run quite hot

I wonder about this as well.

It also seems that stepping can play an important role.

-fro

It seems like much more a roll of the dice with Opty's. You have to get the right stepping to get that great OC.

Mixman said:
It seems like much more a roll of the dice with Opty's. You have to get the right stepping to get that great OC.
but even if you get a "lame" one, it's still as good as a regular san diego, but cheaper. win-win to me ;)

Mixman said:

I have a CABYE that's not considered the cream of the crop. It's doing 2.8ghz pretty easily. I'm sure there's room for more.

the X2 4400 is near below $500 after the price change. How about the X2 3800 ?

Yes right here they are $497. But that's still $165 more than the X2 3800. I wonder if anyone has the 4400 still think it's worth that much more than the 3800 ?

(cf)Eclipse said:
but even if you get a "lame" one, it's still as good as a regular san diego, but cheaper. win-win to me ;)

How is an Opteron 146 (S939) cheaper? It's over $200 ($221 at monarch) for a 2.0GHz/1MB chip. You can get a SD 3700+ for only $11 more, and it's got an extra 200MHz stock.

DieLate said:
How is an Opteron 146 (S939) cheaper? It's over $200 ($221 at monarch) for a 2.0GHz/1MB chip. You can get a SD 3700+ for only $11 more, and it's got an extra 200MHz stock.

I paid $160 for my Opteron, as did Ozzi. 144 is only around that. Plus, OpterOWN has its own club. You get free membership to both Club OpterOWN AND the 939 club. The 3700+ only gets you into the 939 one.

Back