What am I missing? Why all the love for mechanical keyboards?

Scheibler1

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've a Logitech G510 keyboard that I love. I find the lcd amazingly useful monitoring Mai afterburner, coretemp, and cpu/ram performance.

I'm just a little confused as to all the hype of mechanical keyboards? Is at all just for the stroke of the key? I understand you can get different switches for firmness, noise, etc.

I use my Corsair K65 w/Cherry Silver switches for gaming, but I'm a terrible typist on it.

I type so much faster and more accurately on scissor switch/laptop style boards like my Logitech K810.

I picked up a Logitech with Cherry MX switches and couldn't stand it. Just slightly brushing your finger over a key would cause a typo. Brown would have been better but wasn't available at the store. I ended up just getting a Logitech membrane KB since I really just want illuminated keys.

At summer I did visit a big city and had chance to try out these mechanical keyboards, all that were put on display were such that sneeze would cause a key press, no resistance at all or it was so little that it would take quite bit of time to get used to. I could not observe much of any change in resistance, keys just click and bottom out, tag next to keyboards stated Cherry MX without any definition of what kind of MX, there were 10 different models / brands of keyboard.

My previous experience with mechanical keyboards was from 80's and I think those had clear point when pushing key down, where resistance was higher, then it gave in with a click, that was how it was with Keytronic keyboard and really liked that sharp feel. I'm using now Sturmovik A1 cheap illuminated keyboard, lot better touch feel than basic keyboards and miles better for typing than any of those 10 mechanical ones I tested at the summer.

I would like to get to test MX black or MX brown, so that I would know if those are still without clear point where they get key press and very light to press, or if those indeed are something better. Option to illuminate individual keys with different colors is something I would like as well as improved build quality (use of metal, features by better electronics), but I'm not going to sacrifice typing speed over that.

I guess that with many mechanical keyboards users just push button all the way down, while those who type more prefer that feel when key is registering to be pressed and tends to push key only what is required instead of bottoming out. There might also be some learning curve / adjusting period to get best out of those, which I have no idea of, bit expensive to buy one just for experimenting about it.

Unique feel, seemingly endless customization (you can build your own!) and they're just different. People have built an entire hobby around just mechanical keyboards. It's like anything else, people just get into it.

Check out reddit.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards to see what i mean.

I personally didn't get it until I finally spent some time with one and fell in love. The typing experience is amazing and you can really fine tune it by figuring out what switches you like best.

I picked up a Logitech with Cherry MX switches and couldn't stand it. Just slightly brushing your finger over a key would cause a typo. Brown would have been better but wasn't available at the store. I ended up just getting a Logitech membrane KB since I really just want illuminated keys.

Potentially Cherry MX Speed switches. CRAZY high engagement point, made for people who really touch type or gamers. Standard Cherry MX Reds would have been better (that's what I have in my Corsair K65). Cherry makes many switches.

D3E80ABF180F46D3B437AFDBDD8C5FAA.ashx

At summer I did visit a big city and had chance to try out these mechanical keyboards, all that were put on display were such that sneeze would cause a key press, no resistance at all or it was so little that it would take quite bit of time to get used to. I could not observe much of any change in resistance, keys just click and bottom out, tag next to keyboards stated Cherry MX without any definition of what kind of MX, there were 10 different models / brands of keyboard.

My previous experience with mechanical keyboards was from 80's and I think those had clear point when pushing key down, where resistance was higher, then it gave in with a click, that was how it was with Keytronic keyboard and really liked that sharp feel. I'm using now Sturmovik A1 cheap illuminated keyboard, lot better touch feel than basic keyboards and miles better for typing than any of those 10 mechanical ones I tested at the summer.

I would like to get to test MX black or MX brown, so that I would know if those are still without clear point where they get key press and very light to press, or if those indeed are something better. Option to illuminate individual keys with different colors is something I would like as well as improved build quality (use of metal, features by better electronics), but I'm not going to sacrifice typing speed over that.

I guess that with many mechanical keyboards users just push button all the way down, while those who type more prefer that feel when key is registering to be pressed and tends to push key only what is required instead of bottoming out. There might also be some learning curve / adjusting period to get best out of those, which I have no idea of, bit expensive to buy one just for experimenting about it.

Mechanical keyswitches come in TONS of flavors, shame one you didn't like made you think they were all like that. Engagement point, resistance, clicky or not click.. you can get exactly what you want.

From about 1999-2013 I used an original IBM PS/2 keyboard. Only abandoned it when my computer no longer had a native PS/2 port. I still have the old brick too. I might just switch back since the Precision T3500 I have now, has the port

From about 1999-2013 I used an original IBM PS/2 keyboard. Only abandoned it when my computer no longer had a native PS/2 port. I still have the old brick too. I might just switch back since the Precision T3500 I have now, has the port

If it was a Model M, there are plenty of people who want to buy that should you want to get rid of it.

It is a model M. I know, there regarded as the best

Maybe the best of the old keyboards, but they can in no way compare to the newer mechanical keyboards.

If I still had a Model M around, I would immediately sell it and get a nice new mechanical keyboard.

I can't stand non-mechanical keyboards anymore. I can type way faster with a mechanical keyboard than with a membrane one.

Once you get used to mechanical, the membrane keyboards are pretty unbearable to use.. They really just suck is all there is to it.

Home: Corsair Strafe RGB
Work: Cherry MX board 6.0

You have inspired me to hook my model M to this T3500. It's been in closet far too long.

Mechanical keyboards suck, don't bother getting into the hype.

Your wallet will thank you.

I have five varied boards now with another in the mail.

I too am mostly underwhelmed. I tried a few at best buy and even though I consider myself someone who appreciates good tactile feedback in general I just didn't see much difference.

Still using my G15 until I can find another keyboard with a screen, back lighting, and 2xusb.

well different key strokes.. HAHAHAHAHA ...Punny???.. for different folks.

I will never voluntarily use another membrane keyboard again after experiencing the delight of mechanical keyboards.

I have been rocking this Filco MajestTouch 2 TKL for nearly two years now.. w/ PBT double shots .. quite please.. I guess I have better be since it was $160~ (including the key caps)..
filco4.jpg

Mechanical keyswitches come in TONS of flavors, shame one you didn't like made you think they were all like that. Engagement point, resistance, clicky or not click.. you can get exactly what you want.

I did test 10 different brands and models that were available for testing, not just one, nowhere I did write that I would think all of mechanical keyboards to be like those 10 (at least did not intend to, but who knows what senile brain puts out sometimes or is it fingers!).

Those 10 were quite similar to each other, but there is not knowing if any of those had brown or black switches, probably all had reds, so until I have tested keyboards that certainly have blacks or browns there is no way to make any conclusion about those.

atarione, clean up that keyboard or soon it will look like mine tends to look ;-)

Honestly, I had no idea what the hype was until I got one. Now, to be fair, I was going in blind and chose the MX browns. I knew Cherry was the original creators of the switch that alot of people are knocking off since their patent expired, so I wanted the 'legit' experience. I was coming from about 15 years of using the Microsoft Ergo 4000 keyboard. I have noticed the mechanical, like the ergo, has it's own learning curve. I like it better for typing and would probably like it better for gaming. However, I still love the ergo format and truly wish SOMEONE would make that with mechanicals so I can buy one.

Short story, buy one and I would either suggest the blues or the browns, the reds don't have any tactile feedback making it harder to adjust to the new sense of actuation that is on your keyboard.

I too am mostly underwhelmed. I tried a few at best buy and even though I consider myself someone who appreciates good tactile feedback in general I just didn't see much difference.

Still using my G15 until I can find another keyboard with a screen, back lighting, and 2xusb.

G15 is great. Useful to have one before my g510. Fit out of pc having for a couple years and sold it or is still use one

You don't want black at all, they're linear. You would want blues, or greens. Also, to replicate the keytronic feel, you'd probably want an IBM Model M buckling spring keyboard.

https://www.pckeyboard.com still sells the old styles, and they're still amazing.

I know I'm a MUCH faster typist with the old model M, than I am with a modern soft touch keyboard. Right now I'm using some Logitech " Internet " keyboard from the early '00's. I needed a USB keyboard and this was a spare that I probably got from a thrift store or something for a few bucks.. I really should switch back to the Model M now that I can.

I think the worst keyboard ever, is the old Commadore 64 breadbox.

You don't want black at all, they're linear. You would want blues, or greens. Also, to replicate the keytronic feel, you'd probably want an IBM Model M buckling spring keyboard.

https://www.pckeyboard.com still sells the old styles, and they're still amazing.

Those certainly look interesting, bit worried about some comments on Amazon, though. Quality seems to be bit of an issue with those.

Logitech internet keyboard sounds something I have at warehouse, creaks from every touch, keys feel like if plastic would bind on plastic and resistance depends on how straight you press the keys.

I used to have this kind of Keytronic, looking the price I still wish I would have that:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Key-Tronic-...290093?hash=item3d2f0b88ad:g:3hAAAOSwgApW-2WG

Good tip about blacks, so I keep on eye for those blues and greens then!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just like the feel much better, mechanical feel like I am moving a precision device with very good feedback. The membrane keyboards (like the one I am typing on now) feels like I am pressing foam rubber with my fingers.

Just user choice. Just bought a Corsair K65 LUX RGB with Cherry Red switches from BestBuy - on sale for $99 with free shipping.

well different key strokes.. HAHAHAHAHA ...Punny???.. for different folks.

I will never voluntarily use another membrane keyboard again after experiencing the delight of mechanical keyboards.

Yea, I prefer my chiclets sweet and chewable.

869ed4decfec61cb.jpg

I've owned 4 different mech boards, all different switches (one blue, one black, one red, and one clear). Cherry Clears are by far my favorite. Typing feels more.... natural? and isn't fatiguing whatsoever. I do want tot check out Greens as well, but my Code Keyboard does everything it needs and after 2 years is one of, if not the best investment I've ever made.

There is a lot of hype around mechanical keyboards now, absolutely.
But not only. Some qualities that keyboards (and typewriters before them) used to have, were lost when computers became a mass-market item and rubber dome/membrane keyboards became the norm. One aspect of the current trend is about getting some of that back.
There are even keyboards, such as Topre Realforce that are rubber dome keyboards, but because they are of high quality they are often well-regarded and often referred to as "mechanical" even though do not have mechanical key switches.

I second the recommendation for Cherry MX Clear. It is a shame that it so under-represented out there, but part of that is because people don't understand it. It does have a stiff spring, but it is also highly tactile. People trying them out for the first time think they are too heavy because they type on them as they have re used to, but the thing is that you don't have to press down below the tactile bump. Once you have learned to type without doing that, that is when they become light.
Personally, I have four keyboards with them: My first one, for trying out the switch (cheap, used), then a tenkeyless (no number pad) for home, a tenkeyless for work and a compact keyboard for travel.

I love my Corsair Strafe and Cherry MX Reds, no way I'm going back to rubber dome as my primary. I will still continue using Logitech's great wireless keyboards as secondaries (work, terminals, phone), but the feel of a mechanical keyboard (IMHO) is just so much better for anything heavy duty (be it games or otherwise). Next keyboard I'm looking forward to trying MX Brown or MX Blue.

Mechanical keyboards suck, don't bother getting into the hype.

Your wallet will thank you.

I have five varied boards now with another in the mail.

They are expensive. That's for sure.

Fuck the G15. I had the old one and the new one. The coating on the key caps rubbed off in 8 months to a year and looked terrible. For a membrane keyboard they did have a reasonably good feel to them but as is the case with any membrane keyboard, it didn't last. Within a year they developed that horrible plastic feeling complete with that creeking noise they all develop.

Some people like the Cherry MX Black switches. They are the same as Cherry MX Reds but require a little more actuation force. They are a bit quieter than Blues or Browns as well. To duplicate the IBM buckling spring switch I think the Cherry MX Greens are probably the way to go. I know there are one or two motherboards that use them. They are like Cherry MX Blues but require slightly more activation force. There are a bunch of newer switches which may or may not be close either. I don't know. I've never tried any of the Romer G switches or the Alpha-Zulu switches. That's based on my recollection of the Model M which I haven't used in many years so take the Cherry MX Green recommendation with a grain of salt.

Those certainly look interesting, bit worried about some comments on Amazon, though. Quality seems to be bit of an issue with those.

Logitech internet keyboard sounds something I have at warehouse, creaks from every touch, keys feel like if plastic would bind on plastic and resistance depends on how straight you press the keys.

I used to have this kind of Keytronic, looking the price I still wish I would have that:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Key-Tronic-...290093?hash=item3d2f0b88ad:g:3hAAAOSwgApW-2WG

Good tip about blacks, so I keep on eye for those blues and greens then!

The Cherry MX Blacks are fine. They may not be what you are looking for. Personally I'd take virtually any mechanical keyboard over a membrane one regardless of the switch type.

A couple years ago, I had no clue what was a mechanical keyboard, some of my friends had some. Once I finally got the money for one, I bought the razer black widow ultimate I feel in love, now I can't go back to normal keyboards.

Here is a good guide about gaming/mechanical keyboards. https://exposegaming.com/how-to-find-perfect-gaming-keyboard/

That's funny considering the Razer Black Widow Ultimate is among the worst quality mechanical keyboards out there. I've had two of them and hated them. When I got into computers I had never heard of membrane switches. The mechanicals always felt better to me. I held onto a beige keyboard for many years despite my black case and monitor. It looked ugly but I hated the membrane based garbage that plagued the market for so long. For awhile all there was were Cherry MX based units from TG3/Deck and a couple other vendors. That was it.

There is a lot of hype around mechanical keyboards now, absolutely.
But not only. Some qualities that keyboards (and typewriters before them) used to have, were lost when computers became a mass-market item and rubber dome/membrane keyboards became the norm. One aspect of the current trend is about getting some of that back.
There are even keyboards, such as Topre Realforce that are rubber dome keyboards, but because they are of high quality they are often well-regarded and often referred to as "mechanical" even though do not have mechanical key switches.

I second the recommendation for Cherry MX Clear. It is a shame that it so under-represented out there, but part of that is because people don't understand it. It does have a stiff spring, but it is also highly tactile. People trying them out for the first time think they are too heavy because they type on them as they have re used to, but the thing is that you don't have to press down below the tactile bump. Once you have learned to type without doing that, that is when they become light.
Personally, I have four keyboards with them: My first one, for trying out the switch (cheap, used), then a tenkeyless (no number pad) for home, a tenkeyless for work and a compact keyboard for travel.

I don't think I've ever tried Cherry MX clears. I've tried most of the others and Cherry MX Blues are my favorite switch by far. Unfortunately, very few "gaming" keyboards are made with them. Every one wants those fucking Cherry MX Reds.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Found my AT to PS/2 adapter. Now I can get clicking old school style.

#131 Silver Label. Older heavier model with nice stiff springs.
!
model-m.jpg

Last edited:
Some people like the Cherry MX Black switches. They are the same as Cherry MX Reds but require a little more actuation force. They are a bit quieter than Blues or Browns as well. To duplicate the IBM buckling spring switch I think the Cherry MX Greens are probably the way to go. I know there are one or two motherboards that use them. They are like Cherry MX Blues but require slightly more activation force. There are a bunch of newer switches which may or may not be close either. I don't know. I've never tried any of the Romer G switches or the Alpha-Zulu switches. That's based on my recollection of the Model M which I haven't used in many years so take the Cherry MX Green recommendation with a grain of salt.

He specifically asked for a clicky switch. Which is why I told him not to go black, and to go blue or green. Because that's what he wanted.

I think he is bit confused and thinking of visiting bigger city next summer in attempt to have test of them all different ones :)

More resistance is better, my fingers are not what they were when I was young, so I have found out stiffer keys helps a bit to avoid 'accidents'.

I started with a CM Storm Trigger with Cherry MX Reds and loved it. I fat fingered the hell out of it when I first started using it, but the feel of the mechanical switches is just buttery smooth. Reds aren't really for typing, more for gaming, but I've gotten used to them. Eventually tried a few other keyboards, one with Razer's Orange switches which is fantastic all around, then an old Razer BlackWidow that I picked up from a friend with Cherry MX Blues. Initially I hated the 'click' aspect of it in terms of noise and feel, but it grew on me after a bit of time using it and now it's my main keyboard at home.

I've also had no issues going back and forth between Reds and Blues from work to home.

I think this is a sort of 'to each their own' sort of thing. Most people I talk to love mechanical keyboards, but that's my own experience.

I'd still be using a Unicomp Keyboard if they made a tenless version. I prefer the feel of the buckling spring to the Cherry MX Blues. My last keyboard was the following Mpow keyboard:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K9CNIWK/
It's only $34. The Unicomp is a lot more sturdy and has a nice feel but is also unnecessarily large. I'll probably just do these inexpensive mechanicals that imitate Cherry MX Blues until something noticeably better comes out.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i really hated mine at first but now im used to it dont mind it i wouldnt say im in love with it tho was free.

A lot of gaming keyboards come with MX Reds and to be honest, those don't feel that special. Linear switches in general don't have too much feel to them and IMO the "speed" switches are mostly bullshit. I much prefer anything that is tactile, currently own two 60% keyboards with Zealios and MX Browns and those simply feel nice to type on. Topre keyboards are however still unmatched when it comes to feel but the models available are more limited and you can't get cool looking replacement keycaps for them because most models are not compatible with MX keycaps.

I really love the smaller keyboards that are programmable. They are more comfortable because they take less space so you can have the mouse closer and keys that you rarely use (function keys, numpad etc) can be set behind Fn+numbers or something that is easy to reach with one hand even for combinations with modifiers (e.g. Alt+F4 would the Alt+Fn+4). You can also create any layout you please, for example I replace the caps lock with Control/Cmd and right side modifiers with arrow keys.

For comparison I have a 2016 Macbook Pro for work and the keys on that have so little travel that I make a lot more mistakes and get a lot more fatigue typing on that damned thing.

I bought into the mechanical keyboard hype a few years ago. I couldn't tell a difference compared to a brand new membrane keyboard.

What did work out is its durability. My mechanical keyboard is in its fourth year. While I am on my third MS Natural Keyboard at work in the same time. I'd say they get equal use in a week.

Membrane keys turn to mush, causing missed strokes & sometimes the feel is off and I end up double pressing. Gets old quick.

Which in turns means that the cheaper membrane keyboard has ended up costing more in the same period of time. My mechanical feel brand new still.

I would definitely recommend a mechanical if you normally replace a keyboard due to wear.

That "love" endek up with keyboard makers right joe charging fortune for a keyboard without even USB pass through port, media keys and such. All they add is fancy lightning that you won't even bother to change.

Had a few days with Roccat Suora. Not even a wrist rest, macro keys are placed upon the page up/down/insert key block, only fancy extra thing is a game mode switch that is supposed to block alt tab and Windows key. Oh and the RGB.

It is over 150 euro. Let it sink, a keyboard with basic functions, basic design and fancy lights for 150 euro - you could get 512 gb SSD for that.

But if people are willing to pay such prices, then why companies would not make those toys and price them accordingly. Mechanic keyboards are right now organic super foods of computers

That "love" endek up with keyboard makers right joe charging fortune for a keyboard without even USB pass through port, media keys and such. All they add is fancy lightning that you won't even bother to change.

Had a few days with Roccat Suora. Not even a wrist rest, macro keys are placed upon the page up/down/insert key block, only fancy extra thing is a game mode switch that is supposed to block alt tab and Windows key. Oh and the RGB.

It is over 150 euro. Let it sink, a keyboard with basic functions, basic design and fancy lights for 150 euro - you could get 512 gb SSD for that.

But if people are willing to pay such prices, then why companies would not make those toys and price them accordingly. Mechanic keyboards are right now organic super foods of computers

I would pay $200 for a professional looking keyboard that was well made, had Cherry MX Blue switches, metal housing, PBT key caps, 10-key, RBG back lighting, no bullshit macro keys, no media keys, no USB pass through, no game mode switch, no wrist wrest or any other crap I don't want added into the mix. There are some keyboards that get close. The afore-mentioned keyboard that was posted earlier is one I need to check out but I don't know anything about that brand's quality. The best keyboards on the market have no bullshit on them. If I didn't like the back lighting so much I'd feel as though I had tons of good options.

B003ELVLKU_K120_TOP_US.jpg

I just pick up a new one of these every six months or so for $12.

Spill something? A stuck key? Who cares, it's 12 bucks.

Works out GREAT.

Ever since I spilled stew all over my old original IBM model M keyboard, I vowed to never love a keyboard again..... I still miss it.

post-9089-0-59805300-1394532572.jpg

Back