What am I doing wrong? 3600 +3200 ram

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
The 2 benchmarks i wrote the scores down on are Final fantasy 14 and super position.

So I bought a new ryzen 3600 the other day and Installed 1x 8gb 2133 while waiting for my gskill 2x 8gb 3200 trident royal to come today. I ran a few benchmarks to see the difference the ram speed alone makes and now in scoring a bit lower in every benchmark. I doubled my ram and added 1k mhz and scoring lower?

specs:
5760x1080 144hz + 2560x1080 75hz
Gigabyte b450 wifi pro
2x 8gb ddr4 3200 trident royal
SSD's
Vega 56.

Last edited:
Depends on resolution for gaming ,I would not say you did something wrong per say.Check motherboard manual first put ram in correct slots and make sure dual channel is working.

Run CPUZ and make sure your ram is actually running at it's rated speed. Don't forget to enable XMP, DOCP, EOCP, etc, whatever it is your mobo calls it for the memory profile

Reactions: Dan
like this
You didn't really specify benchmark. But I can tell you from my own experience in testing these chips for 100+ hours now...more RAM speed can absolutely lower some benchmark scores. This is because faster RAM works the IMC harder and you additionally have a higher IF clock which often reduces your maximum boost clocks. For example, going from JEDEC (2666) to 3600 on my Hynix CJR will reduce my boost clocks by 100 MHz. You can work around this by enabling PBO (and depending on board, AOC offset), although you will still lose SC. Real world performance will be better with faster memory and higher IF.

Make sure your ram is actually running at 3200. On my x570 board I can also decouple the fabric.

I found that even If put in 36 multiplier on my main page CPUz showed 2100 speed. It was a second page in bios that had a hard lock on memory and fabric.

Much learning on these new chips indeed.

Yeah, no game, monitor, or OS matters, all of that info is in bios.

So dbl chk and make sure you are running the correct Memory timings. Or enable XMP wherever that is in your bios.

Back