what alternative do we have to watch CNBC, CNN via internet box instead of satellite?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm paying $100 / mth. on satellite. Is there any legitimate pay service via some internet box that gives real time CNN, CNBC just like the way you watch the satellite box?

Youtube TV has both of those. Something like $65 a month. My uncle uses it and likes it.

do you have it

and do they check your IP addr.

and if you are downloading from your PC, and watch youtube TV at the same time, how much would it slow down

Last edited:
do you have it

and do they check your IP addr.

I don't. I'm not a TV watcher. I'm assuming that they know what your IP is. I don't think he's ever tried it with a VPN or anything. There is a 2 week free trial, so you could always check it out and see if it works for you.

supposed I get a VPN. How much would that cost? and is that monthly or is there a way to get a 1 time fee?

also, since it support 6 acct., can we do it like netflex, share an acct. w/ a friend?

supposed I get a VPN. How much would that cost? and is that monthly or is there a way to get a 1 time fee?

also, since it support 6 acct., can we do it like netflex, share an acct. w/ a friend?

VPNs are their own discussion. Certain ones have better results with streaming services, etc. Some of them have a lifetime access fee. The better and faster ones are usually monthly with a 1-3 year savings if you pay up front.

It says that it supports 6 accounts and 3 streaming at a time. It seems like you could share it, but how that works, I couldn't tell you. But it does sound like you're a perfect candidate for the 2 week trial ;).

After trying all the major streaming TV services, it was clear to me that YTTV was the best. I've never had any trouble in the 13 months I've used the service. Prices have risen from $50 to $65 per month. I let my parents and little brother use 2 of my 6 accounts, so it's still quite a deal.

Why are you wanting to watch either of those garbage channels? Youtube TV is by far the best from everything I've tried. PlayStation Vue was my favorite before Sony discontinued it, but YTTV is a close second.

As for VPNs, get NordVPN. Works with every streaming service I've tried. I also get 90% or more of my raw download speed from the VPN, as long as I have NordLynx set in the preferences.

Why are you wanting to watch either of those garbage channels? Youtube TV is by far the best from everything I've tried. PlayStation Vue was my favorite before Sony discontinued it, but YTTV is a close second.

As for VPNs, get NordVPN. Works with every streaming service I've tried. I also get 90% or more of my raw download speed from the VPN, as long as I have NordLynx set in the preferences.
so say john doe is in Mexico, and has a NordVPN, can he watch USA version of Youtube TV? for that matter, does Youtube cares where you are? I mean, why would they care in the first place?

After trying all the major streaming TV services, it was clear to me that YTTV was the best. I've never had any trouble in the 13 months I've used the service. Prices have risen from $50 to $65 per month. I let my parents and little brother use 2 of my 6 accounts, so it's still quite a deal.
so Youtube would know the 2 or more acct. is coming from 2 or more different IP address. And they don't care? just like Netflix then?

so say john doe is in Mexico, and has a NordVPN, can he watch USA version of Youtube TV? for that matter, does Youtube cares where you are? I mean, why would they care in the first place?
Yes as long as you sign up and set your location in the US and keep connecting to that same city, theoretically.

so I just need to find someone to share an acct., that shouldn't be too hard as long as they are on the same time zone, to make things easier on recording shows. I'll do that 2 week trial first. The only problem is, once I register for a 2 wk. trial, I wonder if Youtube TV register my IP addr., if so, by the time I am on a share acct., then they could find out if the state I register w/ is different than the state on that share acct.

for those who have You tube TV. Is it true you need to buy a Roku box? or some interface box that connects from the internet RJ-45 to your TV.

for that matter, what's the most popular box for youtube TV, and if you want to cancel Youtube TV and switch to say Hulu, is there a box that supports all these platform?

if you have to buy a Roku box, doesn't Roku also have a competitive package just like Youttube TV? I mean, it doesn't make sense. Roku would offer their own package, and yet at the same time, has the means to allow a competitive network to sign up?

Last edited:
for those who have You tube TV. Is it true you need to buy a Roku box? or some interface box that connects from the internet RJ-45 to your TV.

for that matter, what's the most popular box for youtube TV, and if you want to cancel Youtube TV and switch to say Hulu, is there a box that supports all these platform?

if you have to buy a Roku box, doesn't Roku also have a competitive package just like Youttube TV? I mean, it doesn't make sense. Roku would offer their own package, and yet at the same time, has the means to allow a competitive network to sign up?
https://tv.youtube.com/learn/devices/

I just check Hulu, how on earth is their package at $5.99/mth.

https://www.hulu.com/welcome

I mean, who's going to pay for youtube TV when they are at 10% of the price?

P.S. does these place has 1-800 customer service or is it web based only

That’s not for TV, that’s for Hulu’s streaming service and it contains ads. Hulu’s TV service costs almost the same as YouTube TV.

Any streaming device like Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, PlayStation, etc works with YTTV.

5.99/month is NOT live television. Their live tv package is $65/mo or so. Basically the same price as youtube tv.

Go to their website on your phone and watch it there, or get an app which pulls it from there. It's usually free.

What about a regular tv antenna? $20 one time payment and you're good for life.

The absolute cheapest way is just get XM radio. They usually give it to me at 20 bucks a year or so, and i probably listen to more CNBC than i do watching.

going back to Roku, as I never use this box before, it says on their website that you need to create an acct.

So say I create an Roku acct., I then use Roku box to watch Youtube TV. And never watch or pay or have any ties to Roku programming. Roku will just let me do that? is it that simple? What if they said I never subscribe to any Roku program and disable the box?

going back to Roku, as I never use this box before, it says on their website that you need to create an acct.

So say I create an Roku acct., I then use Roku box to watch Youtube TV. And never watch or pay or have any ties to Roku programming. Roku will just let me do that? is it that simple? What if they said I never subscribe to any Roku program and disable the box?
We have Roku TVs and have never paid for Roku anything, we mainly use them for youtube, plex, disney+ etc.

you paid for that many outlets?

How much is Plex and Disney+? how do you have time to watch that many shows

you paid for that many outlets?

How much is Plex and Disney+? how do you have time to watch that many shows
Uhh. Plex was a one-time fee of $75 like 5 years ago because I wanted a Plex pass for hardware transcoding...
Disney+ is like $60 a year? We also pay for Netflix and Hulu because pirating everything for Plex just gets too time and hard drive consuming. I think it's still less than $50 a month, even paying for the ad-less higher tiers because fuck ads.

I watch shows in the background while I do other things. I don't even think I watch that much honestly.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-connect-roku-to-tv

does all the roku model has that RJ-45 at the back (see link)?
My Roku unit is built into the TV (TCL 4k tv) but it does have Ethernet 1GB and WiFi AC, for 4k streaming I suggest Ethernet.

Not sure about the other models or standalone models. We also use an Nvidia Shield for our main TV, but that's a considerable price increase and unless you already know you want the functions of that particular much higher power device it's probably not worth it for most users.

My Roku unit is built into the TV (TCL 4k tv) but it does have Ethernet 1GB and WiFi AC, for 4k streaming I suggest Ethernet.

Not sure about the other models or standalone models. We also use an Nvidia Shield for our main TV, but that's a considerable price increase and unless you already know you want the functions of that particular much higher power device it's probably not worth it for most users.
so far, I've found Roku Ultra, Roku Ultra LT, and Roku 3 that c/w RJ-45. But when I search under Roku w/ Ethernet input, all it says is Roku ULtra LT and Roku Ultra , so the list is incomplete

To cut to the chase, do you guys think I should buy the latest model, such as Roku Ultra or Ultra LT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265233987096?epid=3034695602&hash=item3dc12d7618:g:ih0AAOSwtQ5eidrn

or get 1 of those older model like Roku 2 XS or Roku 3.

my only concern is the older model could be incompatible w/ today's Youtube TV, Hulu interface standard

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The difference between the Ultra and the Ultra LT appears to be extremely minor (a USB port?) so I'd go for probably the Ultra LT. I find that skimping out on lower power boxes creates unnecessary headaches, especially when the total price difference is so minor. Especially if you're trying to play stuff at 4k HDR.
1627175263606.png

Definitely comes with an ethernet port.

The USB is probably necessary if you want to bring your own media library or sideload stuff, but if you don't care about that then save the $20.

I don't need that USB port, I actually have another HDMI port from my PC to my 60" LCD screen if I need to play a file to the TV. Thanks for the tip

The memory is just for running apps like you'd do on a PC, more memory, more apps you can have running. But Roku's menu setup is terrible. If you have Apple products, buy an Apple TV, if not, buy a Shield TV.

Back