What about using i3 laptop as htpc?

bexamous

[H]ard|Gawd
So quick problem: Bought GF a Boxee last year so she could watch netflix and stream stuff off my fileserver (movies & tvshows) in bed. She likes it but most of the movies I dl are 1080p and stutter too much on Boxee. In addition it locks up every couple days and is generally just slow.

So I was going to build her a HTPC this year and let her choose between running Boxee program on it (since thats what she knows), or use Media Browser or XBMC, whatever... she'd have her choice. I've been playing with all 3 on my computer and they all work great.

So all I need now is to get her the HTPC... I could just buy some stuff, but I was thinking why not get her a laptop that has hdmi out. It could sit there as htpc 90% of the time but when needed she could unplug it and use it as a laptop.

The one thing I'm concerned about is ended up with a laptop that isn't fast enough for whatever reason. If I end up not being able to play all possible video files smoothly than it wouldn't be much of an upgrade over her current boxee box.

So for example this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...21511-Index-_-LaptopsNotebooks-_-34215191-L0D

$450, 2.4ghz i3 cpu, GT520M GPU, enough ram, and hdmi out. This should play everything I could want right?

Is a discreet GPU even needed? What about maybe just a i5 cpu and intel GPU?

Thoughts?

Might be little bit noisy, but it should work. Not familiar with that graphics, but discrete graphics is not needed.

Intel HD2000 should be fast enough. Be aware that even with discrete GPU, if you get an Optimus laptop the HDMI output will be controlled via the Intel graphics and possibly suffer from the 24p output bug.

Hmm, good point. Well if I ditch the discreet gpu, and stick with HD2000... it can do 23.977hz right? That 1/2 way fix, just get a duped frame every 10 minutes or something. Hmm maybe I'll look this up more.

I have never noticed the bug...and I watch a good number of movies on my i3/HD2000 setup. IMO, that is a totally overstated issue.

I am also into the idea of using a laptop as HTPC. To me it sounds like the best thing. Please report your findings here, I will follow this thread.

Also, I have considered using an advanced TV with DLNA to stream movies to the TV, and skip a HTPC. How good does DLNA TVs work? Can they replace a HTPC yet?

I am also into the idea of using a laptop as HTPC. To me it sounds like the best thing. Please report your findings here, I will follow this thread.

Also, I have considered using an advanced TV with DLNA to stream movies to the TV, and skip a HTPC. How good does DLNA TVs work? Can they replace a HTPC yet?

Honeslty, I think this might become a new normal to enthusiasts w/ servers. Why?

1. Low Power
2. Compact
3. Built in wireless connectivity including BT
4. If issues, just pull out the laptop and plink away on the mouse keyboard
5. CHEAP ($400 or less) and a warranty

It depends on what you what your HTPC to do. If you simply want to navigate to a file on your server and play it, then the DLNA in your TV, receiver, or whatever is fine. If you want to have an attractive menu system with fanart, episode info, etc, then an HTPC with back/front end software is better.

As for the laptop, I have tried it. Again, it works, it's a simple solution that will work great for some. Because the case is so small, however, the fan can get ramped up and the result can be fan noise during playback (not due to the cpu, but the gpu). Also, because of the screen, the laptop really takes up more room than people realize. The real size of the laptop includes the base of the laptop and the volume of space that the screen moves through when going from closed to in viewing position (screen up). That's a good bit more volume than your standard smallish HTPC case. There are lots of low-cost, small-factor PCs out there, too.

For me, I want full gigabit networking, so the wireless is moot.

I'm currently running an i5 Asus laptop (Intel graphics) as my HTPC and it works just like you'd expect it to. I've no real problem with image quality (just have a 720p screen and I'm not really a videophile) and the sound is acceptable even being stereo.

The one area this really falls down is the extra noise from the motherboard or, more specifically in my case, the charger circuits. There's constant hissing and popping over the speakers when the computer is on - in this case, almost alleviated when I just run the laptop on battery. It gets worse when a front end is run (SageTV and MediaPortal - I suspect they're doing something to amp the volume when started but I haven't had a whole lot of time to track it; WMC is a little better).

Too, it might be my setup. Wires go from the laptop to the TV to the speakers so I may be introducing a ground loop or something, though it didn't happen with a previous computer plugged in the same way or the Wii.

So system board noise might be something to take into consideration. I'd be interested to know if others have run into the same thing.

Set your laptop to do nothing when you close the lid then it is just the closed laptop. Should work with most laptops, works with mine. Then you can slip it right under the TV.

Using a laptop is decent and gives you added options you can just pick it up and use it. I think the main reason people do not use laptops is 1 noise and 2 most people use old parts for HTPCs so in years to come that may be laptops but for now it is still mostly older desktops. If you are going to go with a laptop I suggest you think about picking one up with a touch screen then keep it near the couch running the HDMI cable under a rug or something might be a nice feature. Otherwise you want to look for good remote input.

I'm currently running an i5 Asus laptop (Intel graphics) as my HTPC and it works just like you'd expect it to. I've no real problem with image quality (just have a 720p screen and I'm not really a videophile) and the sound is acceptable even being stereo.

The one area this really falls down is the extra noise from the motherboard or, more specifically in my case, the charger circuits. There's constant hissing and popping over the speakers when the computer is on - in this case, almost alleviated when I just run the laptop on battery. It gets worse when a front end is run (SageTV and MediaPortal - I suspect they're doing something to amp the volume when started but I haven't had a whole lot of time to track it; WMC is a little better).

Too, it might be my setup. Wires go from the laptop to the TV to the speakers so I may be introducing a ground loop or something, though it didn't happen with a previous computer plugged in the same way or the Wii.

So system board noise might be something to take into consideration. I'd be interested to know if others have run into the same thing.

I have a Sony Viao F series laptop with an HDMI out port. I have not noticed the interference problem you mention when using an HDMI cable either to a receiver or into the TV directly, so it sounds 'unique to you' from my experience. I happened to be updating a component in my one of my HT systems last week and noticed that when I turned by Fenix L2D flash light on while behind the system (powered by an Onyko AV receiver) I could hear this high-pitched whine. Whenever I would turn it off, the whine would stop. So, what you describe certainly is within the realm of possibility (obviously you know this!). Just confirming.

System board noise is common with any electronic component so analog out with onboard sound could have that, but if you are sending the audio over HDMI then you should not have any as that is a digital signal. It could be something later than the computer though.

System board noise is common with any electronic component so analog out with onboard sound could have that, but if you are sending the audio over HDMI then you should not have any as that is a digital signal. It could be something later than the computer though.
I'm starting to wonder that, especially with the replies here. Time off for the holidays means I can (hopefully) track stuff down.

It's an analog connection but I've been looking for an excuse to go HDMI.

Another BIG issue with laptops is crappy HDD's - especially for a HTPC you might find issue with the 5400rpm hard drive if you decide later to do recording streams.

If anything get a better 7200rpm HDD & also invest in one of these tuners. http://www.silicondust.com/

WE do this along with the BASIC BASIC $14 comcast cable. It's really nice with WMC.

What is the problem with 5400 rpm disks? If I want to playback bluray those would suffice well? Or?

Like i posted on another thread, it's all about repurposing... if you ever decide to get something like the silicondust recorders a 5400 rpm HDD is going to have a harder time with 2 recordings and a playback than a 5400 rpm will.

But if ALL you are doing is Blu-ray playback & occasional netflix streaming, you are right who cares. My feeling is, is if you are going to spend money, spend it right on something that wont be worthless in 6mo to a year.

Most of my HTPC parts I have been able to re-purpose years later.

Like i posted on another thread, it's all about repurposing... if you ever decide to get something like the silicondust recorders a 5400 rpm HDD is going to have a harder time with 2 recordings and a playback than a 5400 rpm will.

Do you have any real data to support this claim? I assume you meant to compare to 7200rpm drives. I'm just interested in knowing real applications that 5400 rpm drives can't handle. I've tried playing more than one BD from 5400 rpm drives and of far it has worked. The 5400 rpm drives just use less power too, which is important for a system that is on a lot (they are set to sleep too).

Back