What a deal

TheOne&OnlyZeke

100% Irish
Well I''ve always wanted a MacBook or MacBook Pro, but to be honest I always swore I'd never shell out the money they want for them (they are far too overpriced IMO)

So I get a call from a buddy of mine last week.
His late 2007 MBP gave up the ghost and he asked me did I want to buy it for spare parts. He wanted 150 for it, but I offered him 100 and he accepted.
I knew I wouldn't lose money on it, even if I sold it for parts myself, so no risk involved.

Well I looked up the specs and noticed it was a late 2007 model with the nvidia 8600 GPU. These GPU's are notorious for failing in everythting they were put in (quick google search will show you what I mean)

So I took it apart and gave the board to a friend who works in electronics (company makes chips for phones etc)

he ran the GPU under their IR lamp. I rebuilt the MBP and what do you know. It booted fine :)
Now I know this can fail again, but as my buddy has proven many times. Any board with this GPU, that can be recovered once, can be recovered again many times.

So after I added in some spare RAM I had and a spare HDD, I now have a pretty fast MBP for the princely sum of 100 :) (battery is shot though)

Specs
2.2C2D
6GB DDR2
500gb 7,200rpm HDD

Not bad eh!

Cliffs:

1.Bought broken MBP
2.Dodgy fix
3.Working MBP
4.Profit....

Ehh, $100 is a pretty fair price for that. A 2.2 C2D is pretttty dated at this point.

Ehh, $100 is a pretty fair price for that. A 2.2 C2D is pretttty dated at this point.

Thats euros.
If i sold it as broken i would have at least gotten 200-250
If I sold it now with a bust battery i'd get 350
If i replace the battery, about 450
:)

sell it and buy a c2d mbp
then sell that and buy an i5 mbp

in about a month you'll have last year's model for around 300-400 out of pocket

Back