What 360 games?

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
I am seriously considering buying a 360 in the very near future, but I'm not sure what games to get. One game that I absolutely must have is GRAW, and I am considering PD0 but I'm not sure.

I also wanted to get NCAA 07 but I'm hearing a lot of crap about it that's really turning me off. I'm pretty open to different genres so lay them on me.

Kameo (only downside is its about 9 hours long) - but has Co-Op online play.
PGR3
COD2
Dead or Alive 4
Chromehounds (shines on Live)

Dead Rising (trust me, buy this game with it comes out. I played it at E3.. .so much fun)

PD0 was one of the biggest disappointments i've seen in a while. The graphics are really bad, and the long distance in between save points will drive you crazy on some levels. However, the multiplayer makes it worthwhile as it's very fun.

PGR3 is dated and old, but still worthwhile. Test Drive Unlimited might be promising, considering that it will be released at a $40 price tag(bless you Atari!!!)

Condemned is old, but awesome if you like ruining a perfectly good set of pants and underwear.

Kameo is another surprise hit as I was amazed by it. 9 hours of gameplay is actually pretty long these days, and the coop makes it worthwhile. Don't think this is some kiddie game because it's more than that.

I think Dead Rising will be a must assuming that the final shipping version features the unlimited time mode that has been talked about in a preview on Teamxbox. If the unlimited time mode doesn't ship in the final release version, then this will be one awefully short game since it's 72 hours long, but each hour is 5 minutes of gameplay according to IGN.

Be warned GRAW has no quick save...... ( as in no save in the middle of missions just check points) with the way that game played it drove me insane

its too bad, if it did i would think very highly of it

I'm not too big a fan of GRAW. Something about putting a big circle over an enemy and having the game auto-aim within it seems pretty pathetic. Killing enemies in that game isn't about skill, it's about the luck of your soldier hitting his mark in enough bullets. I really wanted to like it, but that aspect is just silly. It makes it too easy for anyone to look good, and the pro to look like he never improves. Oh well.

On the other hand, I'm a big fan of PDZ. True, it could use some more polish, but it's a shooting experience that isn't like anything else, save for the original. I can definitely see how some may not like it, but remember that it's not like Halo or Half-Life. To say the save points (by which I assume you mean the checkpoints) are few and far between shows that you really don't know what Rare was going for. I suppose I'd have to say it's an 'arcade' shooter. It's not one big game, instead it's a series of completely seperate missions with some light storyline. This isn't about realism or simulation, it's about just making the game fun, and Rare said so in development. They're specifically not trying to emulate Halo, etc..

With that said, if you don't enjoy the game knowing where its strengths lie, then I completely understand. I just don't want PDZ to be called a 'big dissappointment' when it's actually being missunderstood.

Regardless, Burnout Revenge is another great choice, and pretty cheap these days. And I also have to recommend Dead or Alive 4. Its fighting engine has been tweaked to near perfection, and it features a lot of characters and suits to unlock, in addition to great online multiplayer. And it's a great way to show off that new HD TV. :p

Oh, and Oblivion is always a good choice. ;)

Have fun!

I wouldn't be put off by the NCAA critics. It's an EA Sports game and it doesn't matter what it is, it is crap or junk or 'I want my money back' by half the people that post. I've played maybe 7 or 8 complete games and it is very enjoyable. It is the most accurate sim of a sport I've ever played....console or PC. Not perfect (presentation flair is somewhat missing) but it's about as good as it gets.

PGR3 is very good. Graphics can be amazing. I also like Kameo though I'm not much of a puzzle person.

Molingrad said:
Be warned GRAW has no quick save...... ( as in no save in the middle of missions just check points) with the way that game played it drove me insane

its too bad, if it did i would think very highly of it

That's one of the reasons why I quickly lost interest in GRAW. They also made the game too kiddie friendly to the point where you sometimes don't even know if you've shot the other people. When you shoot someone, you need some indication that they've been shot other than the little percentage meter above them. It also didn't help that I am a mostly run and gun type FPS person.

I noticed the thread about the deal from overstock. It looks like they're out of stock for now . . . should I stick around to see if it comes back or just jump the gun and buy one at Target or something.

I think Dead Rising will be a must assuming that the final shipping version features the unlimited time mode that has been talked about in a preview on Teamxbox. If the unlimited time mode doesn't ship in the final release version, then this will be one awefully short game since it's 72 hours long, but each hour is 5 minutes of gameplay according to IGN.

heh thats pretty funny, it comes to 360 minutes, coincidence!? maybe! but thats still 6 hours of smacking around zombies, plus you will probably have to beat that first before you get the unlimited option.

I bought Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and it came with a free year of Xbox live on one of the old school subscription cards. Will that get me a year on the 360 or do I need to buy one of those gold cards?

No, that card is a gold account. Have fun ;)
OT: PGR3, PDZ, Oblivion, and some GRAW will fit the bill.

Trimlock said:
heh thats pretty funny, it comes to 360 minutes, coincidence!? maybe! but thats still 6 hours of smacking around zombies, plus you will probably have to beat that first before you get the unlimited option.

Ya know, you are the first person to realize that as that didn't even occur to me :)

I guess 360 minutes of gameplay in Dead Rising must have been Microsoft's idea. All I say is we better get an unlimited time mode after beating it the first time around. It sounds like there are way more side quests than there is time.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Hitman Blood Money. That game had me hooked from beginning to end. You can finish every level anywhere from 2-5 different ways!!! It's one of my favorite 360 games, along with Fight Night Round 3, Tony Hawk and a few others. I'm really waiting around for Halo 3, Rainbow Six Vegas, Gears of War and the new Splinter Cell.

If you don't have a worthwhile pc, i would definatly recommend oblivion. Also Kameo can be had for $20 new at circuit city this week. Graw was good, but it is easy to lose interest in because it can get semi repetitive if your not paying attention to the story. Fight Night 3 is a great sports game, but it kind of gets annoying with the amount of adds they put in. Mulitplayer for that is great.

Whoever said PGR 3 is old and dated needs to get his head checked. Forza, and Gran Turismo 4 are old and dated (Not saying they suck, because they are really good). Not only are the graphics and game still good to this date, they also have newer cars you can download too, plus also online tournaments and stuff like that to keep you busy. TD:U looks great, but it should be compared to NFS, and not PGR, since PGR is more semi arcade as opposed to full arcade like TDU.

Also, try the demo out for Ridge Racer 6. I would recommend it to you, but that's only because I'm a hardcore Ridge Racer fan. Ridge Racer 6, COD2, DoA4, and Burnout Revenge are the only games on 360 that play at 60 fps, and I don't know about you, but I like 60fps.

COD2 for the singleplayer (but the multipalyer on PC is better)

PD0 is AWESOME online though. :)

PGR3 nice graphics, but it's not even 720p, so the jaggies are horrible. It is upscaled from a lower resolution to "720p," hence all of the jaggies are the cars.

six_storm said:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Hitman Blood Money. That game had me hooked from beginning to end. You can finish every level anywhere from 2-5 different ways!!! It's one of my favorite 360 games, along with Fight Night Round 3, Tony Hawk and a few others. I'm really waiting around for Halo 3, Rainbow Six Vegas, Gears of War and the new Splinter Cell.

Hitman is another really good game. I am a run and gun type FPS person, but this game had me pleasantly surprised. My only complaint is that the audio wasn't as well done as it could be, and the graphics are a bit dated looking. With this game, you can complete a mission however you wish. You can run and gun your way through the objectives, or use stealth in a fun way.

Mr. Kelotron, you misinterpreted what I said. When I said the PGR was old and dated, I meant that it was an old title as it was a launch day title. PGR3 has been talked about, opinionated on, and reviewed so much that it really feels old and dated. However, I agree that it's clearly one of the best looking games on the market right now. I guess I could have worded it a little different. Once you play games that run at 60fps, it's so hard to go back to games that run slower than that. The fluidity of the motion in games like RR6 and DOA4 is amazing.

I gotta give a vote to fight night round 3. I haven't played single player or on live, but beating the piss out of your friends is tons of fun :p

prtzlboy said:
I gotta give a vote to fight night round 3. I haven't played single player or on live, but beating the piss out of your friends is tons of fun :p

plus is looks fucking awsome....

I can't believe people are bagging on GRAW. It's one of the best console games ever made, period. Do people call the Mona Lisa "boring" because it's just a picture of an average-looking woman?

Oblivion is another must-have, if you didn't already get it for PC. It plays very nicely on the 360, and will easily kill 150-300 hours of your leisure time. :)

With those out of the way, we get to "personal taste". I love Dead or Alive 4. It has high difficulty, but also has a deep, complex combat system that rewards experience and timing. It's not quite Virtua Fighter, but it's certainly pretty solid.

I am split on PGR 3. On one hand, it's a great, semi-serious racer that's lots of fun. On the other, it's almost certainly going to be completely superceded by Forza Motorsport 2 in a few months. Personally, I would get Burnout: Revenge instead, and then pick up Forza 2 later on.

PD0 is good, not great, mostly because of its uneven graphics. The city levels look positively terrible. The outdoor levels are beautiful. Gameplay is fun, though, so it might be worth it at $20.

There are also some nice offerings on Xbox Live Arcade, such as Uno, Outpost Kaloki X, Cloning Clyde, and Geometry Wars.

-Erwos

Kameo
GRAW
Condemned (best single player on the 360 so far)
PGR3
Prey unless on PC
arcade: marble blast ultra
XBL is definately the selling point of the 360, GRAW MP is a blast on-line with friends.

I won't slam GRAW, I just can't play a shooter on a console anymore. CS:S with a kb and mouse is unbeatable in my book.

I am currently enjoying Fight Night, Tiger Woods (well worth $40), PGR3 (although I would consider waiting until Test Drive Unlimited came out), and NCAA 07.

I know its missing that "stud on campus mode" or whatever from the ps2 version, but I personally have really enjoyed NCAA. Last year's Madden on the other hand is truly atrocious......

Need for Speed: Most Wanted - I prefer racers on a console, but also on PC so you might have it
Kameo
Prey - Short but fun shooter, hopefully they iron out the online bugs
Ridge Racer 6 - arcade racer, but fun online. Fairly lengthy game as well to complete single player. Graphics are good, but not much of a step up from 5.
Farcry instincts - not bad single player, but lots of fun multiplayer.
Oblivion - kiss 150+ hours goodbye
Fight Night: round 3

upcoming:
Gears of War
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Ninety-nine nights
Dead Rising
Superman Returns
Phantasy Star Universe
NFS: Carbon

Why doesn't fight night round three dominate this list and make EVERYONE's choice.

I'm not a sport games nut, in fact I normally hate them, but this game is AWESOME!

There's a reason it's the OXM's first '10' game ever!

Also - Kameo is a lot of fun. I bought it at launch - - - played it through,----thought it was great!!!!! - sold it thinking I wouldn't play it again since it's an adventure game and not a whole lot of replayability --- but am considering buying it again because it was so good as to warrant a second time through now 8 months later.

Back