WHAT 32INCH MONITOR??? Don't wanna return any more

The xbr6 and a550 aren't garbage because of matte screens, they are garbage because they are mediocre s-pva panels that the companies are trying to pass off as high end and sell them at a premium. The a650 panel is much better.

I don't see anything outstanding spec wise about that monitor, says 15,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. The Sony xbr6 I had for a few days claimed 25,000:1 and it was rather sucky in black level.

The spec sheet for that monitor: http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv|audio|video_lcd flat panel__32LG70.jhtml

Says 178degree viewing angle so possibly IPS. It may be the same IPS panel thats in the Panasonic LZ800.

If it's not an IPS, it's definitely not good. I consider VA panels worse than TN panels due to horrible input lag.

Theres a review of a larger version of that LG, they say crappy blacks: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-47lg60/4505-6482_7-32891601.html

I'm talking about the LG70 series, not the LG60 series

get the LN32A650, u WILL like the superior contrast and the clarity because of the ultra clear panel screen and 5ms response time beats sony and sharp

The xbr6 and a550 aren't garbage because of matte screens, they are garbage because they are mediocre s-pva panels that the companies are trying to pass off as high end and sell them at a premium. The a650 panel is much better.

For the 32", the a550 and a650 both are 5ms, 15,000 to 1, panels...

But the a650 has the high end screen coating. Which makes a dramatic difference...

(Heck...that screen coating makes the a650 look better than the new Panasonic plasma in a well lit room. Though the plasma would presumably clobber the LCD in a darkened room...)

Nenu said:
I gave up up on the smaller HDTVs, they get stuck with older tech unlike the bigger sets.
Because the bigger LCDs are so good, they are stiff competition for Plasmas and some Plasmas are damn cheap now!

A new Plasma series has been released by Panasonic at extremely good prices.
I have the 42" 1080p TH-42PZ80B and its the best money I have spent in a long time, incredible picture.
Basic stats:
30,000:1 static contrast ratio
1080p via HDMI
Supports Deep Colour 16bit per channel http://www.hometheatermag.com/gearworks/207gear/ (not needed yet but its coming)
100,000 hour half life
You can get them for £760 in the UK, no doubt cheaper in the US.

Read up about the first 100, 200 and 1,000 hour burn in periods before using one.
I'm about 150hrs into mine and have suffered no ill effects using the PC for browsing (in Eco mode at 1/3 brightness and contrast).
All games, TV and movies are played fullpower with no issue.

It doesnt get much better than this

Yeah I've got the a 46" Panasonic PZ85U, kick ass TV. Just not for PC use unless it's very casual unfortunately. The start menu icons and a bunch of other static images make dedicated PC use a bad thing on plasmas. It's really too bad, after seeing the [H] on it I was instantly reminded of my old CRT (in a good way) with the benefits of an LCD (sharp text, perfect geometry bright). I've seen a lot of LCD monitors and none of them can touch it, including the highly touted expensive NECs. Of couse a computer monitor will usually do colors better so photo editors look elsewhere, size also starts at 42" for any good set so if you want something small look at elsewhere.

I looked at a 42" PZ80u panasonic plasma then decided I didn't want to look at orange people all day.

I'd take the orange tinted glasses off :)
Why do you think it makes people look orange?

I have the 42" PZ80B set and I am amazed how lifelike all the colours are, especially facial tones.
The colours on this set are nothing short of stunning.

I looked at a 50pz80u display in sears, I swear I think the cheaper 720p one looked better. Seemed like way less random noise on the screen. My overall feeling of looking at the plasma made me think like I was looking at a picture in fogginess. The 85u is probably better because it only uses a single pane glass or something like that instead of the way 80u does it.

I looked at a 50pz80u display in sears, I swear I think the cheaper 720p one looked better. Seemed like way less random noise on the screen. My overall feeling of looking at the plasma made me think like I was looking at a picture in fogginess. The 85u is probably better because it only uses a single pane glass or something like that instead of the way 80u does it.

I see.
I'm not sure my set is the same as the PZ80U (mine is PZ80B) but I suspect the TV was set up badly or had a fault as the Panasonic Plasmas are not known to exhibit that behavior.
I can see no trace of what you saw on my set.
It might be worth your while having another look to confirm.

The newer plasma have an anti glare coating which really cuts down on the image clarity imo. I've seen the Panasonics with and without the AG side by side and you can definitely notice a brown haze on one of them. I have the 60 series and it is glossy which I prefer.

The newer plasma have an anti glare coating which really cuts down on the image clarity imo. I've seen the Panasonics with and without the AG side by side and you can definitely notice a brown haze on one of them. I have the 60 series and it is glossy which I prefer.

The brownish screen of the plasma was why the a650 LCD looked better in a brightly lit room when I saw them side by side.

(However, if one set looks a lot sharper than another one, I'd also check that both TVs are set to their respective 1:1 pixel mapping modes. If one set is, but the other TV is overscanning, the overscanned LCD will look blurry in comparison. And overscan mode is the default on some sets...)

Try and check out the PZ80B/85B series, they are this years 1080p models, launched in March and dont have the brown anti glare.
The screen has a clear glass cover only.

Back