What 1 game would you get if you could only choose one?

Torgo said:
I've noticed a few people choosing games for the mods available for it. Does this really count? Should the mods be counted as a second game, or as part of the attractiveness? It really factors into my decision.

In theory you'd have to say no to mods and patches...because you can't mod a console game or patch it the same way you can a pc game. I like D2 1.10 patch but if D2 came out for PS1 years ago, it would still be the original game and not a patched upgrade version. Not to mention like someone said, Half life or Counterstrike adds thousands of mods so you could be playing many games in one.

compslckr said:
i was going to say the exact same thing!!!111

almost everyone has couterstrike, and it is by far the most popular multi player game ever

Solitare online is more popular.
;)

Civilization 2. Nothing against Civ 3, it's a great game, but I have memories of hours of armchair strategy sessions, trying to find the best way to defeat the Zulus.

I used to think I was a 'gamer' by playing CS for 4 years, along with with UT series, Quake series, Blizzard games .. etc ... What I've come to realize is that MMORPGs are the future.

Counter-Strike was a great game... WAS.

I cannot stop playing City of Heroes for the life of me. In 12 years of gaming, never has one game consumed my life as much as this one. Hands down the best all around game I've ever played.

Playing on a server of 5-40 people just seems like driving a Pinto.

i cant believe no one has said it yet, Unreal. I bought the game as soon as it came out. I played it all the way to the end. To this day, I have not found another game that got me into the mindset that I was actually there. Yeah the graphics dont seem as nice as they did back then, but damn, that was such an Awesome game. Im still waiting on another FPS to hold me like that one. Maybe HL2 or D3?

I'll second NFS:pU, but I also really like SOF2. I'm still playing that after a few years now...

If I could have Counterstrike sans cheating, I'd choose that. Of course, that will never happen because every twelve year-old and their younger brother has a cheat running.

Either Half-Life or Call of Duty, assuming that multiplay is an option. Otherwise probably Red Alert, the original.

If I had a 'net connection, I'd take Tribes (the original, not T2). Without a net connection, I'd probably go with Thief or Thief 2, but I would have to have all the user created maps for it to be worth it. If I can't have the community created content, then I'd probably take Diablo II. Even with that, though, it isn't worth playing without the expansion, and if I'm getting the expansion, I might as well get the 1.10 patch as well; I've been playing a naked Druid lately, and that's a bundle of fun.

RagManX

Unit-0 said:
I know it's a bit too soon to know for sure, but I'd pick Everquest 2. The technology is new generation for a MMORPG and when you think about it, the game is going to last me at least 5 years since Everquest 1 kept me playing for 5 years.

Word.

Evercrack, or Evermorecrack 2.

if i could only choose one ? ...ONE ?

i too think pre-tram UO_ baja.
moan and groan all you want, it was epic then. :)

Medieval: Total War w/ Viking Invasion expansion!
spent thousands of hours...literally..on that game

ask me in 6 months?......prolly Rome: Total War

Btw: first post though long time reader :)

Knights of the Old Republic!
There is no question in my mind. It is the best game I have ever played on either the Xbox or PC (I've played both versions). It's simply one of the most enjoyable RPG experiences I've had since the first time I played the original Deus Ex. :D

Ninja Gaiden on XBOX, i played that game for a week straight without turning off my xbox.

if something happened to that game, then i would have Soul Calibur 2 as a back up.

compslckr said:
i was going to say the exact same thing!!!111

almost everyone has couterstrike, and it is by far the most popular multi player game ever

Correct me if I'm wrong but CS is NOT the most popular multiplayer game ever. Yes, it maybe the biggest FPS MP game ever but you must never forget the heavyweight that is SC. Strange though, both have a S and C just switched. Conspiracy? :p

Anyway, my game would be a MMO most likely, but it hasn't come out yet. Actually maybe EQ when it FIRST started where EVERYONE was level one and people were still figuring out how to get higher.

Diablo 2 with the expansion pack Lord of Destruction. I used to play that game for hours everyday.

Duke Nukem Forever.

Games today are too politically correct and devoid of humor. What this industry needs is Duke :(

Ultima Online
between after T2A and before tram/fel split.
EDIT after reading the thread, I have to add "on Baja" :D
Least Im not alone :)

Unreal Tournament (1999). Especially since it includes an editor which I just happen to be handy with, and all the "nuts and bolts" stuff that came with the original Unreal. I can make my own maps, my own SP levels, even my own game. (The last option is likely only if trapped on the proverbial desert island with a PC and a source of electricity and nothing better to do.)

Final Fantasy VII, I must have played that game all the way though at least 9 times. I love that game.

single-player - Morrowind - huge landmass, thousands of mods, will never finish it
multi-player - Return to Castle Wolfenstein - best teamplay I ever experienced

Personally, I would have to go with Neverwinter Nights. I am a DnD freak, and I just really enjoy all the community-made modules for it.

I would say a coin flip between Rome: Total War or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I love strategy games and I'm very curious about STALKER because it might have an excellent chance of stealing the fps lime light away from Doom3 and the ever revamped HL2. I would love to see that happen....but who knows!!

If I get the game and it's mods, the choice is easy :) If not, I'd have to go with Baldur's Gate 2, although Diablo 2 is a very close second. I think I spent more time playing D2 (it stole my freshman year of college), but BG2 was all-around a better game.

Alpha Centauri.

Best turn based strategy game ever in terms of pure depth and balance. I'll still be playing that game in 15 years.

Back