WH40K: Space Marine confirmed for PC

{EB}NuTSymPToM{EB}

[H]ard|Gawd
Just saw this link at 1up.

I'm a big fan of the Dawn of War series and I was horribly disappointed to find out that this was going to be a console only game. This game was one of the reasons I almost picked up a console...very glad I chose the 5850 now :D

I trust Relic to handle the PC release with minimal consolitis. I know that's dangerously optimistic of me, but I can't help it.

I have a PS3 so was pumped for the game already. However it coming out on the PC is just awesome.

There's been plenty of gameplay videos but not much in the way of actual game details. Any word if they'll be showing more of the game before release? They say early 2011 release so I think GamesCom is the only possibility.

Please please please let this be Dawn of War 2 meets Gears of War meets Left4Dead ie:
1) RPG elements (skill points, gear) and aesthetics of Dawn of War 2
2) 3rd person camera and some combat mechanics from Gears of War
3) 4 PLAYER CO-OP a la Left4Dead (versus mode with player controlled Orkz?!?!)

Relic makes excellent PC games, and this is great news. Hopefully it turns out better than Fire Warrior.

I really enjoyed the DoW 2 games and turned me onto the WH40K setting, I am definitely going to keep on eye on this. Relic has been making some fine PC titles.

*tiny voice* Please don't screw it up. Please don't screw it up. Please don't screw it up.

Would have bought the 360 version but will instead pick up the PC version now. I sat in a private screening for this at Ee 09 and 2010 and it was the best game on the show floor (IMO).

You guys are going to be pleased. Its WH40K+3rd Person Action+Diablo style loot tables+4 Player Co Op

Would have bought the 360 version but will instead pick up the PC version now. I sat in a private screening for this at Ee 09 and 2010 and it was the best game on the show floor (IMO).

You guys are going to be pleased. Its WH40K+3rd Person Action+Diablo style loot tables+4 Player Co Op

Sounds like I will need to buy this.

I wonder how the melee fighting element will be, I feel this is an important part of W40k, but I also can't really recall a fps type game where its done very well.

I wonder how the melee fighting element will be, I feel this is an important part of W40k, but I also can't really recall a fps type game where its done very well.

Its not FPS, its a third person shooter, like Gears of War.

I heard from a few people the alpha is extremely laggy and full of crashes. Obviously.. its an alpha. Just wondering if anyone feels that way?

I'm going to need a towel.

There's been plenty of gameplay videos but not much in the way of actual game details. Any word if they'll be showing more of the game before release? They say early 2011 release so I think GamesCom is the only possibility.

Please please please let this be Dawn of War 2 meets Gears of War meets Left4Dead ie:
1) RPG elements (skill points, gear) and aesthetics of Dawn of War 2
2) 3rd person camera and some combat mechanics from Gears of War
3) 4 PLAYER CO-OP a la Left4Dead (versus mode with player controlled Orkz?!?!)

Co-op would make it more appealing. If it doesn't have that I don't see myself buying a 3rd person shooter.

My only problem (somewhat) with the premise with this game is that it is "space marine." Granted there is obvious fluff reasons and popularity reasons why it is always space marines, but with DOW 2/Exp also being space marines, could we maybe have some future expansion go with a different race for variety?

No worries, but it is a valid concern. In Relic we trust!

Yes hopefully the melee fighting is more then just strafing while swinging, which seems to be the basis for every game I can think of. Though I wonder if games were to incorporate 3D, and due to the added depth perception if that would make things better (since you could gauge distance more). I can only dream that a fight would be like the CG movies shown in DOW, imagine parrying a strike with your power sword then bringing up your bolt pistol and shooting your opponent in the face.

I really enjoyed the DoW 2 games and turned me onto the WH40K setting, I am definitely going to keep on eye on this. Relic has been making some fine PC titles.

Have you read any of the books from the series? I've been reading the Horus Heresy books and it has me hooked like few book series can (waiting for the latest one to ship in right now). The 40k world was completely changed for me when I started reading those.

The game will not have a cover system, apparently so that melee combat can take as big of an emphasis as the shooting.

I take this as a good sign in that it won't be a Gears of War clone with the 40K universe.

Yea...just read the preview up on Gamespot.

It sounds awesome but they didn't touch on multiplayer at all and did not confirm any coop details. I'm going to get this regardless, but I'd really love to see this ship with 4 player coop campaign and a survival mode at least. I'm not sure how they could do competitive multiplayer, but this certainly lends itself very well to coop, especially based on some of the previous videos.

Im so stoked for this game on PC now... even if its a bad port. I just want the warhammer 40k universe in fps mode.

The Shacknews preview did say the menu showed "Multiplayer" and "Coop" selections but they didn't talk about it, other than that it was the same preview as Gamespot more-or-less.

I'm really liking how they're tailoring set-pieces for specific weapons. That way you get to play with all the cool toys without winding up with the wrong tool for the job.

Have you read any of the books from the series? I've been reading the Horus Heresy books and it has me hooked like few book series can (waiting for the latest one to ship in right now). The 40k world was completely changed for me when I started reading those.

No but I will put them on my list! I remember seeing them at stores but had no clue if they would be any good.

Yes, definitely read ALL the Horus Heresy series. There are tons of other good ones too, most especially the Gaunt's Ghosts.

/continue threadjack

You poor, poor wretch. The first three Heresy books are worth bumping up to the top of your reading queue. Now.

/end threadjack

Kotaku has a writeup as well.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is due for release sometime in THQ's fiscal year 2012, meaning it should be out before March of 2012.

Awwww....fething gits. This is going to be one of those games that draws out the tease.

Last edited:
Shacknews confirmed with THQ that Space Marine will use Steamworks instead of GFWL :D

I don't have a huge problem with GFWL, but I definitely prefer Steamworks.

Back