Wgat mobo to get for 1700

SvenBent

2[H]4U
I have not been following the mobo devrlopment on the AMD ryzen side due to all the bios/memory issues so i wanted the paltform to mature a bit to really get into it.
Now its time to upgrade my system and I sm looking for input on which motherboard to get.

- ATX sized
- Overclocking potential
- M2 for later upgraded
- onboard sounds card and at least 1x 1gbit nic. (2 might be nice though but not for extracvost)
- Price friendly

But otherwise i don't have a lot of requirements.(no LEDs or other weird bell and whistles are needed)

I am also looking to what RAM to get. Again im not shy for overclocking/timings tweaking, but i need it to be price/performance oriented.
i will start with 2x8gb of ram and add in more later

Prime95/Linpack/memtest86 stability is an absolute must.

Msi, asrock are the best option then asus. I can't really comment about gigabyte since I haven't paid attention to their offerings. I'm partial to the asrock taichi, I've had no issues with it. Feature wise they're all pretty close to each other. For ram look at the amd specific lpx or flarex ram anything else is a gamble. Stay away from ripjaw V cl16 ram unless you get the ddr4 3000 version.

Last edited:
if you want to keep things on a tight budget, then I would highly recommend MSI B350 Tomahawk solid board, great price, lot of features.

Isn't MSI usually a bit weak on their VRM and power delivery design? I don't mean insufficient, but when it comes to overclocking, is behind some of their competitors.

Isn't MSI usually a bit weak on their VRM and power delivery design? I don't mean insufficient, but when it comes to overclocking, is behind some of their competitors.

overclocking ryzen depend mostly on luck of the draw with each CPU than the motherboard itself.. ryzens 7 tend to clock mostly the same with an average of 3.8 - 3.9ghz even with low end motherboards so when looking for mobos it's more searching for features and specific hardware build.

I think only the years will be able to show how really the power delivery circuitry can affect ryzen and motherboard longevity, they are so young to have enough data yet.

Gigabyte's Aorus gaming K7 and 5 are good boards, at least according to those who have used them on the Gigabyte forums. They have some issues, same as the other manufacturers, of course. The lower you go in price, the less attractive they get...the K5 (not the 5), which I have, is a decent board, but lacks many options an overclocker would like to have (getting a perfect oc above or close to 3.9GHz may be impossible, as a result). The VRMs are inferior to the K7 and 5, and their cooling solution is worse than some, but I've heard their power delivery is not worse than others with similar design.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the feedbakc. considiering the mis board is at around 65 dollars atm at newegg it looks pretty decent for its price.
I will look into the other thoug

but definatly VRM power and stabilty is more important for me than extra usb or leds. i need this mainly just for CPU power and gamming

I think only the years will be able to show how really the power delivery circuitry can affect ryzen and motherboard longevity, they are so young to have enough data yet.
If you're running something close to the limit of spec, vs running something so overbuilt it's at half or lower, doesn't need years to realize the difference. Unless your sample happens to be an outlier.
but definatly VRM power and stabilty is more important for me than extra usb or leds. i need this mainly just for CPU power and gamming
I believe Gamer Nexus has some recommendations; unfortunately I don't think any are MSI, nor are any around the 65$ marker recommended for pushing anything but stock CPUs.

I have not been following the mobo devrlopment on the AMD ryzen side due to all the bios/memory issues so i wanted the paltform to mature a bit to really get into it.
Now its time to upgrade my system and I sm looking for input on which motherboard to get.

- ATX sized
- Overclocking potential
- M2 for later upgraded
- onboard sounds card and at least 1x 1gbit nic. (2 might be nice though but not for extracvost)
- Price friendly

But otherwise i don't have a lot of requirements.(no LEDs or other weird bell and whistles are needed)

I am also looking to what RAM to get. Again im not shy for overclocking/timings tweaking, but i need it to be price/performance oriented.
i will start with 2x8gb of ram and add in more later

Prime95/Linpack/memtest86 stability is an absolute must.
https://hardforum.com/threads/biostar-am4-b350gt3-motherboard-review-forum-member-review.1935267/

Memory overclocking this board did DDR 4 3200 Hynix back in April while other boards were having issues with Samsung B die at DDR 4 3000. I may put in the DDR 4 FlareX ram modules I got and play around with it to see how far this motherboard will go. This motherboard has two power phases for the ram which is very unusual - most have one even the much higher price motherboards. Anyways buying the ATX version, Racing B350 GT5 should do about the same if not better. Racing GT7 has some of the best VRMs available as a note. Anyways the B350 Racing 3 has been going pretty much 24/7 the last month mining including using the 1700x - pretty much at 100% cpu usage with ZERO CRASHES - this thing is as stable as a big rock! Now that is at 3.4ghz cpu and ram at 2933mhz (it will do DDR 3200 but with 1.45v ram which I did not see was needed for mining).

With lower cost boards VRMs can limit your OC, while the VRMs are cooled on the Biostar and folks have OC to 4ghz 8 core, I just don't know how long that will last in the long run.

Last edited:
Pay attention to the reviews on sites like newegg. MSI Mortar boards are junk. Alot of people, such as me, where never able to get into the BIOS.

Pay attention to the reviews on sites like newegg. MSI Mortar boards are junk. Alot of people, such as me, where never able to get into the BIOS.
The quality of those reviews can be very much lacking, especially on the lower end hardware - so take that in consideration as well.

Thank you for all the feedbakc. considiering the mis board is at around 65 dollars atm at newegg it looks pretty decent for its price.
I will look into the other thoug

On sale for $69 - save $60 Sale ends soon. Relatively good user reviews including OCing. As far as I can tell this is about the best you can get for the price you quoted. Good luck.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138446

On sale for $69 - save $60 Sale ends soon. Relatively good user reviews including OCing. As far as I can tell this is about the best you can get for the price you quoted. Good luck.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138446

TY for the input. Biostart still leaves a bad taste in my mouth since the few months we sold them in the store i used to work in. way to many RMA and DOA. those and PCchips was the worst ever. they might have improvede but i am hard on the forgivness.

The msi board laso have 2 phases for ram

My Asrock X370 Taichi has been awesome.

Takes my 1700X to 4.025ghz @ 1.38125v with 0 stability issues, under test or otherwise.

TY it does spot a lot more pwoerphaes which is probaly the most important parts of the mobo for me. (Stability /overclockabilty)

but i dont want to pay for unnede things like Wifi. do thay have a baord with is just more of a Core dedication. no bell and whistles but all the nice performance/quality ?

Trying to scour through reviews

SvenBent Never used speedfan, so can't quite help you there.

I will say that every single header on my Taichi is 4pin PWMM type.

TY for the input. Biostart still leaves a bad taste in my mouth since the few months we sold them in the store i used to work in. way to many RMA and DOA. those and PCchips was the worst ever. they might have improvede but i am hard on the forgivness.

The msi board laso have 2 phases for ram

TY it does spot a lot more pwoerphaes which is probaly the most important parts of the mobo for me. (Stability /overclockabilty)

but i dont want to pay for unnede things like Wifi. do thay have a baord with is just more of a Core dedication. no bell and whistles but all the nice performance/quality ?

Trying to scour through reviews
If you have a higher price ceiling then go for the X370 boards with better VRMs, thought you indicated around $65 which does not leave much. Many of the boards have 2 phases for the SOC and 1 phase for the ram in that price range and low hundreds. BioStar has 3 phases for the SOC and 2 for the ram and the CPU 4 phases has a heatsink on it which some of the boards lack. Anyways BioStar seems to offer some value for the money from noise isolation on the audio, gigabit NIC, almost perfect voltage control on the CPU vs. Load with no need for LOD. I can't say how long these boards will last, mine is going 24/7 now with zero issues/crashes compared to my Gigabyte Z170 board doing mining has crashed at least 3 times. Also Ram works well which I think you are after also. Of course being smaller they don't have the best service. Good luck.

That looks like a fantastic board! Good price too. I think it is worth the extra bucks for the X370 boards now unless one wants something dirt cheap.

I don't usually spend ~$200 on a board, but this Asrock Taichi offering has met my expectations and then some. Looking at the reviews on the Fatal1ty board, i do believe most folks will be quite happy picking it.

It would be pretty cool if Asrock did an internal documentary of how they turned their ship around. They use to be crap back in the day.

VRM this, 8 phase that.

Honestly, I wouldn't invest too much time and money in selecting a motherboard. It's gonna be the CPU that determines how successful an overclock is.

There are top tier reviewers who have only managed 3.8 ghz with a 1700x and a quality x370 board.
There are top tier reviewers were lucky enough to get 4.0 ghz+ with a 1700 and a sub $100 b350.
And everything in between.

I would do some research on what RAM you buy. That is at least something you can control with actual performance gains. 3200 CAS 14 would be ideal for performance without getting crazy on the price. G. Skill and Team Dark both make good sets.

I had a Asus Strix Gaming B350-F and it was pretty much everything you're looking for. It had some LED's, but not enough to jack up the price. Great onboard sound compared to other B350 boards. Ended up paying $60 for it after I sold the AC: Origins code and AR.

G.Skill Flare X is tough to beat if you can get a good deal on it. 3200mhz Cas 14 and works by just setting the profile. I've had other RAM in my Ryzen setups, but none worked as easily as that did.

If you have a higher price ceiling then go for the X370 boards with better VRMs, thought you indicated around $65 which does not leave much. Many of the boards have 2 phases for the SOC and 1 phase for the ram in that price range and low hundreds. BioStar has 3 phases for the SOC and 2 for the ram and the CPU 4 phases has a heatsink on it which some of the boards lack. Anyways BioStar seems to offer some value for the money from noise isolation on the audio, gigabit NIC, almost perfect voltage control on the CPU vs. Load with no need for LOD. I can't say how long these boards will last, mine is going 24/7 now with zero issues/crashes compared to my Gigabyte Z170 board doing mining has crashed at least 3 times. Also Ram works well which I think you are after also. Of course being smaller they don't have the best service. Good luck.

just quick feedback (sitting at work)

- The MSI had 4+2phase
- I didn't indicate 65 dollars as a price range, that was just the price of the prev recommended msi board with the current MIR
my only thing about price is that i dont want to pay for wifi/leds or other frills. I just want to pay for the VRM stabilty/cooling + fan control.

So if a cheaper mobo has better VRM/cooling + Fan control then are more expensive one with wifi and LEDs and SLI... i would grab the first one.

The machine will be running weeks at 100% CPU load

Last edited:
Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Asus Prime X370 Pro and Asrock X370 Taichi. (Fatality would be good also.)

For memory im looking at these

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232180
The seem to be not much more expensive than the cheap crap and deliver DDR4-3000 speed

The issues with mobo prices is that I have to remove that money from memory budgeting.

But will they deliver 3000 speeds? Hynix and Samsung non-B die will get you 2933mhz usually. B-die will get you higher. Others might not get you more than 2400mhz. You have to look at what IC's are in that memory. I don't know off the top of my head. I've used that memory in a Z170 build and it worked great.

Cool am4 board video. Honestly, if you are paying over $250 for a board, you may as well swing for a 1900x/tr4 combo!

Sven - I have not heard good things about g.skill rip vand Ryzen. Stick with Flare X or Trident. Notice that the only am4 reviewer couldnt get past 2400 mhz. Not recommended.

I just ordered the Flarex kit since I had to use Amazon Prime.

Newegg had a team dark 3200 cas 14 kit on sale for $200. Those would have been my pick if I could have had newegg ship here.

My Ripjaws V 2800 kit gets 2933cl14-15-15 stable, though that's pushing the limit. It's got Hynix m-die.

just quick feedback (sitting at work)

- The MSI had 4+2phase
- I didn't indicate 65 dollars as a price range, that was just the price of the prev recommended msi board with the current MIR
my only thing about price is that i dont want to pay for wifi/leds or other frills. I just want to pay for the VRM stabilty/cooling + fan control.

So if a cheaper mobo has better VRM/cooling + Fan control then are more expensive one with wifi and LEDs and SLI... i would grab the first one.

The machine will be running weeks at 100% CPU load
My mistake on price point, that ASRock board looks really good. Now for memory with RyZen, anything with Samsung B die should work well. Probably too late now but I picked up some FlareX DDR 4 3200 16gb Cas 14 (Cas 14 stuff at 3200 are all B-Die) for $164 (which went on sale today but sold out), also on order I have another TridentZ DDR 4 kit also with Samsung B die for $169 (normal $220). The ram you indicated is most like Hynix ram and you would be doing good or lucky at 2933mhz. Frankly I would skip MSI due to cheap VRM components and go with ASUS, Gigabyte(not all) or ASRock(X370 versions). Going X370 now with much better VRM configuration may save you in the future if you want to upgrade the processor.

My mistake on price point, that ASRock board looks really good. Now for memory with RyZen, anything with Samsung B die should work well. Probably too late now but I picked up some FlareX DDR 4 3200 16gb Cas 14 (Cas 14 stuff at 3200 are all B-Die) for $164 (which went on sale today but sold out), also on order I have another TridentZ DDR 4 kit also with Samsung B die for $169 (normal $220). The ram you indicated is most like Hynix ram and you would be doing good or lucky at 2933mhz. Frankly I would skip MSI due to cheap VRM components and go with ASUS, Gigabyte(not all) or ASRock(X370 versions). Going X370 now with much better VRM configuration may save you in the future if you want to upgrade the processor.

ima go seach to se if ican get som smasun B die close to the cheap stuff then. if i could just find an easy list to see which ram would have it

ima go seach to se if ican get som smasun B die close to the cheap stuff then. if i could just find an easy list to see which ram would have it
Any ram that is DDR 4 3200 with CAS 14 is Samsung B die
Faster speeds like DDR 3600 at CAS 16 is mostly Samsung B die, anything with a higher CAS is probably not
The highest speed ram sticks are usually Samsung B die but are the super stupid priced sticks.

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon X370... mine has been rock solid running memory @ 3200 CL14 and clocking my Ryzen 1600 without breaking a sweat to 4.0ghz. I am selling it too but sadly no one wants to buy a used Ryzen setup with all the crazy black friday deals lately XD

Any ram that is DDR 4 3200 with CAS 14 is Samsung B die
Faster speeds like DDR 3600 at CAS 16 is mostly Samsung B die, anything with a higher CAS is probably not
The highest speed ram sticks are usually Samsung B die but are the super stupid priced sticks.

Or E Die...

Back