WGA Woes...

Domingow

2[H]4U
So i get up today and turn on my computer like i always do in the morning only this time there is a new icon in my task bar...the dreaded WGA demon nipple. Needles to say my copy of WinXP is ligit. I go through the steps that WGA tells me to do and attempt to activate my copy of WinXP (again...as if the first time was not enough) So after I run the WinXP activation thingy it tells me that this copy is already activated--as I previously thought. So they why is this demon nipple WGA telling me that this copy is not valid?

So my next step is to look at the M$ web site and determine what i need to do to remove this most foul abortion. After going through the steps to remove WGA I restart my computer...only to find that it has been FUBAR'd. Great...now what? I attempt to go into safe mode to do a system restore and cannot do so. The computer now only will start and then restart over and over and over again.... This is in both safe mode, normal mode. Further when I attempt to do a repair install of XP the repair prompt is not listed in the install options...wow somehow WGA killed my XP. Just friggen great...

Additionally this is the second time this occured. I can now safely point my finger at WGA for breaking my ligit copy of windows. The first time my computer got FUBAR'd after doing some much needed "Critical" updates (WGA was installed w/o my permision) only that time I never got the chance to go back into windows after the reboot, the computer would just reboot over and over again... If this happens again I may just become a mac convert (shudders). Esentially its shyte like this that turns people away from M$ to an alternative OS. (can I demand a refund?) whatever...just venting.

WGA doesnt disable anything, it just gives you nags, if it happened 2x on this same computer, Id look into something else corrupting files and causing hardware to be 'refound' and possivbly kicking in a reactivation, that would explain the constant reboots as well.

I'd give Microsoft a call and see if they can work out what's causing the problem. I've heard of people who genuinely thought they had a legitimate copy of Windows but found out that they didn't because of a shady retailer or because they took their comp to a repair shop and they reinstalled Windows with a bogus copy. Where did you get your copy of Windows?

I bought it from MS during a XP Promo it came with a free WinXP Lava Lamp.
Anyways, this issue may be the result of some bad hardware...i need to learn to upgrade more often and let old hardware die a peacefull death. Essentally, this may be the result of a faulty PS or the HD finally showing its age. I have a Quantum Fireball 40gb HD (remeber thoes things?) and a 7yr old PC power and cooling 400 turbo PS.
The main reason I believe that it may now be hardware related is due to my failed attempt into Firewire networking...The end result of this attempt is that when one computer on the network is on the other computers networked will have the fans contuniously on (even when the PS is unpluged) I had this setup runing for a good year and finally noticed that my GPU fan burned out...oops. after I attempted to remove the Firewire network the computer would not turn on! After some fiddling around, and a good ol cleaning of the inside of the PS the computer came back to life... So yes it does seem to be hardware related I am in the market for a new PS and some good backup software.

dbwillis said:
WGA doesnt disable anything, it just gives you nags, if it happened 2x on this same computer, Id look into something else corrupting files and causing hardware to be 'refound' and possivbly kicking in a reactivation, that would explain the constant reboots as well.

I dont agree that it does nothing. It does plenty. After a few months my mom's PC started doing this stupid WGA thing, even though it was legit. Well, for a while it was fine, it would just nag her, and she would click the button. Well, after a month, it started screwing with her PC. Her desktop icons would disappear, her computer would lose all saved passwords, etc.

So she brought it to me and I did the whole WGA correction stuff, and what do you know, rebooted and everything was back to normal. So you cannot tell me that M$ is not installing their own spyware/maleware on your PC with that crap. And I can 100% be sure it wasn't a virus or anything like that because as soon as the WGA passed, it went back to normal.

Hmm.. at work we have that happen quite alot when we have to reimage the machines.. it's only about a ~10min call to microsoft, and they get it activated for you... I

On M$'s web site, there are procedures about how to remove WGA.

I sincerely hope there will be alternative gaming and media OS for home uses. M$ is getting very annoying. It has became a company without any good innovation, ideas and customer services.

Back