Westy LVM-37W3 37" Monitor $315 AC (+ expensive shipping) B-Stock @ Geeks.com

SJetski71

Fully [H]
Edit: Since the box packing sucks, this deal should probably be limited to those who live within driving distance of Geeks.com. I really hope Geeks catches wind of this thread and learns something from it. They also seem to have an un-skilled customer service lady that rushes you off the phone :rolleyes:

Hey all, the same deal again with a twist.

It's listed as B-stock with minor cosmetic blemishes, and this time the 10% coupon code works.

10% Coupon code = SAVINGS

Product link: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LVM-37W3-FB-B

Link to old thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1480922

Those who live within driving distance are the lucky ones :(

Edit: 17 of them left in stock.

# Refurbished Monitor Grades:
# Grade B
# Monitor is in Great Condition (many vendors would sell these as "A Grade")
# Has slight Cosmetic Blemishes, examples of which are (but not limited to):
# Slight Scratches in case
# Slight Scratches in the screen
# Hairline Crack in Case
# Dead Pixel (3 or less)
# Missing Control Door
# Slight imperfections in the AGAS (Anti-Glare, Anti-Static) Coating
# Etc.

Last edited:
these any different vs the first set that sold out last week?
They're the exact same model number, the first group were listed as "refurbished" while these current ones are listed as "B stock".

I'm guessing they're probably the same batch but Geeks is a little more specific with this listing by posting the cosmetic blemishes, which the initial group had as well.

For anyone who missed the first deal or any thread about it, beware of shipping. Many people had major problems with the shipping and packaging, ending up with severely damaged displays and/or bezels.

I'd be willing to bet that these are the units that were RETURNED from the last batch...
due to dead pixels, scratches on screen, messed up bezels, etc...
i wish i had avoided my purchase from the last batch.. let alone a B-Stock OF that last batch...
buyers be warned lol
if you are local to them so you can see it in person first, then this is a killer deal. otherwise i'd be careful.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet that these are the units that were RETURNED from the last batch...
due to dead pixels, scratches on screen, messed up bezels, etc...
i wish i had avoided my purchase from the last batch.. let alone a B-Stock OF that last batch...
buyers be warned lol
if you are local to them so you can see it in person first, then this is a killer deal. otherwise i'd be careful.

You're probably right. All the monitors that were jacked in their poor shipping are now being resold (what else are they going to do with them?).

YMMV with this. I picked up my 4 from TheDarkTao that he picked up from the last batch. Had 1 with a pretty warped stand, and one that had different inputs from the other 3 for some reason, and the DVI didnt work with anything but a MacBook.

I was lucky that he personally picked them up from Geeks, so there wasnt any worry with shipping, but I can tell you first hand if they are packed the same way, be afraid. The cosmetic issues were very minor, nicks and scratches in the casing, but no major screen issues.

You're probably right. All the monitors that were jacked in their poor shipping are now being resold (what else are they going to do with them?).
That and they probably held back stock in anticipation of a quick sellout. Some of TheDartTao's comments seem to reflect this.

It would be hard for them to re-sell products that were truly jacked during shipping imho, well at least i hope they wouldn't repack items with broken glass, or missing entire bezels. Can't say for sure though.

I'll agree with everyone else, this deal should probably be geared towards those who live locally, it doesn't look like Geeks packs the box well enough, there appears to be no cushion underneath the monitor base to absorb shock either.

I'll agree with everyone else, this deal should probably be geared towards those who live locally, it doesn't look like Geeks packs the box well enough, there appears to be no cushion underneath the monitor base to absorb shock either.

Whatchatalkinabout' .. this isn't enough packing (sarcasm implied)? Hehe.

DSC_0177_Vga.JPG

:p

I bit on the deal earlier, my monitor arrived with a bent base/stand, however the panel was perfect condition and no dead pixels, after calling geeks they said they would send a replacement stand for it if they have one.

Some of the monitors they sent out were the SE model though, which annoys me somewhat, they even try to hide it, as the one I got was a SE model, but they used a permanent black marker to cover up the model code and put a sticker next to it with the non-SE model number.

I bit on the deal earlier, my monitor arrived with a bent base/stand, however the panel was perfect condition and no dead pixels, after calling geeks they said they would send a replacement stand for it if they have one.

Some of the monitors they sent out were the SE model though, which annoys me somewhat, they even try to hide it, as the one I got was a SE model, but they used a permanent black marker to cover up the model code and put a sticker next to it with the non-SE model number.

Wow talk about shady. The SE was not the same monitor as stated in the really long thread on this monitor. It will work for the purpose but as I understood it you would rather have the non SE.

ab6b3981.jpg

Two small air pillows is TOTALLY enough packaging for a 37" LCD in a box that's much bigger than it...
I mean, what does it matter if the bottom of the LCD is sitting on the cardboard at the bottom of the box... and the 5" of open space between all sides of the display and the side of the box? oh, and the 6" of open space above the display to the top of the box? yeah... that's supposed to be there, didn't you know that LCD's are impossible to be damaged while it's inside an invisible packing force-field and stuffed inside of a giant box? duh..

Despite their horrible packaging and so-so customer service.. I decided to exchange my broken unit for another one of these and play russian roulette with the packaging and display quality. I'd rather have a decent Westy than no Westy at all..

But if the Westy I receive has a messed up screen, or a cracked screen (for the 2nd time), I'm going to capture a live wild bobcat and put it in the box and ship it back to them.

I asked for a refund of S&H because that would bring the price more in line of what to expect from a refurbished monitor, that subsequently received enough cosmetic damage it wouldn't even be grade B. I understand policies may not allow it, but I was told that would be "ridiculous" to refund me $111 when they can ship it back for $30! Nice kick in the nads! Like I'm oblivous to the fact the $81 difference is fluff money they got for free.

So we start talking RMA after I expressed concerns replacements would be damaged or not good computer monitors if I was issued another model. I told her I was concerned because I don't have adequate materials to send it back. She made it clear if the screen was damaged they would just be sending it back to me. Somewhere during this, in her inifinite wisdom, she decided I wanted to RMA. Call back tomorrow if I don't want to. Apparently, she had somewhere to be and couldn't deal with me any longer.

The effort made and policies would be adequate for accidents. The idea of me sending it back and being denied a refund is a bit tough to swallow since I just got some air pillows. The kicker is the support person was racing to get me off the phone and rude. No sympathy I got this:

brokenbezel.jpg

Anyway, looking at the thread it seems appropriately angled towards pick up with a big warning on their shipping. I think some of us posting a little fired up and want people to know our troubles. I'll leave it be for you CA'ers to talk, and possibly enjoy this monitor.

I remember a year or so ago having to talk someone out of buying a refurb HD from Geeks...

Next time they want to consider Geeks and I have to remind them, I will just link them these Westy deal threads...

I asked for a refund of S&H because that would bring the price more in line of what to expect from a refurbished monitor, that subsequently received enough cosmetic damage it wouldn't even be grade B. I understand policies may not allow it, but I was told that would be "ridiculous" to refund me $111 when they can ship it back for $30! Nice kick in the nads! Like I'm oblivous to the fact the $81 difference is fluff money they got for free.

So we start talking RMA after I expressed concerns replacements would be damaged or not good computer monitors if I was issued another model. I told her I was concerned because I don't have adequate materials to send it back. She made it clear if the screen was damaged they would just be sending it back to me. Somewhere during this, in her inifinite wisdom, she decided I wanted to RMA. Call back tomorrow if I don't want to. Apparently, she had somewhere to be and couldn't deal with me any longer.

The effort made and policies would be adequate for accidents. The idea of me sending it back and being denied a refund is a bit tough to swallow since I just got some air pillows. The kicker is the support person was racing to get me off the phone and rude. No sympathy I got this:
I remember your post in the other thread, sorry to hear about the bad service experience. Oftentimes i think we're better off politely hanging up the phone and calling back to speak to a different representative. Maybe even calling back at extreme ends of shift times to make sure a different rep answers. Sometimes you're dealing with shitty rep attitude and not company policy, imho. Personally i think it was very fair for you to only ask for a S&H refund. If they keep being stubborn, maybe back down a bit and go for a partial ship refund like $80ish maybe? Just an idea anyway...

But if the Westy I receive has a messed up screen, or a cracked screen (for the 2nd time), I'm going to capture a live wild bobcat and put it in the box and ship it back to them.
Bobcat? lol. Pics or we'll never believe you did it :D

ab6b3981.jpg

Two small air pillows is TOTALLY enough packaging for a 37" LCD in a box that's much bigger than it...
I mean, what does it matter if the bottom of the LCD is sitting on the cardboard at the bottom of the box... and the 5" of open space between all sides of the display and the side of the box? oh, and the 6" of open space above the display to the top of the box? yeah... that's supposed to be there, didn't you know that LCD's are impossible to be damaged while it's inside an invisible packing force-field and stuffed inside of a giant box? duh..

Despite their horrible packaging and so-so customer service.. I decided to exchange my broken unit for another one of these and play russian roulette with the packaging and display quality. I'd rather have a decent Westy than no Westy at all..

I picked up my 4 westies from TheDarkTao locally after he went down and picked them up direct from geeks. The 2 air pillows concerned me so much that when I put them in the back of the truck to drive back to my house, I drove like a grandma.

I think that this will be my last purchase from geeks, as well as my last purchase of refurbished LCD's. Its just not worth the risk on these larger panels...

Picked one up myself. Poor packaging, warped stand, and a huge dark spot in about 20% of the screen, in a zigzag pattern. It's barely noticeable except on a blank desktop, so my kids got a new 37"

Geeks may very well receive these monitors on pallets with little to no packaging. I'm pretty sure that they just turn around and ship the monitor out the way they received them or better.

Still it would be nice of them to at least have the option for adequate packaging since this method is obviously not acceptable.

I've ordered hard drives and random gadgets from the geeks in the past with no issue. If I where to get a monitor from them I'd be sure to drive their myself or have someone else pick one up for me. Testing it on site of course :p

It wouldn't matter if they receive them in a burlap sack on the back of a mule. You can't ship lcd's like that.

If I got treated the way people are posting in this thread I would call the BBB and stop payment. Changing the label like that is nothing short of fraud!

I received my replacement for my NON b-stock purchase, and the replacement they sent was a B-Stock since it's all they had.
slightly dark spot on the right half of the display, hard to notice unless you're on a gray image like the background color here on [H].
And the stand/base is extremely bent, just like the last one.
so the display can literally rock from left to right by barely pushing on it. It's like it's on a U shaped stand so it teeter totters.
But the screen isn't cracked! So I'm just gonna let it be a lesson learned to never buy from Geeks again, and keep it and learn to deal with the dark spot.

Oh, but it was packaged the EXACT same way the last one was...
But, this time it was shipped in a Westinghouse 42" LCD BOX! So the box was even BIGGER and still inadequately packed.

In-case everyone didn't know... Geeks is the worst for packaging/shipping...

I bought some power-supplies, OEM... they literally put them in a box with no packaging but 1 airbag... the box was big enough for 6-8 ATX PSU's and they were just bouncing aruond, got some dents/scuffs but they worked fine and were a ridiculous deal ($60 PSU for ~$10)

But still, I won't order from Geeks anytime soon...

Back