Westinghouse TX-47F430S 47 inch LCD HDTV (1080p, 4 x HDMI) $1199.77 Free Shipping

Dam I must say onecall seems to be the best bet for sales on LCD TV's.. really would like something like this but am unsure if my apartment next year will be able to fit it :\

Ive heard rumors of the latest panels being TN not IPS, people getting units back from RMA that aren't using the same panel type....but still the same model number.

Just a heads up to be sure and check. :eek::rolleyes::p

I got this for $599. :)

BE WARNED: this is a piece of shit for use as a monitor. Read thread over at AVS, and pay close attention to my angry posts. Lots of buggy ass issues with HDMI ports, image scaling, contrast and brightness auto adjust, even updating firmware etc.

BE WARNED: this is a piece of shit for use as a monitor. Read thread over at AVS, and pay close attention to my angry posts. Lots of buggy ass issues with HDMI ports, image scaling, contrast and brightness auto adjust, even updating firmware etc.

Ive only had 1 problem using my 42" version of this TV as a monitor. When in 1080p mode, the sound input via the VGA jack wont work. As soon as I bump it down to 720p works great.

Ive only had 1 problem using my 42" version of this TV as a monitor. When in 1080p mode, the sound input via the VGA jack wont work. As soon as I bump it down to 720p works great.

If you're hooked up through VGA with a .4843mm dot pitch, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you haven't noticed the other issues because your picture is too blurry to see that while scrolling over dark backgrounds, the screen gets brighter and vice versa. You can't shut this off. No firmware update fixes it, if you can even find a flash drive that works with the USB port to update the firmware. The HDMI ports are hubbed and autosourcing works as well as Hellen Keller in a Marco Polo match.

Not to mention the panel itself has terrible contrast and displays piss poor blacks, if you even call them blacks. I call them purples.

Keep in mind the TX version is the piece of shit. LVM is (was) fine.

If you're hooked up through VGA with a .4843mm dot pitch, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you haven't noticed the other issues because your picture is too blurry to see that while scrolling over dark backgrounds, the screen gets brighter and vice versa. You can't shut this off. No firmware update fixes it, if you can even find a flash drive that works with the USB port to update the firmware. The HDMI ports are hubbed and autosourcing works as well as Hellen Keller in a Marco Polo match.

Not to mention the panel itself has terrible contrast and displays piss poor blacks, if you even call them blacks. I call them purples.

Keep in mind the TX version is the piece of shit. LVM is (was) fine.

That's unfortunate. It's a great price for 1080p, but perhaps I'll just hang onto my 720p LVM for a little bit.

I'm under the impression that some of the LVMs were actually rebranded Samsung panels; I'm assuming the TX is from someone else to be sold so cheap.

Most people with TX series TVs are very happy with them. As usual always keep in mind, the trouble reports on AVS reflect people with problems, and the rest dont post complaints because they dont have any.

My 42" is excellent, I couldn't be happier. The HDMI issues Ive had are all the fault of the FIOS HD cable box switching between SD/HD and its horrible implementation of the HDMI/HDCP handshake (Micro SOFT wrote the embedded FIOS software, so it figures). The TV does it by the book, and alot of devices out there DONT, and this leads to potential problems.

I have autosource DISABLED and Dynamic Contrast DISABLED and power saver mode DISABLED.... as a result the TV just plain works.

As a monitor it is fine but I wouldn't use it for that, I have a 24" instead. But for occasional web browsing or youtube for the family, it works fine, without everyone having to go into the computer room and look at the 24".

I have the FIOS, a phillips 1080p upconverting DVD player, and the PC all connected using HDMI, with sound from the PC going to the HDMI 1 analog input. (soon to be changed to a Z-5500 setup). FIOS HD and SD tv look great, the DVD is fantastic, and now Blu/HD off the computer (LG GGC-H20L/PDVD) are truly fantastic.

So as long as the unit has the good IPS panel, I have no problem recommending the Westy TX42 or TX47 as a HDTV. The size is not suited for a monitor, at least not to me, but its a very good TV and the best bang/buck out there.... though closer to $999 for the 47 would be better.

I would recommend the LVM series if you can find it. I am not a fan of the TX as I think the image processing lends to poor monitor type usage.

dont know much about westinghouse tvs, but onecall is great.
a friend of mine knows someone, not me, that purchased a 50 hp plasma for $xxx.
2 billing statements later, they got a full refund for the tv. they still have the tv and
basically got the tv free, just didnt get the refund on the google checkout $10 discount.
i could never get that lucky.

I have autosource DISABLED and Dynamic Contrast DISABLED and power saver mode DISABLED.... as a result the TV just plain works.

Uh.. since you say you're not using this as a monitor... I don't think you'll notice dynamic contrast at all. When looking at still frames such as internet browser windows or folders you WILL still notice an adjustment in brightness every two seconds. Unless you have a wonder TV there, disabling dynamic contrast in the TV menu does barely anything. It shades about 10% of the overall effect. Get a DVI->HDMI cable and hook up your PC. You will realize what I am talking about. It does not go away.

The TXs make for decent TVs, but the dynamic contrast "feature" absolutely slays them for use as monitors. Affirmatively irritating and counter-productive, like Kathy Griffin with wings on steroids.

And yes I used the HDA trick.

I run my XB360 in VGA mode with this TV and I got sound.

I have the FIOS HD DVR, Phillips 1080p DVD, and PC all connected using HDMI.

I have dynamic contrast DISABLED because it is a gimmick that simply doesn't benefit enough to bother using it.

The PC has an LG GGC-H20L and Power DVD Ultra, and is therefore our BluRay/HDDVD player. PowerDVD doesn't upconvert standard DVD's anywhere near as well as the Phillips, so we still use it for DVDs.

Occasionally Ill use the TV for browsing, etc so the whole family can see, but most of the time computer work is done on the 24" Westy in the other room. But for the times we do use it as a computer monitor, it is fine. But the dot pitch on the big displays really isn't that great for use as a monitor up close. It's fine sitting 8 ft away though.

Always remember with this TV, that it has seperate settings for each inout, and even seperate settings memory within an input for different resolutions. On the cable box, you can independently tweak colors, etc for HD and SD programming....makes for alot of work but in the end you get good results. Read the AVS forum thread on this TV, but dont panic that you'll have all the problems people have had, that thread represents hundreds of consumers, most of whom have had issues, not the thousands who didn't have any issues.

I am very satisfied with the TX42, was a bargain when I bought it, and still is. Remember that the forums with problem reports only represent the fraction of people having issues, the bulk of users have no problems at all, and you dont hear from them. Almost every HDTV out there has "issues" and problems for some and so the AVS forums have a problem/advice thread for about every HDTV ever sold in high numbers.

I completely disagree. I've been using mine for over a year now and Iove it, no ghosting, clear and sharp.

I purchased the 42" version to use as a computer monitor from bb and returned it a few days later, just did not look all that great after I got over the wow factor of it. I ended up purchasing a philips 42" 1080p from costco for 1199 and have been very happy with it since.

Back