Westinghouse LVM-37W3SE 37" 1080p Monitor $585 Free Ship

Just wanted to drop back in and add to the chorus of voices proclaiming this to be the best money I've spent in a long, long time. It arrived via FedEx on Saturday morning: this beast is freakin' HUGE, very sharp, no lag problem as far as I can tell (played some Crysis and UT3), just gorgeous. I had to manually set the resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel as it didn't automatically offer it (1920x1080) as an option, but doing so works fine. I've got my PC running through DVI and Xbox360 thru VGA, and both look great (although on this size screen, the relative crapiness of 360 graphics compared to high-end PC games is all the more obvious).

Very, very happy with this purchase, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend this monitor to anyone still on the fence.

Just wanted to drop back in and add to the chorus of voices proclaiming this to be the best money I've spent in a long, long time. It arrived via FedEx on Saturday morning: this beast is freakin' HUGE, very sharp, no lag problem as far as I can tell (played some Crysis and UT3), just gorgeous. I had to manually set the resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel as it didn't automatically offer it (1920x1080) as an option, but doing so works fine. I've got my PC running through DVI and Xbox360 thru VGA, and both look great (although on this size screen, the relative crapiness of 360 graphics compared to high-end PC games is all the more obvious).

Very, very happy with this purchase, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend this monitor to anyone still on the fence.

It should auto detect my first one had bad firmare and it ended up causing all sorts of problems. Try a few games and make sure you don't have any issues selectiing 1920x1080.

Let me know if you guys have any issues with the monitor going to sleep. I'm thinking that might have been tweaked in the newer SE versions, assuming it was a firmware issue vs. a driver issue.

Also, would anyone mind connecting their SE via the VGA input and tell me if there's a noticeable difference from DVI? I've always used DVI for my 37W3 but my PC at the office only has VGA out :mad:

If there's a big difference, I might order a DVI card for my office PC (or have them buy me one :) ). I'm hoping there isn't, but my co-worker's 28" Hanns-G definitely isn't as sharp (using VGA) at 1080p as my 37W3 is at home (using DVI). I'm hoping it's his monitor because when I tested VGA vs. DVI on my old 2001FP there wasn't much difference, but it might be different at 1920x1080. I'd do it here at home, but it's been so long since I've used VGA I'm not even sure if I could find a cable to try it with.

Let me know if you guys have any issues with the monitor going to sleep. I'm thinking that might have been tweaked in the newer SE versions, assuming it was a firmware issue vs. a driver issue.

This has always been an issue. Sometimes it goes to sleep, sometimes you just get a black screen with backlight. Probably the most annoying issue w/this monitor. And I do not have the SE.

pulled the trigger and bit the bullet today. However, I had major issues actually ordering this through Buy.com. Anyone else have troubles with the ordering process?

Made me so frustrated that the shopping cart system said my order processed but didnt. It then gave me a thanks for ordering generic email and nothing was charged to my card. I had to resubmit my order (did so several hours later to make sure the initial attempt didnt actually register as a charge on my card) and subsequently I lost the huge 8% coupon.

Hope the monitor is good. I debated between this and the Samsung LN40-a650 but 40inch just seemed a bit too big for my desk setup.

pulled the trigger and bit the bullet today. However, I had major issues actually ordering this through Buy.com. Anyone else have troubles with the ordering process?

Made me so frustrated that the shopping cart system said my order processed but didnt. It then gave me a thanks for ordering generic email and nothing was charged to my card. I had to resubmit my order (did so several hours later to make sure the initial attempt didnt actually register as a charge on my card) and subsequently I lost the huge 8% coupon.

My order went through the first time, but I was a bit concerned that I didn't get a "Thanks for your order!" email from them (it seems like I did last time). The order showed up under my account on their site, but the status was "Sent to Warehouse" for about 2 days and I still hadn't received an email. I finally sent an email to their CS which (surprisingly) replied very promptly with a courteous reply that my order had in fact gone through. I did get an email when the order finally shipped, and tracking information was made available through Buy.com's website. Overall, not a bad experience, but I would have liked to have gotten an email confirming that my order had been processed just for peace of mind.

phas3d said:
Hope the monitor is good. I debated between this and the Samsung LN40-a650 but 40inch just seemed a bit too big for my desk setup.

That Sammy looks nice, but if you don't need the TV functions I don't know why you'd pay more than double for the Sammy. It certainly looks like a nice unit, though. I looked at some of their 120 Hz LCDs at Sam's and they were pretty amazing for movies. The level of fluidity was unlike anything I had seen.

Sooooo tempting.... But I really shouldn't. 22 is enough for gaming... but... 37! and its soo cheap! but I mustn't Why do you people torture me so!

Sooooo tempting.... But I really shouldn't. 22 is enough for gaming...

No it's not. :) Not after you've gamed on a 27-32"+ panel, anyway! Seriously, even 24" displays look kinda small now, and that's pretty bad as I would have given almost anything to have one a few years ago.

Sooooo tempting.... But I really shouldn't. 22 is enough for gaming... but... 37! and its soo cheap! but I mustn't Why do you people torture me so!

If you have room on your desk (and can comfortably sit back 3 - 4 ft) I would not hesitate to buy this.

Like many have said, it's the best electronics purchase I've made in years. I've had mine almost a year now and love it.

Got mine today too, thankfully the box was in good shape!

My co-worker was so impressed he ordered one within 15 minutes of seeing mine. :) He just bought the 28" Hanns-G less than a month ago and said he ordered the Westy because he wants to take the Hanns-G home...but I know the real reason he ordered it was because my monitor absolutely dwarfed his...Peanus Envee anyone? :D

People can say what they want about Buy.com -- my 2 experiences with them (both for large LCD displays) have been positive. No problems other than the fact that I didn't get an order confirmation email this time, but their CS was very prompt in confirming via email that the order had in fact gone through.

Man... now I'm tempted to order one...

I already got a 37" 1080p 37W1... it's got some scratches which are :( but it was $350... heh... then a 37" 720p LG... way too laggy for games... but still cheap at $450...

Then a 32" 1080 sceptre from Costco for $650 w/ 2 yr warranty... that should be here today D=

I saw a 42" westy 1080P with both NTSC and digital tuners, 3 HDMI, VGA, composite at Costco this evening for 699$

Got it today. Works great except it doesn't adjust right to Wii connected through VGA. Its kind of strange. If I auto adjust like 3-4 times it usually gets it mostly right and I just need to move the image down just a tad. Of course it looks like I'll need to do that every time if I leave it connected through VGA which will be annoying.

That said I haven't even looked at the manual. Just hooked stuff up. Xbox360 worked great. Oppo upconverting DVD player worked very well. Wii was awesome after I got the image displayed right. Haven't tested TV. I'm gonna go down to comcast and switch my regular digital cable box for an hd one. I also haven't tested PC yet. I got this for a TV but may hook up a PC to game on it occasionally, but I'll probably stick with my BenQ FP241W 24" monitor for my PC.

Damn this deal I can't believe its been up this long... must resist the urge to buy...

I wonder what this would do to my glass desk on the back edge...

So if I want over the air HD I just need to get a tuner?

hmm followup to my recent post. I just went through some panic thinking I had a problem with the TV I couldn't fix. I believe the problems with the Wii VGA connection were greater than I thought.

Awhile after trying out the Wii with some SSB I went back for some Xbox360 Guitar Hero. The image was terrible. The contrast, etc was really off and the image was really white and washed out with the colors off. I must have spent an hour screwing around with settings, etc trying to restore it. Anything I hooked up to the component inputs had the same problem.

I tried factory reset which didn't help. I thought the adjustments made for the Wii VGA connection must have screwed up some settings but none that I seemed to be able to change in the menu. Since the Wii has some issues over VGA I tried hooking up a PC to try to get the Wii settings out and correct VGA settings back in. Didn't work. VGA PC and my DVD player over HDMI were fine though.

Somewhere in there I had unplugged the TV and replugged it back in, but no effect. After giving up on the settings I was going to leave it unpluggled longer and like 1 minute after disconnecting power to the monitor the small Westinghouse logo on the front flashes. I was happy to see that as I figured I probably hadn't left it unplugged long enough before for the settings to flush. And thankfully it is working now. I guess I'll just have to swap stuff on component since I have more than 2 devices using component. Was hoping to get the Wii on VGA :(

So morale of this story is don't use a Wii VGA cable with this monitor..

i want this monitor so bad, but my viewing distance worries me.. the distance would be.. a foot and a half, maybe less.. bad idea?

I've sat close to my 37" 720P and I can see the pixelation, but I imagine with the higher resolution it would be slightly better.

Ideally though.. 2 to 3 feet back would be the sweet spot.

Part of me wishes this deal would die already so my wallet doesn't grow that much thinner :p

Oh man... I'm so stoked!

Just got this baby today and hooked it up to my PC. I'm typing this message using it.

When I saw images online, I was like, "bleh, doesn't look too big...". Then I saw the box today and I was like, "god damn that's big." Opened it up and felt it's a bit small again.... I finally fired it up w/ my PC and wow... As soon as the image comes on, I'm blown away! You just can't appreciate its sheer size until its on.

I have a jerker desk w/ the shelf on top. I had thought it would fit on the desk under the top shelf, but noo... My bro had to help me raise the shelf to the very top holes and lowered the desk down pass mid point of the stand on the jerker desk. Only then do I get a 1 inch clearance at the top! It's taller than I thought!

Sitting at about 3 feet away, the screen is... I should say around 90% uniform viewing dark pages such as hardforums. The 10% off uniform is the center where it's slightly darker than the sides.(and of course it gets lighter on the two sides) Sitting on my bed at 5 feet+ away, everything looks just fine to me.

My nVidia driver(177.66 running on vista with an eVGA Geforce 8800GT 512) detected this display via HDMI just fine. Found LVM-37w3se. 1920x1080 resolution @ 60Hz. Though on first boot, it was set at 1360x768. I ran my usual pixel tests using solid color images sized at 1920x1080 and luckily I got ZERO dead or stuck pixels!!!(*crosses fingers*knocks on wood*) Here's hope it stays that way for a long time. :)

In any case, I'm so stoked. I hope my post is informative enough for those still on the fence. My upgrade from a Hitachi 19" CRT to this beast has been a step to heaven. lol (gave my vx2025wm to my bro a while back)

One thing I haven't figured out is how to get sound to the built in speaker while using HDMI input. Anyone got a clue? It's not a big deal for me cuz my PC would be running sound to an altec 5.1 anyways. :)

I'm coming up on finally purchasing this. Newegg has it for 699.99 and buy for 569.99

Looking at buy.coms reseller rating I am a little scared. Are they trustable?

bought my westy with this deal. had it for about a week and have no complaints about it at all. does the job good.

Bought a 37" westy for my wife about a month ago.. VERY pleased with the price and delivery. No problems from Buy.com, what-so-ever! Shipping took about 5 days.

How is this monitor with browsing the internet?

The phrase, "Duuuuude!", was written especially for this monitor. :D

Now in it's second year, the Intarweb in text, pictures and the occasional YouTube video in Panavision(tm) on my desk. It gets the "Cold, Dead Hands" award for stuff you'll pry from my grasp when I'm good and ready to let go.

Would it take an expensive card (GTX 280) to play games at high settings on a monitor of this size?

Back