Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD monitor $1599 + free HTIB

schizo

[H]ard|Gawd
If you missed the 12 hour $1500 bestbuy deal 2 months ago and the $1550 Crutchfield deal 2 weeks ago, this is your best shot for this monitor. It's $1599 at bestbuy.com with free shipping and a free philips home theatre in a box with progressive scan DVD player. You will have to pay tax, but if you can use the Philips HTIB this is pretty hot.

If you upgrade to DirecTV HD service you get $400 off, if you upgrade to cable HD service you get $250 off. But you have to pay bestbuy to do the install, which costs $199, and you need to purchase at a physical store. So the final cost is either $1398 or 1548, including a professional install.

$1599 (base price)
- $400 (directv HD discount)
+ $199 (installation cost)
-------------------
$1398

or

$1599 (base price)
- $250 (cable HD discount)
+ $199 (installation cost)
-------------------
$1548

link to TV
cable/directv discount

HTIB = crap. The price is good on the TV itself, but that HTIB does not make it a good deal.

It's much, much better than the built-in speakers. And like you said, the $1599 price is the cheapest anywhere now.

Also, free shipping on this.

Just added the discount for upgrading your cable or directv and the $199 install cost. $1398 is pretty damn smokin, and $1548 is roughly equivalent to the crutchfield deal 2 weeks ago.

Cable discount says in-store only, while TV is online only - don't think its possible to combine them?

BB

Sure, and in 10 years you can watch holotv inside your eyeballs while riding a hovercraft to work on neptune. If you can wait, all prices will drop.

Except gasoline, anyway.

schizo said:
Sure, and in 10 years you can watch holotv inside your eyeballs while riding a hovercraft to work on neptune. If you can wait, all prices will drop.

Except gasoline, anyway.

uh yah sure, Im just saying 3months away, not 10 yrs. Holiday season brings good deals :rolleyes:

According to this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat95100050055

It seems like you can still get an instant rebate of $100 or $250 without installation.
$100 for upgrading to HD cable and $250 for upgrading to Direct-TV HD.

So the cost would be:
$1599 (base price)
- $250 (directv HD discount)
-------------------
$1349

or

$1599 (base price)
- $100 (cable HD discount)
-------------------
$1499

So, unless you wanted BB to install, this is a better deal.
If I had the money I'd probably do this.

Good call... yeah that is a bit cheaper.

Yes, the lvm-42w2 accepts 1080p over DVI, HDMI, and component. I don't think it works on the VGA input.

I've been hearing a lot about westinghouse tv's lately. Didn't wal-mart used to sell that brand back in the early '90's?

Just wanted to say that this monitor is gorgeous -- seriously thinking about picking one up.

I've heard there's an odd power-on / power-off issue with revisions 1.00 through 1.19 (I think) -- anyone have anything to say about that? Annoying? Too annoying to live with?

Anyone know what revision the monitor in this deal is?

Version 1.00 is actually the NEWEST revision... confusing but true. There are scattered reports of lockups. Some people never see one, some get one every week or two. This is from bestbuy so there's really no telling which revision you'll get. They have stores and warehouses scattered across the US.

If you've got about 6 hours to spare, here's the megathread on AVSforums.

http://westinghousedigital.com/pc-44-7-42-1080p-monitor.aspx
^no 1080p over component. AFAIK there are no known CE w/1080p over component. i don't even know if it's technically possible.

and while we're FYI-ing, just want to let ya'll know that there are TWO types of 1080p. 60Hz and 24Hz. 1080p/60 is currently the most popular as PC's output that easily... but HD-DVDs and BluRay are both encoded with 1080p/24. if you paid attention to CEDIA, Toshiba's XA2 (2ndGen launches in december) WILL output 1080p/24 over HDMI1.3. google around for the official spex. and just when you thought were was only 1 1080p ;).

PS if you don't care about the above crap, this is still a STEAL right now. 1080i is fairly close to 1080p even at this size. 1080p and i won't be clearly discernible until you reach 60, 70" plus. i've got a front projector (100") and it's very clear.

The lvm42w2 does support 1080p over component. People have tried it, it works.

Basically, yeah. Read through that AVS forum thread or the audioholics review.

I think where you're confused is that you can't push HD-DVD or Blu-Ray 1080p over component due to the specifications of the format. But an upconverting dvd player to 1080p will work over the component inputs.

I think it might be worth mentioning that, strictly speaking, this is not a tv but a monitor, albeit a very large and very beautiful monitor, since it doesn't any tuners.

Remora9595 said:
I think it might be worth mentioning that, strictly speaking, this is not a tv but a monitor, albeit a very large and very beautiful monitor, since it doesn't any tuners.

not even SDTV?

Or you could buy a $10 VCR at Walmart and use its tuner with an antenna.

If you can plug it in and it's not an attenna it will work. I don't get what the big deal is.

And you can plug it in if you can use component (the yellow, white, red guys and the HD ala xbox360 ones), HDMI, VGA, DVI, svideo.... no coaxial but if you're box doesn't have a yellow component or svideo cable you're probably not reading this thread.

If I want over the air HD I guess I'll buy an HD TV wonder, have a no monthly fee tivo in the process, and play my games on 1920*1080 on a 42" screen. Dang, I already got the TV, you guys are making me want to buy a tuner card! bastards!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Elec said:
Or you could buy a $10 VCR at Walmart and use its tuner with an antenna.

meh. Don't have one of those either, and I hate doing that. :p

texuspete00 said:
If you can plug it in and it's not an attenna it will work. I don't get what the big deal is.

And you can plug it in if you can use component (the yellow, white, red guys and the HD ala xbox360 ones), HDMI, VGA, DVI, svideo.... no coaxial but if you're box doesn't have a yellow component or svideo cable you're probably not reading this thread.

If I want over the air HD I guess I'll buy an HD TV wonder, have a no monthly fee tivo in the process, and play my games on 1920*1080 on a 42" screen. Dang, I already got the TV, you guys are making me want to buy a tuner card! bastards!!!!!!!!!!! :p

'cause I'm 1, lazy, 2, still using old cheapo analog cable, so I need an SDTV tuner (yay coax), etc. I don't have a single cable box that does anyhting BUT coax.

I have hidef connections for everything else, but TV is still old-fashioned base cable, ftw!

himmy said:
HTIB = crap. The price is good on the TV itself, but that HTIB does not make it a good deal.

since you started the thread on that note...

that TV is crap...

no, worse than crap

The PQ is horrible, and they break like vw's

Verge said:

that TV is crap...

no, worse than crap

what?

lopoetve said:
I haven't used a cable box in 7 years, and I don't have HDTV cable yet, or sat.

Then why the hell would you want an HDTV if you do not plan on getting HDTV signals?

You can't even get the premium channels without a box anymore.

Verge said:

that TV is crap...

no, worse than crap

You are ill informed if you think the PQ is crap.

himmy said:
Then why the hell would you want an HDTV if you do not plan on getting HDTV signals?

You can't even get the premium channels without a box anymore.

I can too get the premium channels :)

Oh, and HDTV for Xbox 360 and my Oppo DVD player :)

I just picked up this LMV 37w3 at Nebraska Mart for $699. I didn't even think to ask about a tuner. But figured I couldn't lose with that price.

blackdevildog said:
I just picked up this LMV 37w3 at Nebraska Mart for $699. I didn't even think to ask about a tuner. But figured I couldn't lose with that price.

This is not the same unit, this is the 42".

Verge said:
I find it incredibly funny that you would disparage this monitor by disparaging a car that is of good quality, also.

I have at least 15 friends who have VW's with 200K + miles. You might want to check tdiclub.com

Your opinion is, seemingly, doubly weakened as these westy's are KNOWN to be good quality, just like your car comparison.

Please don't turn this into an anti VW nor anti WESTY thread.

CyberDeus-RagDoll said:
I find it incredibly funny that you would disparage this monitor by disparaging a car that is of good quality, also.

I have at least 15 friends who have VW's with 200K + miles. You might want to check tdiclub.com

I have a 2001 VW Passat that has more electrical problems than an old MGB. I find the comparison quite amusing. ;)

brycejones said:
I have a 2001 VW Passat that has more electrical problems than an old MGB. I find the comparison quite amusing. ;)
I'll add that I know three people with VW's that have nothing but problems with them.

On a side note anybody know when there might be a good deal on a lvm37w3 again, thats at a BB, CC, Costco, Sams?

Back