Westinghouse 4096×2160 12-bit 28" 40" monitors

The company is also marketing under the Westinghouse house brand a pair of true-4K desktop PC monitors with 4096×2160 pixel resolution in the 28- ($399 suggested retail) and 40-inch ($899) screen sizes. Both feature 12-bit color processing, DisplayPort 1.2, DVI, HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 and VGA inputs and will work as USB hubs.

Westinghouse is targeting the monitors at design, architectural and financial services industries, said Hunt.

http://hdguru.com/westinghouse-resurfaces-with-value-4k-ultra-hd-tv-line/#more-16184

I wouldn't expect too much of westinghouse but "true" 4K panels are usually aimed at professional use, how can they be so cheap?

That's interesting...with DP1.2 it's pretty much going to be guaranteed 4k60hz 4:4:4. Now make it PWM and input lag free and you've got a deal.

At this price range, I seriously doubt they'll be PWM-free. But here's hoping...

The low price most likely means a TN panel with PWM, unfortunately.

I really hate this "true" 4k BS. It's a non-standard 17:9 aspect ratio just for the sake of having the horizontal resolution start with a '4' in case the plebs get confused.

This could be interesting. At the very least it'll start pushing companies to produce 40 inch 4k screens.

It's the same Phillips panel, folks. These are the cheap Chinese designed 4K panel that is making the rounds.

Isn't the Philips 8 bpc, though?

Yes but they claimed it's "10 bit." Therefore, this is the same thing. Notice it says 12-bit "processing."? It's an 8-bit panel with dithering or look up table. They can put in 16-bit processing and it'd still be an 8-bit panel. The price is the dead giveaway.

What Philips panel are you talking about? I wasn't aware of a 40" 4096x2160 display out yet.

Back