Westinghouse 37w3 for $799, Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was one of the first to order as I did it on May 25th and it showed up in less than a week. So far it has worked great and I'm pretty used to it now. I tried some CS Source and I really need to adjust to the size of the screen. I felt a bit light headed afterwards, something I've never experienced before cause I don't get air, sea, car, or anything sick. My Xbox 360 over VGA looks awesome at 1920x1080. I've done many hours of Forza 2 now and I love every minute of it with no side effects.

I took a few pics here: http://www.dmwtech.com/gallery2/v/misc/37w3

I received a 37w3se today, this is probably a newer revision to replace the current one. Updates are 1200 contrast ratio with a loss of 1 dvi input.

I like the 1200to1 but not sure it's worth losing a DVI... mine still has not shipped so I have no idea what i will get.

I think it is. If you can afford a 900$ monitor, you can afford a loseless hdmi hub from monoprice for 30$ (or it should be that way at least :p )

no

TWO DIGITAL INPUTS

DVI and HDMI

is the sacrifice worth it?

Fuck, mine better not arrive that way. I need all the inputs, it's going in my office and I want both the PCs and the HD box hooked up digitally. Guess I can do the cable box through component if I need to.

no

TWO DIGITAL INPUTS

DVI and HDMI

is the sacrifice worth it?

I'd like to know if they really actually improved the contrast ratio by any meaningful amount (and how, unless theres a new 37" 1080p panel being produced). The numbers manufactuers use don't really mean anything. They could pull a number out of their arse and be right using some fuzzy math and logic.

are ALL of you costo members?

Summary
Subtotal: $799.99
Shipping & Handling: $48.54
Non-Member Surcharge: $40.00
Tax: $42.00
Order Total: $930.53

i get surcharged =(

are ALL of you costo members?
i get surcharged =(

I'm not. . . and I avoided the surcharge fee. There's apparently a bug in their system that causes you to avoid being charged the fee if you have an order on your Costco account for a membership, even if the order is cancelled (at least, thats what happened to the best of my knowledge. I tried purchasing the monitor with a $50 membership. My bank declined the charge and the order was cancelled. I ordered the monitor again and I was not charged a non-member fee or give an option during checkout to become a member). And best of all, there's no Costco stores in Maine, so I ended up getting away with it for $848.53 shipped :D

I placed a order for one on 6/7 with Costco it was about to ship the very next day on the 8th, which was fantastic. Thats when my bank also negated the charge on my visa check card. I didn't realize that the card had a spending limit of 500 a day. Around 9:30am on the 8th I checked my email and the order status, it said it was still in progress. Costco then e-mails meat 9:48am to tell me of the declined charge. Well I didn't happen to check my e-mail until 2pm the next day on the 9th.(So I just missed the e-mail grr) This was more than 24hrs after i received notification so sadly my order got canceled with out a chance to do anything. Man did that frustrate me lol. So I re-placed the order yet this time I was unable to choose the faster shipping, hmm. I ended up having the bank raise my limit and I actually ordered two this time.(I talked about this thing so much my best friend wants one :) ) So I hope I't wont take to long to get them.

Subtotal: $1,615.98
Shipping & Handling: $46.15
Tax: $135.81 (Ca)
Order Total: $1,797.94 (this is my total as a costco member)

This new version of the 37incher that just poped up is kinda strange and neat at the same time. Strange because it has lost a DVI port with out a replacement input.(glad I only will need the one) Neat because of the improved contrast ratio. I can't wait to see it in action!

I'm new to the boards here and indeed love it! Lots of good info, all given and shared with positive intentions. :D

Cheers!

930 without a membership is still a good deal, $30 more than I paid with a membership already...I bgouth mine on 6/7 too and it still has not shipped I'm going to call them right now i want to know what the hold up is. The shipping location is like 20 miles from my house! Damn CA taxes were pretty hefty!

edit: after punching in all my info the wait time was 16 minutes so I closed my cellphone... :(

^^^ Welcome to the Forum Richer! ^^^ haha j/k

I ordered mine last Thursday morning (June 7th) and am still at "In Process". When I ordered it stated 5-7 days of processing then 5-7 days of shipping so I'll expect it for next weekend. Also, I purchased the Costco membership for an extra 10 bucks (50 total) knowing that I can cancel my membership at any time and get the full amount back.

Now for the wait....

i'm hoping this will be there on friday when i get paid. i'm using my mom's costco #, so it comes out to $891 for me. please STILL be there FRIDAY :D

Woot im finally in the 37W3 Club!

Subtotal: $799.99
Shipping & Handling: $27.29
Tax: $61.22
Order Total: $888.50

Under $900 is great! I love that Costco provides the 2 Year Warrenty and 90 Day Return for refund service.

Ordered on the 7th. Got the ship notice tonight. Will be here on the 18th.

now to get a wall mount from monoprice.

and a heavy duty DVI-D cable.

and two hard boiled eggs.:)

Hi fellow HardOPS

I have been debating this monitor and it's (W1) brother for many months now.
Probably since Christmas.

As far as I can tell there is no monitor better, bang for buck, or maybe even period.

My main problem is that I live in Canada, and do not know anyone in the States that is close to the Vancouver border.

I noticed some of you were mentioning that $799 is no longer a sale price.
If that's true does anyone feel that this will become the instore store price as well. (HELL I'd definetly drive down)

With the SE revision it is a shame that we lose the extra DVI connection, and is 1200 versus 1000 really noticeable.

Quote from AVSFORUMS:

"I spoke with Westinghouse Tech today, I had some questions about the "SE" revision and the missing DVI-HDCP connector, this is what he told me:

1) The DVI-2 connector was sharing the switching circuits on the board with the HDMI connector. This created problems\conflicts with the DVI-2 connector being HDCP compliant, so they removed the DVI-2 connector in the new SE revision.

2) New panel with higher contrast ratio (1200:1)

3) Some PS3's are flashed improperly (firmware/eeprom/resistor capacitor bridge) and are NOT in compliance with HDCP protocols. This throws the timing events off and you get flashing. Some PS3's are flashed correctly and some are not."

-Mookman

Anyway just thought I would get some input. As always some advice to get this baby in Canada would be greatly appreciated, I do however appreciate the peace of mind that comes with buying from Costco.

. . .

I noticed some of you were mentioning that $799 is no longer a sale price.
If that's true does anyone feel that this will become the instore store price as well. (HELL I'd definetly drive down)

. . .

Unfortunately the deal is online only. Costco does not carry the monitor instores (this goes for the majority of the merchandise on their site--it's almost all exclusve to the website).

Actually, this is the one I ordered:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1082801&p_id=2852&seq=1&format=2&style=

no idea what the differences between the 2 you mentioned are.

The one he linked is specifically designed for "widescreen" displays. The pictures are stock clipart. - The one you ordered probably will still work, but, the other one, a few bucks more, is technically "the right one"

Is this the wall mount you are looking at? http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1082801&p_id=3004&seq=1&format=2&style=

Also whats the difference between 24 AWG (more expensive) and 28 AWG (less expensive) when it comes to the DVI-D Cables? Thanks!

Theoretically, thicker cable can better carry electrical signals. More metal to conduct electricity = more electricity carried. The theoretical benefit is that your picture will be more accurate, with less possibility for data loss. However. Digital has error correction anyhow (as far as I know) so it's probably pointless. AND 28awg vs 24awg isn't that big of a difference, so it's not that important.

Alternatively, a 24AWG is a sturdier cable, and less likely to crimp/break.. so, you may want to use that as a justification.
My logic is that monoprice's prices are so low (when say, compared to monster) that I'd rather get the highest end monoprice variation and "splurge" and I know i'm still ahead of what I'd have gotten for double to triple the price had I gone to bestbuy or soundadvice to buy cable.

24AWG is better. Does it merit the cost difference? That's for you to decide. I'd buy it ANYWAY, but then I buy the "expensive" fiberoptic audio cables when I know damn well that the cheapies do the job, because the "expensive" ones are sleeved and the cheapies aren't.

But we're talking $4.20 versus $2.16

That DVI cable 24AWG, @ 10 foot is only $15. If the price between them was $50 I could justify buying the lesser cable.. but $8 vs $15.. = splurge.

Alternatively, a 24AWG is a sturdier cable, and less likely to crimp/break.. so, you may want to use that as a justification.
My logic is that monoprice's prices are so low (when say, compared to monster) that I'd rather get the highest end monoprice variation and "splurge" and I know i'm still ahead of what I'd have gotten for double to triple the price had I gone to bestbuy or soundadvice to buy cable.

24AWG is better. Does it merit the cost difference? That's for you to decide. I'd buy it ANYWAY, but then I buy the "expensive" fiberoptic audio cables when I know damn well that the cheapies do the job, because the "expensive" ones are sleeved and the cheapies aren't.

That DVI cable 24AWG, @ 10 foot is only $15. If the price between them was $50 I could justify buying the lesser cable.. but $8 vs $15.. = splurge.

Thanks for the info.

The one he linked is specifically designed for "widescreen" displays. The pictures are stock clipart. - The one you ordered probably will still work, but, the other one, a few bucks more, is technically "the right one"

Theoretically, thicker cable can better carry electrical signals. More metal to conduct electricity = more electricity carried. The theoretical benefit is that your picture will be more accurate, with less possibility for data loss. However. Digital has error correction anyhow (as far as I know) so it's probably pointless. AND 28awg vs 24awg isn't that big of a difference, so it's not that important.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1020901&p_id=2688&seq=1&format=2&style=

will that work? 15 foot one sold out until the end of this month

I got the cheapest HDMI cable monoprice had, it was like 5 bucks for 6 feet or something like that, i think shipping cost me more than the cable, and it looks beautiful paired with my PS3, and the cable is high quality with gold connectors.. save your money for some other toy.. don't waste it on a digital cable.

For the people that don't have a local costco and got their tv with to many dead pixels/etc. Did costco cover the shipping charge back to them or do you have to pay shipping?

EDIT: I finally got through with someone at costco and was told they would pay shipping back for whatever reason I wanted.

Perfect 37w3 for $876.31 sounds good to me. To bad $40 is the stupid surcharge.

got my 37w3 yesterday, loving it so far, that mofo is so huge im gonna have to take my desk apart to make enough room for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back