Westinghouse 37w3 for $799, Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cmet THIS close, but word is coming out now about the TX series, so Im waiting for the TX42 instead.

Do you have more info about this series? Cost, features, can it be used as a pc monitor, etc? I am super tempted by this deal and trying to get more info.

Do you have more info about this series? Cost, features, can it be used as a pc monitor, etc? I am super tempted by this deal and trying to get more info.

AVSForum has a great thread on that monitor

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=851860

I decided agaisnt the TX series as the price difference isn't worth it from 37" to 42" TX. Then again though, 37" seems to be the ideal size for me for a computer monitor @ 1920x1080 res.

Ok, so would people here recommend the 37 to watch HDTV as well as a multi-purpose gaming monitor? Ineed a tv for my gaming room and this seems like it would kill several birds with one stone.

Also, how much relative difference is there in viewing size going down from a 42' to a 37?? I like having all that screen real estate.(currently using a 42' Panny Plasma 720p tv that I might sell or put in the living room).

Pure and simple, the 37 is a fantastic monitor. Works for PC's and works for HD DVR's and cable boxes, etc.

If 37" is going to be big enough given your viewing area, this is a killer deal.

If you need bigger, look at the TX series 42" and 47" about to be hitting bestbuy shelves.

Ok, so would people here recommend the 37 to watch HDTV as well as a multi-purpose gaming monitor? Ineed a tv for my gaming room and this seems like it would kill several birds with one stone.

Also, how much relative difference is there in viewing size going down from a 42' to a 37?? I like having all that screen real estate.(currently using a 42' Panny Plasma 720p tv that I might sell or put in the living room).

I vote going for this for a computer display and putting the 42' Plasma in the living room or bedroom. The only reason you'd need larger than a 37" for a computer display is if you were actually sitting further than 3-5 feet from it.

I think I currently sit exactly 6 feet from the 42in right now. Its a relatively small computer room-about the small of a small bedroom (well it is a small bedroom). Ideally I would keep my old dell 20.1 2005fpw as a secondary monitor, and line this monitor up so it would sit as an HDTV tv as well as a pc monitor for gaming (not necessarily browsing use)

My primary concern is not the viability as a PC monitor or even a 360/ps3 monitor as this thread has convinced me of that, my concern is with whether it is not only a functional and good looking HDTV in and of itself, and also not tremendously smaller in viewing area as compared to a 42. Thanks for all the thoughts guys.

So costco wont ship to an APO, thats fine...

Problem is there is no way to even enter my billing information (was going to ship the monitor to my moms house and have her mail it over), because on the state drop down box there is no option for AE (armed forces europe)

What is the big deal with not shipping to an APO? Kind of lame customer service if you ask me :(

Sat on hold for 20mins to find that info out... guess the only way to get this is to transfer money to my mom, pay delivery charges to her house then have her ship it to me. Probably defeats the whole purpose of the $200 off :p

*edit* Is the 42" any good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234005

how far away does one sit from the 37 inch? same as a 19inch?

Personally, I got headaches using it as a computer monitor until I added another desk. I'd suggest 4 feet away or slightly more. I put something to put the monitor on behind my computer desk and now no more headaches, so if you move it back slightly it's fine.

UPS just dropped mine off, time to test it out! Too bad I don't have a camera and my girlfriend did not leave hers here.

i got one today..

it's AMAZINGLY BIG..

I LOVE IT..

now..how do i calibrate this baby to display the best?

Let us know how they are guys :D

Any Dead Pixels ?
How was the box's condition upon arrival?
Location?
Firmware version?

No dead pixels but had 1 stuck; covered a cloth over a pen, turned off lcd, pressed against pixle area and turned it back on, no stuck or dead pixels now
Box was in near perfect condition and the monitor was resting inside touching nothing because of the polyurathaine corners
Near Los Angeles
Trying to find the post for the firmware unless someone can do it here?

Going to test this baby against my Sharp 32D62U I bought less than 10 days ago; loser goes back to the store

edit: 1.8 firmware

No dead pixels but had 1 stuck; covered a cloth over a pen, turned off lcd, pressed against pixle area and turned it back on, no stuck or dead pixels now
Box was in near perfect condition and the monitor was resting inside touching nothing because of the polyurathaine corners
Near Los Angeles
Trying to find the post for the firmware unless someone can do it here?

Going to test this baby against my Sharp 32D62U I bought less than 10 days ago; loser goes back to the store

edit: 1.8 firmware

How do you know the difference between a stuck pixel and a dead pixel?

A dead pixel is black or white and if you try to fix it, nothing will happen because it is dead; does not work. A stuck pixel is just stuck on a particular color (can be blue, green, red, whatever), and there are ways to make them unstuck.

can all stuck pixels be unstuck? I have one that is red that I had assumed to be dead. I tried various programs that flashed different colors on the location as well as trying to physically move the crystal in my lcd to no avail.

Take note of where the stuck pixel is, cover pen with cloth, turned off lcd, press against stuck pixel area and turned the monitor back on. I've done that twice on two different monitors and it worked both times. Maybe take a few tries though, especially if it is your first time. Don't forget to be gentle but firm.

I'm debating right now whether I should spend the money and get this 37" 1080p monitor or if I should save my money and get a 32" 720p hdtv.
(I'm 17 and have just over 1200 in the bank)
What do you guys think?

I'm debating right now whether I should spend the money and get this 37" 1080p monitor or if I should save my money and get a 32" 720p hdtv.
What do you guys think?

37 in Westy. Just do it. It's only money. You have the rest of your life to make money.

What do you guys think?

Westinghouse for sure... then you can use it for your monitor and your tv.

I am still concerned about using this for my primary HDTV because the guys at AVS seem to have some reservations about how some of the channels come through on different HD boxes...anyone have extensive experience using it as a TV?

I am still concerned about using this for my primary HDTV because the guys at AVS seem to have some reservations about how some of the channels come through on different HD boxes...anyone have extensive experience using it as a TV?

SD channels look fairly crappy. HD channels look really nice though and from what I've read almost every HDTV that is showing SD channels makes it look like crap.

SD channels look fairly crappy. HD channels look really nice though and from what I've read almost every HDTV that is showing SD channels makes it look like crap.

LCD's yes, but other technologies like projection TV's don't have this issue..

Anyone order on or after Tuesday and have their order ship yet? I ordered Wednesday morning, but it's still "Processing. . .". My order I put in Tuesday afternoon was cancelled Tuesday night. The order I put in Wednesday night did not charge me the 5% non-member fee, and I don't have a membership, so I'm concerned they're waiting for a membership or something but not telling me. . .

Thanks for the link :) Ordered on the 25th and got it today :D Looks better than I could have imagined.

Mine finally shipped Friday night. . . $848 shipped - I'm not a member and avoided the membership fee (apprently there is a glitch in their system related to purchasing a membership and having it then cancelled) :D

Mine showed up Friday. I've been watching tv, playing Gamecube and a little bit of DVD. My DVD player is old, and the component outputs are messed up so I have to use the S-Video.

My thoughts:
HD Channels (expec Discovery HD) OMFG.... Drop Dead gorgeous picture. Even my wife has made comments about the picture. Watched Battlestar on Universal HD and it was great, but a bit dark - I had adjusted my picture using a THX optimizer (Pirates of the Carribbian)before the show but I think because my DVD player isn't using the same inputs, it's a bit dark. I upped the brightness just a bit, and it looked awesome.

SD Channels - Not bad actually - I am very pleased with the performance on that front.

Gamecube - Hey, it's a Gamecube, I didn't expect much....

As a TV I give it an A+ - the autoswitching for different inputs is nice, but can be annoying as well at times... With 7 inputs you can hook up more crap that can imagine to it. The remote is nicely layed out with buttons to take you directly to each of the inputs without going thru all the others (nice touch).

Now to get that Oppo DVD player, and a XBox 360, and a Wii :)

I got mine on Friday as well and I am VERY happy that I got this monitor to replace my Sharp 26inch. The picture is so damn clear! Pics to come soon! The Wii doesn't look the greatest, but my 360 looks outstanding!

Was using a 37” 1366x768 HDTV for my monitor and thought that was amazingly cool, bumping up the res to 1920x1080 blows it away though, damn shame that they’re going to discontinue this model and not have a replacement for it in the 37” size, 37 is perfect but if I had to bump up to the 42 I’d do it in a flash – this is a little better deal though. $873 shipped.

Was using a 37” 1366x768 HDTV for my monitor and thought that was amazingly cool, bumping up the res to 1920x1080 blows it away though, damn shame that they’re going to discontinue this model and not have a replacement for it in the 37” size, 37 is perfect but if I had to bump up to the 42 I’d do it in a flash – this is a little better deal though. $873 shipped.

I too was using the 1366x768 and at first it was soo bad ass, and then I did more research and after using that res, I grown not to like it. This res and monitor is perfect and I would never turn back.

Still a little worried that my new system is going to choke on upcoming games, 1920x1080 requires a bit of graphics power to get the frames up there, I guess I’m going to have to upgrade my brand new 8800 GTS soon :(

eh your 8800gts should be just fine, i just played it safe and got a GTX.

just curious to see what firmware revisions are your monitors. I bought mine roughly at the same time as you guys. The guys at AVS have indicated that version 1.0 is actually the latest version, not 1.8. My version is 1.0

I want to say mine is 1.8, where do you download new firmware at? I couldn't find on the website... Also, any way to make the wii look better?

I want to say mine is 1.8, where do you download new firmware at? I couldn't find on the website... Also, any way to make the wii look better?

you can only send back to WH to get the latest firmware update.
Btw, I believe 1.8 is the newest. I got 2 in december and they came with 1.0.

I got 1.8 via Costco.

I noticed improvements in IQ going from composite -> component cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back