Western Digital WD2500ks Questions

TicTac

Limp Gawd
I have just bought a new Western Digital wd2500ks 250gb SE 16 Hard Drive and have a few questions:

1) I bought a refurbished version and thought it would be black but the top metal is silver, is this how it should be?

2) My other hard drive is a Seagate 7200.9 160gb. I put in this hard drive through the front of my Thermaltake Soprano, and it is a lot noizier, and when I turn my fans down low it is probably the loudest component in my system. Its not an inconsistent sound, and I thought it was vibration at fist, but both the hard drives are in the same position and moving the WD HD doesn't make much of a difference. I read this WD hard drive was really quiet, does the above sound wrong?

3) I didn't realise that the WD SecureConnect Cable doesn't provide any power (does the supposed "stability" actually help?) so I am using a 4 pin, is there a chance using Sata Power might help?

4) Would the speed difference between a full 160gb Seagate 7200.9 and my new Western Digital wd2500ks be worth trying to transfer my Operating system over and using the 160gb for stoarge?

Sorry if the questions are too vague and/or silly but I would appreciate any advice?

Thanks.

1) Does it really matter?

2) Get some rubber grommets. My 2500KS is nearly silent.

3) Help with what? You power the drive however works. DO NOT use SATA power and 4-pin power at the same time.

4) No idea. Check www.storagereview.com

1. All 6 of my WD2500KS have black tops, but I just put a newer one into a customers PC, and it was silver.

2. They can get very loud on intensive seeks. Rubber grommets should help quite a bit in this area.

3. The SecureConnect doesn't provide power, it just locks all the components together so that they won't snap parts off of the drive.

4. They're pretty evenly matched. My guess would be Seagate = fast boot, WD = fast game load ? That's only a guess, though.

it just confuses me why my Seagate has no rubber gromets and is so quiet compared to my WD2500ks that is really noisy.

I just wanted to check that the silver cover meant that my hard drive wsa different in some way.

And I probably won't bother with transferring my OS the WD as I don't think the benefits would be there.

Thanks very much for the help.

Back