Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB - $279.99

Hmm, just noticed Newegg dropped the price on this drive from $299.99 to $289.99 with free shipping. That's a good trend.

Can anyone tell me about the noise level on these drives? I need my pc near silent. Thanks.

In September my bro was gonna get me one of these for my b-day (he has one), but I think SSDs should be go to go by then in terms of price, selection and stock. I really want a faster drive! My .10 is kinda basic. Guess I'll have to wait it out.

In September my bro was gonna get me one of these for my b-day (he has one), but I think SSDs should be go to go by then in terms of price, selection and stock. I really want a faster drive! My .10 is kinda basic. Guess I'll have to wait it out.

Yup, I think so too, SSD price war about to begin.

I would suggest doing the ebay live cash back deal. Makes a Velociraptor about $226.75 shipped.

What I find hilarious is whos selling them, speaking they wont fit in a Mac Pro due to the design, they'd run too hot in the cramped HDD enclousure of a Powermac G5, a G4 it would be wasted in, and it'd melt an iMac. :D

WD is creating one for the enterprise that does not have the heatsink. I'd wait for that one.

havent purchased a new case in a few years but....do new cases even have 2.5" slots to mount drives in? from my understanding, one of the reasons (besides heat dissipation) for that heatsink is to allow you to mount the drive in a 3.5" slot

havent purchased a new case in a few years but....do new cases even have 2.5" slots to mount drives in? from my understanding, one of the reasons (besides heat dissipation) for that heatsink is to allow you to mount the drive in a 3.5" slot
That's right

Why would you spend 279.00 on this, when you could buy 4 drives for the same price, RAID them and blow this thing away with several times the throughput.

What do you really get with a faster HD? Faster load times?

For games? Yah and not much else from all I read. Almost bit on this, but then went through trying to find any credible source for how it impacts gaming and other then faster load times (we're talking an extra 4 to 8 seconds of wait time on 1TB HDD's at half the $$), it does not impact gaming and most places I saw the 7200RPM 32mb cache 640MB+ HDD's weren't far behind the Velociraptor and with SSD coming down in price, I may just get a 64GB SSD for certain games, but till then I went with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB HDD for $159

https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005936

I went from a 500GB Barracuda 7200.10 to the 300GB Raptor today, and the machine feels entirely different. Really, this drive kicks major ass.

What do you really get with a faster HD? Faster load times?

Why would you spend 279.00 on this, when you could buy 4 drives for the same price, RAID them and blow this thing away with several times the throughput.

Sounds exactly like SLI/Crossfire vs single-GPU argument that happens every day here.

People who use RAID do not like to admit to the problems it can cause. RAID also uses more power and, of course, there are 2x to 4x more drives to keep cool. I'd choose a Velociraptor over RAID every time if I had the money (already have Raptor 150GB). I really like the responsiveness of fast access times.

$300 for a HD? $1/GB? Yikes.

This product is targeted at hard core enthusiasts who seek absolute performance at almost any price.
The price per GB ratio is not much relevant here since performance is king.

To those that are raving:

Are these faster than their 150GB counterparts, or is the speed increase nearly identical to the old ones?

Back