Western Digital updates the Raptor for Modders

Well the idea was there but that tiny window is a joke. What's the point without lighting too?

I'm happy they at least made the attempt though. I would rather see skins on the drives instead.

How the hell do you see the tops of the drives anyway when they are in the case?

Worthless

we're case modders... if the top of the hard drive is clear you can be sure we'll make a mod so you can see it. :)

J-M-E said:
How the hell do you see the tops of the drives anyway when they are in the case?

Worthless

Don't make me make a tower of hard drives.

Sorry, I've tried the diy hd mod myself, and although some of the drives continue to function, I'd much rather have something like that done by the manufacturer. I can't believe the number of ppl whining about this being 'pre-modded'; where are all of your complaints about simple things like illuminated keyboards. Or even trying to 'hide' wiring by stuffing it behind panels instead of making ur own custom harness of appropriate length? Get off your hi horses.

Techx said:
screw the window, give me a reliable HD, that's all anyone should want out of their HD aside from performance
That's fairly presumptuous. I'd hazard that if asked, the vast majority of people would say that about thier pc's in general. Fortunatley, I don't live in that world.

J-M-E said:

Worthless
Depends what your 'case' looks like, doesn't it? I'd like a set of these drives for my rig (not complete):

colossus_1.jpg

colossus_0.jpg

im sure someone will pay the money for it. it just doesnt look right and i would rather get a huge hard drive for that price.

I agree that it's pricey and the looks could be improved, but I like the basic idea and it is kindof cool that modding has migrated up the chain to hard drive manufacturers. I mean, it really doesn't take much thought or effort for some podunk import company to stamp out some cheesey mod cases with windows or rebrand their car lighting products as 'pc accessories', but this product required some real r&d.

Also, I'd say it's just a matter of time before the competion offers similar products and ultimately the price drops a bit; but there will always be a premium for niche products.

The biggest disapointment is the fact that it is not SATA II , or am i wrong?

Back