Western Digital Sentinel DX4000 16TB

HardOCP News

[H] News
Looking for a network attached storage device for your small business, home office or massive media collection? Check out this review of the 16TB Western Digital Sentinel DX4000 at eTeknix today.

The Sentinel is a first in a line of self designed NAS solutions that can be purchased with drives pre-installed in a variety of capacities, varying from a modest 2TB, right up to a whopping 16TB. Unlike other NAS solutions on the market, one of the main features that sets this system apart from the rest is the use of Windows Storage Server 2008 and a auto configuration process during the initial set-up that automatically builds the drives into a RAID5 array – the preferred choice for NAS solutions as this gives the best data security and will ensure no data is lost, should one drive fail during operation.

I've read elsewhere that RAID5 isn't the best choice for large drives. Usually another drive will fail during the array rebuild. Most solutions seem to be moving towards RAID6, or RAID10.

Usually another drive will fail during the array rebuild.

I would say there is a chance of failure of a second disk after a first disk failing but certianly not usually. If it was that bad RAID 10 would not be safe either.

Last edited:
I have the 8TB version at work, uses the RE4 drives. It is SLOW compared to our freenas boxes.

Have one of these in the office as well. While it isn't by any means fast it's still faster than some of the setups I've tried over time. I'd give it middling speed at best. (Mine's setup as a Raid 10 OOB so I'm not sure if they changed it to Raid 5 later in production or what. Mine was an early unit.)

Also, as stated above, it does use the RE4 (RE = "Really Expensive" in this case) drives which are enterprise grade. That factors into the cost significantly.

I spoke on the phone with WD a day or so ago and they mentioned they were working on a more powerful "v2" product. I would imagine if that's true that would take care of some of the sluggishness as it really is underpowered.

That and an option to switch software loads would be awesome.

Have one of these in the office as well. While it isn't by any means fast it's still faster than some of the setups I've tried over time. I'd give it middling speed at best. (Mine's setup as a Raid 10 OOB so I'm not sure if they changed it to Raid 5 later in production or what. Mine was an early unit.)

Also, as stated above, it does use the RE4 (RE = "Really Expensive" in this case) drives which are enterprise grade. That factors into the cost significantly.

I spoke on the phone with WD a day or so ago and they mentioned they were working on a more powerful "v2" product. I would imagine if that's true that would take care of some of the sluggishness as it really is underpowered.

That and an option to switch software loads would be awesome.

Mine was defaulted to Raid-5. I did have one unit die and the warranty service was great. They sent out a advance replacement without even putting a CC down.

Back