Western Digital My Net N900 HD

HardOCP News

[H] News
Legit Reviews threw a little review lovin' on Western Digital's new My Net N900 HD dual band router. So, was WD's first foray into routers a success? Here's a quote from the review:

The device that we are focusing in on today is the Western Digital My Net N900 which is a dual-band router specifically designed and optimized for movies, games, video, music and other multimedia and entertainment services. This HD dual-band router is rated at 900 Mbps Wi-Fi speed (450 + 450 Mbps) has 7 Gigabit Ethernet ports, two USB ports and a retail price of $179.99.

I was actually waiting for someone to come out with a review on this one. The much cheaper N600 is on amazon now for a penny under $80. I might just pick it up to replace my aging and morally obsolete Dlink DIR-655.

/edit bought it. :)

Only time I replace routers is when the old one craps out on me. Usually old routers crash when there's a lot of traffic. Now I have EnGenius ESR9850 and that thing is fast and rock solid. Only complaint is no DD-WRT. That's a huge minus, but chances are no DD-WRT for this Western Digital router as well.

Only time I replace routers is when the old one craps out on me. Usually old routers crash when there's a lot of traffic. Now I have EnGenius ESR9850 and that thing is fast and rock solid. Only complaint is no DD-WRT. That's a huge minus, but chances are no DD-WRT for this Western Digital router as well.

I won't buy a router that's not DDWRT-capable and haven't in years. I know that takes some worthy contenders out of the field, but most factory firmwares suck ass; few manufacturers put decent GUIs on their routers with good configurability (Linksys used to be an exception to this, but I don't know if it still is).

Well, that didn't take long. I got the N600 router today, and the dual-band does make a big difference - it's twice as fast as my DIR-655 (which I had to set to 20mhz only, due to it being unstable at 20/40). So, as soon as I loaded the N600 as I normally do, with NAS and torrent client connected, it hung.

On top of that, N600 is a 10/100 router, which I didn't notice in a rush to order - if you want gigabit ports, spend more money.

But, the interface is very clean and easy to use, and the device look nice. Perhaps if I can get my hands on N750 (it's $99 on bestbuy.com), I'll try that next (it does have gigabit ports).

Last edited:
Back