Western Digital Launches Rugged Portable SSDs

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In a press release today, Western Digital is launching a line of rugged SSDs aimed at photographers under it's "G-Technology" branding. The SSD-R Series is USB-C, IP67 rated for water and dust resistance, shock resistant to up to a 9.8ft/3m drop onto concrete, and can withstand up to 1,000lbs of pressure, and has a maximum transfer speed of 560MB/s.

The R-Series will be launching sometime this year with the 500GB at $200, the 1TB at $380, and a 2TB for $700.

I personally think these look great, and the price tag is quite nice. I understand going USB-C for the speed, but there are still many systems and motherboards out there that are lacking it (mine included) so hopefully it does not have a fixed cable or proprietary connector.

Being an on-the-go photographer requires being confident and secure with tools to work with. The G-DRIVE mobile SSD R-Series device is protected by an industry-leading five-year limited warranty and is designed to provide high-performance storage for years to come.

Kromix

Limp Gawd

Spidey329

[H]F Junkie
I'd assume these have a separate cable. If not, female to male adapters do exist to go to a USB3 plug.

I recently bought a new external HD enclosure and opted for the USB-C model. My laptop and desktop both have a port, but I did it because I have a bunch of USB-c to USB3.1 cables. Better to future proof that way. The enclosure itself came with one, so I still haven't used my USB-C port on any computer.

katanaD

[H]ard|Gawd

otherweeb

Gawd
subject to data loss if stored in hot rooms. and if your storing computer equipment in 90 deg F rooms, then i think there are bigger issues at play

So your saying photographers aren't gonna leave their equipment in the back of a car or travel to the tropics?

katanaD

[H]ard|Gawd
So your saying photographers aren't gonna leave their equipment in the back of a car or travel to the tropics?

LOL if your leaving your gear in the back of a hot car for weeks at a time i have to question whether you really care about said gear to begin with