Western Digital Introduces WD Black PCIe Solid State Drives To Accelerate NVME Adoption

HardOCP News

[H] News
Western Digital Corporation today announced the availability of new WD Black® PCIe solid state drives (SSDs), the first WD-branded client PCIe SSDs. The new SSDs complement the recently announced WD Blue® and WD Green® SATA SSDs, as well as the company's industry leading family of hard drives for PCs and workstations, providing a full portfolio of WD storage devices for virtually any application. The WD Black PCIe SSD is a performance PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe-based SSD that delivers more than three times the sequential read speeds of current SATA SSDs. The 256GB and 512GB capacities make it ideal as a boot drive when paired with a high-capacity hard drive, or as primary storage when building a future-ready PC. Consumers who are using the new WD Black PCIe SSD to boot up, load read-intensive games or applications, or shut down a system may realize a performance improvement of more than 10 seconds when compared to SATA SSDs.

So it will shut down before you even press shut down? :eek:

It's a shame they are putting the 'Black' moniker on such a mediocre offering.

More players in the market is always a good thing for consumers.

I'm not sure I'd be ready to trust WD SSD's quite yet (though that didn't stop me from trying to buy a couple of blue 250gig drives for the $19.99 price).

I wonder hat the story is behind their drives. Are they an I -house design? Have they live sed someone else's controller?

More players in the market is always a good thing for consumers.

I'm not sure I'd be ready to trust WD SSD's quite yet (though that didn't stop me from trying to buy a couple of blue 250gig drives for the $19.99 price).

I wonder hat the story is behind their drives. Are they an I -house design? Have they live sed someone else's controller?

didn't they buy Sandisk?

The rumor is that this is their first original design (after buying SanDisk) and it will most likely be based on the Marvell 88SS1093 with SanDisk 15nm TLC.

Back