Western Digital Increases WD Gold Hard Drives Capacity By 25 Percent

HardOCP News

[H] News
Western Digital Corporation, a world leader in storage solutions, today announced a new, high-capacity configuration of up to 10TB for its award-winning WD Gold™ datacenter hard drives. Designed for modern enterprise storage systems, WD Gold 10TB datacenter hard drives feature HelioSeal® helium-technology for high capacity, power efficient storage for datacenter environments. WD Gold datacenter hard drives are designed for a broad range of applications – including small- to medium-scale enterprise servers and storage, and rack-mount datacenter servers and storage enclosures. WD Gold 10TB datacenter hard drives feature an optimized design over the existing WD Gold 8TB drives that helps reduce TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) of servers and storage systems through an 8 percent operating power reduction while delivering 25 percent more capacity. This benefits IT administrators challenged with keeping up with growing storage demands on limited budgets.

Cliffs notes: WD joins the club and releases 10TB enterprise class drive that's a little bit more power efficient than their old 8TB drives.

It's good they have a 10TB drive now.

I try and stay away from the highest capacity drives since they tend to be less reliable and more expensive per TB.
I've had to start using 8TB drives in one of my servers, so this should push the 8TB drives more into the mainstream, and make them a better price point.

It's good they have a 10TB drive now.

I try and stay away from the highest capacity drives since they tend to be less reliable and more expensive per TB.
I've had to start using 8TB drives in one of my servers, so this should push the 8TB drives more into the mainstream, and make them a better price point.

More worried about the uncorrectable error rate on these larger drives as the larger the capacity of the drive, the higher the chance you run into one during a raid rebuild...

So 5 instead of 4 platters. +1 risk factor...
Says who?

2x10TB = 20TB with 10 platters

10x2TB = 20TB with 30 platters

The 10TB per drive solution has 1/3rd the platters.

If the failure rate for any of the above hard drives is 2% per year, on the first you have a 4% chance of needing to replace a drive that year, vs the smaller drives where you have a 20% chance of needing to replace a drive and going through the hassle of an RMA.

Advantages to these drives for sure. Just pointing out there is an increased risk going from a single 8TB drive. If they were both 4 platter drives, it would likely be a clear cut improvement.

Last edited:
More worried about the uncorrectable error rate on these larger drives as the larger the capacity of the drive, the higher the chance you run into one during a raid rebuild...

Which is why you use Raid 6, Raid 10 or something higher, and you set your raid controller to do read scans during off hours to scan and lock out bad blocks.

Back