Western Digital hoping for 5x larger hard drives with HAMR

SirMaster

2[H]4U
I think the 60TB part in 2016 is somehow a misquote. I mean that is 15 times not 5..

That's what I think too. Or it could mean that HAMR first means 5x and then it could be further expanded on to reach 60. 6TB helium drives are working now so that would at least mean 30TB with HAMR now. Pehaps they anticipate 12TB drives in 2016 and then makes 60 with HAMR applied to them.

Shingled is already working in He/7Platter 10TB out of the lab, currently in EVT. HAMR is working in drives already in the lab (HGST, WDC and Seagate (STA members)) at 3TB/platter in 3.5" and working drives and up to 5TB/platter at TDK for head and platter development and they are also looking more into bit patterned media (HAMR is their major focus until/when they can find a way to mass produce BPM.)

As to the 60tb quote reposted in tweaktown and elsewhere, that is what the technology is currently viewed as capable of if all the technology and manufacturing problems were resolved and all the stars aligned in the sky.

Last edited:
Considering larger capacities launches have considerably slowed down to the point we seem stuck, I won't be holding my breath.

I have 32TB (8x4TB) of data. I don't think I could produce 60TB of data. Certainly not 480TB (8x60TB).

You`ll need this much storage once the higher-res movies, and TV shows start rolling out :D

Why not just strap a bunch of LSI 4tb SSDs together and say it's a single drive. Won't have to worry about losing data during a power failure either.

Back