Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB $84.99+FS

when are 1.5 tb drive gonna be this price? it seems hard drive prices have been in a steady decline lately.

Any one run these in raid? Looking to do raid 0+1 for my movie collection.

Newegg's shipping isn't that bad. In fact, every drive (WD) I've ordered from them is fine to this day, except a Seagate from a couple years ago that I returned because it sounded like a jet engine.

How is the quality on these drives ? I know newegg comments aren't generally the best, but a few people have said they break a lot

I got two a couple months ago from Amazon. Lovely drives. I use only WD, actually.

How is the quality on these drives ? I know newegg comments aren't generally the best, but a few people have said they break a lot

I have 2 in a HTPC and 1 in an external enclosure, and would buy a dozen more if I could afford it, they are awesome.

i just ordered the wd black 1TB. i think it was the FALS... dont remember.

either way, when i received it from newegg, it was wrapped in about 5 inches of bubble tape and packed pretty well in a big box filled with peanuts. delicious peanuts.

i have, however, ordered $2500 worth of crap from newegg in the past and received 2 boxes with a couple peanuts sprinkled around on top. pretty horrible.

but hey, this time it was awesome.

Bah.. I bought one of those for $105 a month ago.. not from Newegg.. at the time they were $99 + shipping.

Nokia: AFAIK you do not want to RAID these. They have variable RPM's and other various power saving features that can cause them to fail in RAID arrays. The RE drives from WD are what you want if you're looking for a drive built just for RAID, they cost a fair amount more but are worth it. If you don't want to spend that much the Black series WD are the next best thing to get. Bear in mind unless you've got a good hardware RAID controller with a dedicated CPU/cache RAID probably won't be worth the effort (Intel Matrix RAID, NVRAID, Sil, JMicron, Promise, Highpoint softRAID are all crap, do not bother with them), unless you just want RAID1.

Personally I'd save up for a couple of SSD's and RAID those instead of bothering with mechanical hard drives for anything except mass storage. Good SSD's are pricey right now, but they're improving in speed/cost/capacity rapidly so I don't think you'd have to wait more than 3-6 months to buy a couple.

Last edited:
Nokia: AFAIK you do not want to RAID these. They have variable RPM's and other various power saving features that can cause them to fail in RAID arrays. The RE drives from WD are what you want if you're looking for a drive built just for RAID, they cost a fair amount more but are worth it. If you don't want to spend that much the Black series WD are the next best thing to get. Bear in mind unless you've got a good hardware RAID controller with a dedicated CPU/cache RAID probably won't be worth the effort (Intel Matrix RAID, NVRAID, Sil, JMicron, Promise, Highpoint softRAID are all crap, do not bother with them), unless you just want RAID1.

Personally I'd save up for a couple of SSD's and RAID those instead of bothering with mechanical hard drives for anything except mass storage. Good SSD's are pricey right now, but they're improving in speed/cost/capacity rapidly so I don't think you'd have to wait more than 3-6 months to buy a couple.

/novel

32MB cache... That's more than the velociraptor's 16MB. We know it's not as fast as the velociraptor, but does the extra cache make a nice difference?

thank you for the time to respond.
I got that route you stated and save up to get a dedicated raid card.

Back