Western Digital caviar black 1TB Vs. 1.5TB?

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
I was just curious, as I was eyeing them and there DOES actually seem to be a few difference aside from size that I was curious if mattered or not.

First of all, on the descriptions it cites a few accuracy and anti-vibration features that seem to only apply to the 1.5/2TB models. Are those significant?

Also would the 1.5 model be thicker due to having more platters? I know the 1TB has 4 and the 2TB has 8....so I'm not sure about the 1.5....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...36793&cm_re=WD1502FAEX-_-22-136-793-_-Product

Also would the 1.5 model be thicker due to having more platters?

No. However the area around the disk may be more sunk in for the 1TB model.

Also would the 1.5 model be thicker due to having more platters? I know the 1TB has 4 and the 2TB has 8....so I'm not sure about the 1.5....

No you are talking about heads. The 1 TB will be 2 x 500GB disks, the 1.5 TB will most likely be 3 x 500GB disks and the 2TB will be 3 (667GB) or 4 (500GB) disks.

Last edited:
No. However the area around the disk may be more sunk in for the 1TB model.

No you are talking about heads. The 1 TB will be 2 x 500GB disks, the 1.5 TB will most likely be 3 x 500GB disks and the 2TB will be 3 (667GB) or 4 (500GB) disks.

Do you know anywhere that counts it as 3 platters? I guess I just remember a while ago if you got a weird sized drive that it may need more platters to cover the space and it can be a bad number of platters spreading the data across so much that it made it less efficient or something (aka the less platters the better, so when platter size grew and you picked the right size drive you were getting the best and most efficient amount of platters....i'm guessing that's less of an issue these days though?).

But yeah if it's the exact right amount I guess that's good.

What about the other features though that were mentioned only for the 1.5 and 2TB models? Would that affect anything giving the 1.5TB drive the upper hand? Why would they give those features to those 2 and not the other drives across the caviar black line?

Last edited:
Back