Western Digital Announces Ultrastar He12 12 TB And 14 TB HDDs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
These are expected to begin shipping out in the first half (12 TB) and middle (14 TB) of next year, although the larger version is more of an exclusive that will be available to select clients only, being a host-managed SMR HDD. Internals have gone through a redesign to fit an additional platter, but general specifications (e.g., transfer rate of up to 255 MB/s, average latency of 4.16 ms ) remain consistent.

The HGST Ultrastar He12 HDD can store up to 12 TB of data, whereas its version based on shingled magnetic recording technology has a capacity of 14 TB (note, both are under the He12 brand). It is noteworthy that to increase the capacity of the HDD, Western Digital had to increase both the amount of platters in the new drives as well as their areal density. The HGST Ultrastar He12 is built upon a completely new platform featuring eight platters, up from seven inside previous-gen drives that use Western Digital’s HelioSeal technology. The manufacturer does not reveal a lot about the new HDDs, but it looks like as the company has learned more about helium-filled drives and managed to squeeze eight platters into a 3.5” HDD to increase capacity.

Now we wait until they're introduced into MyBooks so that they can be shucked on the cheap, just like the He8.
Will probably happen with the He10 first though.

F*ck SMR though, I'll stick with the 12TB He12.

Imagine the capacity if we had stuck with 5.25" drives. With optical media becoming obsolete, using those bays for a couple of hard drives would have been a nice transition move.

If you can get 14TB onto a 3.25", I guarantee a 5.25" could do 24TB.

And what to fill it with?

High definition 3D 360o video! I imagine a camera that has two forward facing and two rear facing 4K fisheye lens cameras, which would make for some bigass files for VR.

Well, mass storage for archival purposes or when you do not need fast storage would be great in these instances.

Imagine the capacity if we had stuck with 5.25" drives. With optical media becoming obsolete, using those bays for a couple of hard drives would have been a nice transition move.

High definition 3D 360o video! I imagine a camera that has two forward facing and two rear facing 4K fisheye lens cameras, which would make for some bigass files for VR.

There's already some specialized camera rigs that have around 24 cameras in a sphere. The data they generate is massive.

Wait. It's an SMR drive?
Okay, pass.
Only the 14TB model.
12TB model is still good 'ol PMR.
With the caveat that they do it right and not release another Quantum Bigfoot.
I've deal with enough of those POSs back in the day to dislike them.

Quantum-Bigfoot-4GB-IDE-Hard-Drive-Bigfoot-TX.jpg

As for what to fill it with, my 128TB server is already 70% occupied...

I really don't have a great way to back up my 3 and 4TB drives as-is. However, the stuff I'm not backing up is not mission critical and can be re-acquired if I need to. I'm use SnapRAID for a little bit of data protection, but realize it's no the same as a backup.
Still - give me 5 of these puppies. My server would not run out of space any time soon.

I was gonna make some sort of pr0n joke, but the reality is that I could put these to use in my xbox one. 100gigs for halo 5 alone.... Okokok, maybe 14tb is too much now, but my 4tb drive is getting close to full.

There's already some specialized camera rigs that have around 24 cameras in a sphere. The data they generate is massive.
Dayum, but yeah unfortunately the manf's could give two rats asses about us.

We may flex our e-peen over the fact that we have 24tb servers or something, but youtube alone probably uses 24TB up every day. If Google says "we want XYZ" then we get XYZ sloppy seconds.

I was most impressed with 5TB in 2.5".

Also 255MB/s on a platter?? Not too shabby. I didn't think I would see platter able to saturate a SATA2 bus.

Those engineers at HGST are some of the smartest I've ever worked with. I'm never surprised at what they come up with next.

Back